The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SOLD! Complete GAZ Shock / H&R Spring Package, NEW

SOLD

Figured this could go to a good home for someone on here....

This is a complete coilover setup with GAZ adjustable shocks and H&R springs...

Tech details:
- Two 8 inch and two 10 inch GAZ adjustables (ride height, bump and rebound)
- H&R Springs -
Fronts - 200mm length, 60mm ID, 286lbs, H&R part number RF200050
Rears - 250mm length, 60mm ID, 229lbs, H&R part number RF250040
- Spring perch adapters so that the new springs sit properly without moving. Machined to fit 2.50 inch springs.

This setup goes for about $1600 on Pukesprit.de and doesnt come with the spring perch adapters.
Im looking to get $1000 shipped for everything here. Nothing has been installed on my car, everything is new in the box.
Edit 12/03 - NOW $900 SHIPPED
Edit 12/10 - now $800 shipped!

pics:

Please PM me. I will be going by timestamps on the PM if there is more than one serious offer...

Jamie

·
Super Moderator
4,265 Posts
[snip]
This is a complete coilover setup with GAZ adjustable shocks and H&R springs...
[snip]

This setup goes for about $1600 on Pukesprit.de and doesnt come with the spring perch adapters.[snip]
Could you please clarify if any of these parts are from Pukesprit.de or is this strictly for comparison purposes? Your signature link seems to indicate it is a kit you assembled?

I've having trouble understanding the spring rates of the HR springs - why they are considered for road use? The Pukesprit.de site makes no mention of the actual DOT 4/5 rates (perhaps they did in the past?) so it's difficult to compare to your spring rate selection.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is a kit I personally assembled by buying the components separately, not from PUK.... PUK sells the GAZ shocks and I was only using their prices as a comparison....
Im not sure the brand of spring they sell, but a 286lb spring rate spring is a 286lb spring rated spring no matter who its from, and H&R is well known :)

From the PUK site:
- Road use: DOT 4/5
- Sport road use: DOT 5/6
- Fast road / light track use: DOT 6/7
- Track use: DOT 7/8

Their DOT scale represents 10 N/mm so the "Road use" they recommends is 40 N/mm front and 50 N/mm rear. The Metric spring rating is N-m and the H&R springs come in 10 Nm increments (N/mm x 5.709 = pounds / inch). That translates to about 229 lb/in and 286 lb/in.

Also, to clarify something else on the adapters...
The spring adapters being offered here are for the top in the rears. To adapt the spring to the Esprit Chassis spring perch. These springs here are 60mm but the adapters are for a 2.5 inch spring. The adapters can VERY easily be machined in a lathe to work. Your machine shop will thank you for brining in the easiest job they've had all day....
On the rear the chassis spring perch is a disk with a ring protruding on the inside of the spring rather than on the outside like a cup. Using a smaller 2.5" or 60mm spring will not fit around the spring locating ring on the top and you need the adapter.

·
Super Moderator
4,265 Posts
[snip]
From the PUK site:
- Road use: DOT 4/5
- Sport road use: DOT 5/6
- Fast road / light track use: DOT 6/7
- Track use: DOT 7/8

Their DOT scale represents 10 N/mm so the "Road use" they recommends is 40 N/mm front and 50 N/mm rear. The Metric spring rating is N-m and the H&R springs come in 10 Nm increments (N/mm x 5.709 = pounds / inch). That translates to about 229 lb/in and 286 lb/in.
[snip]
Ah, OK - I didn't know the DOT 4/5 was 10N/mm - so that makes it clear now why you have the spring you do.

I'm converting to 17" wheels and know that with the shorter sidewall, it's going to be a slightly harsher ride - was trying to estimate what a stiffer shock/spring set up would do to my kidneys :panic:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Ok folks here is the deal. I have received numerous requests asking if these fit a V8. PUK offers two different types of springs with their kit, one for cars with and one for cars without wheelarches. Marcus got back to me and said that the V8 would sit really low with my current springs for the fronts offered here and for a V8/wheelarch cars they usually sell springs that are 250mm (10 inches) for the front.
However, Travis (Vulcan Grey) here mentioned that he had a kit that was designed for a V8 with 8" springs in the front, but the ride height had to be jacked up on his car in order to get proper ride height.
Jeff Robinson at JAE Parts also said this would work with adjustable height shocks like GAZ.
Another factor to consider is spring rating. The v8 is a heavier car and the springs I am offering for the front might not be up to par with what should be there.
It is up to you to decide if you want to try to make these work on a V8.

You are still saving LOADS of money on this kit, and two additional springs shouldnt be that expensive... especially for those of you who can afford V8 esprits ;) haha. Im not splitting this kit up so you could still sell the fronts should you decide to get replacement ones for a V8...

My disclaimer here is that I accept no responsibility here should you decide to try to use these on your car and I do not claim to have knowledge of installing suspension in a lotus. It is the buyers job to do the research to see if they would work on their particular car. I will not accept returns if these "dont work" on your car.

Also, the current price of $800 still stands, for people in the US. For canadians, this is a 31lb box and will cost me about $100 to ship up there, so Ill take a small hit and send it all for $850... anywhere else in the world, shoot me an address and ill get you a quote...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts