The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For sale: used stock header with heat shield and 4X EGT sensors installed. The sensors are open tipped type-K thermocouples with typical mini blade end connections. The images show the wires being loose but they have since been wrapped with D-25 shrink tubing and are meant to be routed along the upper flange of the rear subframe. The EGR extension tube has been removed and capped. EGR is not utilized on 2zz-ge Elise/Exige and is normally capped from Lotus. I was able to pass emissions visual in CA at a Star Certified location without issue. No known issues, should be plug-n-play on any 2zz-ge Elise/Exige.

Sold as is, no refunds or warranties.

Cost: $75 + domestic shipping
Header
4X sensors
Heat shield
New donut seal

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Price drop - $75 + shipping.

Someone take this! Pick up a TypeK thermocouple amplifier box and you'll be up and running.

·
Registered
43 Posts
What does one use the Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) data for?

When to 'bail out' before the rear clamshell ignites? At what EGT is (body) ignition ?

With an ECU ... and without any software to change various parameters as to the spark plug firing, fuel injected, and such ... questions abound.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are the main functions I'm using them for:
  • CAN dash enabled warning lights
  • Limp mode with aftermarket ECUs
  • Individual cylinder fueling corrections

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks.

You might want to say which aftermarket ECU uses these features, that maybe you or somebody else "worked out the kinks" ...

The 2005 Elise has very little on the CANbus, and I really do not think it has the "brains" nor any I/O to be programmed for an EGT.
The stock 2005 ECU is a "cheap" (but inflated priced) ECU. It appears to me that the processor is limited, and based upon its age, I'd bet the processor isn't available any more. Its software appears to be crude IMHO ... . Its "case" ... baring the Lotus symbol ... is exactly as some decades ago golf carts ... if that says anything about the Lotus ECU.

Looks like a super "buy" for someone running an after market ECU with the I/O to use these thermocouples.

All the best.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You might want to say which aftermarket ECU uses these features, that maybe you or somebody else "worked out the kinks" ...
An aftermarket ECU is not needed to utilize EGT sensors. An aftermarket ECU does allow for more thorough integration and more options with how the information is used/displayed/logged.

As I said in an earlier post, an amplifier is needed for any thermocouple sensor setup. You can build DIY setups that will generate an analog output (someone could get really creative and rewrite the stock ECU code to implement a number of features), SPI, I2C, CAN or other communication protocols. Or you can buy a dedicated Type-K amplifier module(s) from various vendors - ECUMasters, Motec, Haltech, AEM, Megasquirt, PLX, Innovate... the list is virtually endless.

There are lots of ways this could be used.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts