The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
FS in TX: '05 Elise StormTi/Red, Touring, Hardtop, 72K, $24K, clear title

Have been watching the Evora prices drop to a point now where I'm pretty tempted so I am considering a quick sale of my Elise to jump on one, or perhaps something like a new stingray that I can get serviced here in oil patch USA.... or maybe even a fat pig like a new z28 ;-)

Bought the Elise year and a half ago, but it was my 2nd elise. I had one of the first 2005s in TX and kept it through 2008. Loved it and bought the current one as a bit of a weekend project car but honestly haven't had time to work on any of the projects on it so I think I need something more turn key.

Details:

2005 Elise
72xxx miles
Clean title
Storm Titanium w/Red Leather
Touring Pkg
Hardtop
Alpine head unit, amp, 10" sub and JL audio 6" and 4"
Located in Corpus Christi TX

Body is in remarkably good shape. Runs great too. Starts right up every time, runs right where it should on the temps, shifts nice and smooth. But it does have some issues. Nothing that isn't well documented here on how to fix which is why I bought it, but I am simply too busy with other projects (completely remodeling our home) to get it done any time soon.

Known Issues:

- A/C fan blower is not working. I'm sure this is the standard resistor pack failure, which can be fixed reasonably cheaply ($300ish?) if you do all the labor. I tested the compressor and initially it did not come on, but after some research here I came up with the idea that perhaps the relay up under the drivers wheel well was toast and jumped the wires on the fuse panel and sure enough it clicked on and got the line cold. So, it will likely need a new fan/resistor pack, and the A/C relay. But it hasn't worked since I bought it and A/C is a requirement in S. Texas so thats another reason why I need a turn key weekend car.

- Seats have worn out, some holes in the drivers side and the stuffing under the leather is dried out and crumbling. They will need reupholstered. The doors are fine.

- At some point over the winter the GFCI circuit in my garage tripped off and the trickle charger I keep on the car stopped charging the battery (Optima yellow top) and went completely 100% dead. This resulted in the car ECU tripping a P0630 code, which is a mismatched VIN. Apparently this is an easy fix by a dealer with a scan tool but no dealers within hours of me unfortunately. Battery is fine with a full recharge now. Car runs and drives normally but the CEL light comes right back on every time. That is the only code it is throwing. If you search on here you'll find the P0630 is a common issue after a dead battery.

- As soon as the P0630 code came up, the alarm/immobilizer started to flake out because of the VIN error so I disabled it. Never much liked it anyways. I have a key fob and key programmed to it though, and it did work before. Locks work fine from the toggle switch but I don't lock it unless the top is off just in case. I have the Alarm PIN.

- Has a crack in the windshield in the lower left corner. It does not affect visibility and hasn't grown, and honestly is hard to even notice. Car still passes TX inspection. I can get a new windshield for $1100-1200 but honestly don't think its necessary unless it gets worse.

- The hardtop apparently had the lining come unglued and previous owner put a perforated vinyl up there. Looks ok (and could look really nice) but wasn't a professional job. Softtop is in ok condition. Doesn't leak at all and outside is in good shape but touring liner is missing.

- Previous owner didn't do a great job on the audio system so I redid it. It now sounds pretty good for an elise. I put in all new JL Audio speakers (4s up front and 6's in back) and wired it properly. Has a fiberglass sub box that sounds good but doesn't look so great. If you took it out the back panel probably would need replacing as there are wire holes and screw mounts in it.

- Car has some nicks and chips but way less than you'd think for a 70K mile elise. Body is really in decent shape. Clear bra is still good. Some scrapes under the front lip but no cracking and you can't see the scrapes unless you look under the car.

- One of the turn signal lights is loose (clip broke off) and I have safety wired it for now. I did put in HID headlights and LED DRLs. Huge improvement.

- Center console and HVAC are painted Storm Ti and looks ok but not a professional job.

- The steering wheel was worn so I got a used one that is in very good shape and installed it. The airbag cover had gotten the sticky issue so I plastidipped it and put on a new badge and a CF trim ring. It looks very good now.

- Stripes on front of car, can easily be removed. I have the vinyl to finish the rest just haven't had time.

I will get more pictures but it will likely have to wait until this weekend. If anyone is interested please PM me or email at delliott00 (at) yahoo (dot) com.

Car is located in Corpus Christi, TX. I am fairly busy so I would prefer a quick and easy transaction. No lowballers, please. I can always keep it garaged and work on it later as I don't think it will depreciate much.

Here are a few pics, I will get more this weekend.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Ok here are some more details from all the questions I've been asked. I also did a quick wash and took some more pictures but was running out of light.

First, I realized it has 72xxx miles on it, not 71xxx as I mentioned before. I updated that on the original post.

Some more information:

- When I bought it Carfax showed 3 previous owners, so I guess I am number 4. But, I think one of them was just a dealer transfer/retitle, so might have only been 3 individuals.

- Car has been titled and registered/inspected in TX since new from what I can tell on the carfax.

- Wheels are in near perfect shape. Tires are brand new Direzzas (maybe 1500 miles on them).

- I have spent $$$$ money on a lot of little upgrades, such as new Fasttoys floor mats with LotusSport patches sewn on, aluminum carpet buttons, custom made cupholder (my own hack design LOL), new badges front/rear/steering, carbon fiber steering ring, a used steering wheel thats in great shape, new roof gaskets, Brand new JL audio speakers, HID headlights and LED drls, tray divider, leather ebrake boot, etc.

- I also have a Blackwatch gauge holder thats not hooked up yet but I slipped it in for the new pictures below. It has an oil temp/volt autometer set up but again, its not hooked up yet.

Attached are some more pictures. I had the softtop on to wash it so a couple of those, some of the wheels/tires, some of the interior (including the drivers seat which shows the worn areas), the sub/amp, the engine, and the crack in the windshield (which is very hard to see).

Again, the body is in great shape. Actually better than ones I've seen with a lot fewer miles. The hardtop is in the garage, doesn't get used with our year round warm weather here on the coast. It has a few nicks in it but looks good.

I think the car is really close to being a very nice elise. Just needs A/C repairs, seat reupholstery, and a dealer to reset the ECU. I have put a lot of $$$ and hours into fixing a lot of little things.

NOW LISTED FOR $23K or $23.5K with the scoops and BWR gauge kit. I am really looking for an easy transaction as I am very busy with work .... Ideally someone to see it in person, go to a bank branch, have them cut me a check while I watch, and I'll sign over the title. No bank of nigeria checks please LOL....

I've been asked if its road ready... well if you want to drive cross country without A/C you are tougher than me! Also I'm not sure I would arm the alarm until the ECU is cleared as it locked me out the first time I tried it.

I once bought an E30 M3 in Orlando and had to get it back to TX, it had no A/C and a few cooling gremlins so I didn't want to drive it in summer. But I rented a uhaul F150 and a flatbed one way and drove it 18 hours straight. Wasn't bad and was pretty cheap. Something to think about....

Here are some more pics:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some folks have asked for a video so I now have one I can share of the car shifting through all the gears and hitting the 2nd cam. Its a crappy video but hey I never claimed to be a video production person. ;-) It was done with a cell phone and duct tape, so don't expect much, but at least you can see it running well.

Anyone else who wants the link PM me and I'll send it.

Some other inquiries I have gotten....

- Yes it has window tint on the sides. IMHO, very useful down here. But, could easily be peeled off for you northerners....

- Brake pads are at about 40-50% from what I can tell. Rotors look fine. Tires are Direzzas, with the wider profile fronts. This really helps dial out the understeer on the non-sport model. The tires are in almost new shape.

- Yes it does have some squeaks and rattles. However, its not bad IMHO on smooth roads. When I redid the stereo/sub setup I pulled all the plastic pieces out of the back and lined the edges with felt tape, and I lined the back of the sub box with microfiber. I also installed foam baffles behind the JL Audio speakers. And silicone wipes on the door seals. Those few things helped a TON. Also, the stereo is pretty good for an Elise and will easily drown out the rattles ;-)

- And FYI the Alpine head unit is a digital audio receiver. It does not have a CD player in it, just a radio, plus a connection for USB/ipod/iphone. I use a little ipod nano and its awesome. The plug comes out on the drivers side cubby under the light switches. The face plate comes off so it doesn't say steal me. With the amp sub and 4 decent speakers its actually pretty good for an Elise, even top off.

Any other questions let me know.

Thanks.

-Dave

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had a couple of people ask for pics with the hardtop. Have not had much time lately what with family from out of town here for a LONG weekend (too long LOL) and traveling for work but finally put the top on this afternoon and grabbed a few shots.

Also was going through my paperwork/receipts for it and remembered I still had a complete set of carbon fiber side scoops PLUS the no drill attachment kit in a box. I think I got them from Fasttoys? Anyways it was $350 + shipping for em. They are uninstalled right now but I will include them. If the next owner doesn't want them I'm sure they'll sell quick on here, or I could do it and adjust the price. I dug out the box and opened one of them up to grab a picture.

Also, I need to get one of the velcro side covers for the hardtop as it has disappeared. I also remembered I have a $290 credit from lotusgarage from an order I had to cancel so I am going to get the little velcro panel and some A/C parts. It looks like the A/C blower motor resistor pack is $160 and the A/C fan relay is $110 so I should be able to get those for the next owner which should help fix the A/C. The bigger deal is actually taking the front clam off, getting the fan out, and putting all back together so as long as someone is willing to do the labor that may be all the parts it needs for cool A/C. I have all the links and shop manual stuff to do the repairs I just don't have a weekend and extra pair of hands to do it.

So this car REALLY has a lot of extras that come with it. PLUS did I mention it has a CLEAN TITLE? I see a lot of rebuilt salvage cars go for $21-25K on here but this is NOT one of them.

Here are the pics:

Also let me know if these pictures aren't showing up. I know photobucket can get a little stingy and shut off the hosting if they get viewed too many times so I want to make sure they are still visible.

Thanks

-Dave

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Email sent.... Anyone else can contact me here via PM or can email me at delliott00 (at) yahoo (dot) com.

Looks like I have my next car picked out and am going to pick it up in a few days. Might be able to swing a deal with the dealer to do an in and out and save on sales tax, so I might be a bit flexible if someone is ready to buy and the dealer will agree to it.

Derrek that exige is sick. That was one of the pictures I saved when trying to figure out what color scheme to use when striping it. I still have delusions of keeping it every time I walk into the garage ;-)

Thanks.

-Dave

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bump..... Ended up getting a great deal on a used Camaro 2SS with the 1LE track package. Went to look at a new z28 but really think this is a better dual use car for far less than half the price. Basically an SS but with the ZL1's trick suspension, gearbox, steering, wheels/tires etc. Its the opposite of the Elise in every way but it is a great weekend driver and track/autox car and I can get it serviced here easily. Supposedly around the track it will run with far more expensive cars.

SO.....Price on the Elise is reduced to $23K OR $23.5K if you want the CF scoops and the BWR Gauge kit (have had PM offers for both).

Given how many salvage cars are listed here for $22-25K I would think someone would want a clear title car for $23K?

PM me or email delliott00 (at) yahoo (dot) com.

-Dave

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes car is still available! Have been traveling on business the last couple days and just now catching up with inquiries! If you emailed me I'll respond in the next hour or two....

A couple of folks have asked about the oil line recall. When I bought the car I called a dealer and found that it had already been done at the Austin TX dealership. So it should not need that.

Also, I got a quote for a new windshield for someone. I don't think it needs it but if someone wanted one I can provide all the information.

Thanks.

-Dave

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: I have been out of town on business and had put the sale on hold for a couple of weeks. I have two people who want it but are needing to sell their cars first and not sure when or if that'll happen. I haven't been actively trying to sell it much but need to either sell or decide to keep it for now.

I should have the parts that I believe will fix the A/C (resistor pack and the A/C fan relay) by the middle of the week.

A few folks have asked me if I can fix the A/C first so that they don't have to drive it home without air..... Well, the answer is YES but it will cost more as its going to cost me. I have found someone who should be able to do the work. Based on the research from the A/C subforum, I don't think its a hard job, just time consuming. 3 hours or so to pull off the clam, an hour or two to drain the radiator and pull out the old fan, splice in the new resistors, and a few more hours to put it all back together. The Lotus dealer said its a 10 hour job in the book, but I think someone handy could do it in 6-8 hours. I would do it but cannot right now as my garage will be >140 degrees until October here in south TX LOL....

I am willing to sell the car for $22.5K cash, including the A/C parts as is.... you fix the A/C. That would be a cash only deal as long as you have a bank with a branch somewhere in south TX where we could close the deal.

So my question is.... Should I.....

1. Sell the car as is for $22.5K cash, including the parts that should fix the A/C? That is by far the lowest priced clean titled Elise I have found. There are a few that need new clams or major fiberglass repairs or have been stripped out to be a track car, but nothing thats anywhere near as close to being done as mine.

2. Would I be better off paying someone to fix the A/C and selling it at $23.5-24K with working A/C? (depending on how much it costs me when all is said and done)...

3. Or should I get the A/C fixed, replace the windshield, and drive it to houston to have the ECU reflashed and sell it ready to go for ~$25K?

My alternative is to keep it and wait until it cools off a bit when I'll be able to fix it myself cheap.

Thanks.

-Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dave, you asked I'll give an honest opinion of someone that's looking.
First color is all personal preference.

I think your under emphasizing the value of the repairs.

Working A/C is worth much more than 1000-1500 and your saying its an easy fix but not doing it yourself. From a buyers perspective your asking them to take all the risk on your vehicle without the reward.

Agreed on the salvage cars but do you truly believe they sell for close to 20K...
If what people bid on e-bay is any reflection they are going for around 18K with low mileage. Could be wrong I've only been looking for a couple months on and off.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
WaterDoc,

Thanks. I agree color is totally personal. That said Storm is pretty desirable from what I can tell.

Honestly I would fix the A/C but I am in the middle of remodeling a house, doing all the work myself, on top of working 50hrs a week. I simply don't have time to mess with it right now....

Thats why I repriced it at $22.5K, I figure at that price someone with more time than me is willing to do the work and end up way ahead. I made a ton of money on houses that way back when I had more free time LOL....

I am going to see if this mechanic I know wants to tackle the A/C on the side. But if I have him do it, I'll update the price to reflect it. I don't need the money and I know this car is worth what I'm asking so worst case is I fix and keep it and make room in the garage ;-)

There are lots of salvage cars on here for $20-24K.... I wouldn't pay that much so I agree they must be taking less.... Still a lot of states won't even let you title one, and they'll be worth a lot less whenever you resell, so if you can get a clean title car for 10-15% more why wouldn't someone do that? Doesn't make sense to this finance guy. Unless you are only looking for a track car.... in which case it makes perfect sense LOL....

I think I'll put it on ebay, I haven't seen a clear title elise go for less than $22K lately.

-Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dude,
Just fix the A/C, your in Texas on the coast for gosh sakes.
For people that live here its tough to believe the A/C is a simple fix and you just havn't done it... how many cars here are sold "Just low on Freon"...

It is worth alot more fixed than you think, especially a high end specialty car in our part of the world.

Agreed A/C fixed it will go for 22K easy
Without the A/C it won't sell in South Texas for 22K

1 - 20 of 20 Posts