The Lotus Cars Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought these jacking blocks from my Lotus dealer when I saw the service guys using them. It makes jacking the car and putting it on jack stands so easy, I couldn't believe my eyes. The dealer wasn't selling them, but I talked one of the techs into letting me buy them.

They're pretty simple pieces. Just a section of 4x4 with one corner cut off so it will slide in right between where the aluminum belly pan is cut out to clear the tire and the control arm. The block rests against a tub reinforcement member and then you place a jack under the block. Once the car is in the air, you then place a jack stand under the marked jacking point (where you would normally place the jack) and you're all set.

I can't post pictures of the block in place because I don't have the car any longer. Sorry.

$25 plus $15 packing and shipping. And yes, I know that's a lot for a couple of sections of 4x4. But, paying a few bucks for these pieces was a lot easier than making my own. I suspect there are others out there who will also find it worth while to just pay for 'em rather than hassle with making their own.

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Exige-S 240
1,408 Posts
lol.

I really wish I could see pictures to better understand the jacking points, would they be the same places that RLS's Lift Point kit uses? If so, is it ok to lift from there one side at a time (I thought it was not with the lift point kit). Finally, why are there two when only one can be used at a time and they appear to be the same?

Trust me, any safe idea to get this thing on jack stands an easy way is a good idea. So far it seems the jacking bar or ramps (doesn't help when you want it up on 4 stands) are the best option. Maybe this is too, I just want to know more.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Maybe if you lowered your price to 39.95 including shipping, you'd get rid of them right away.........:shrug::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I can't tell if this is a joke or not? I need a new sarcas-o-meter....

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol.

I really wish I could see pictures to better understand the jacking points, would they be the same places that RLS's Lift Point kit uses? If so, is it ok to lift from there one side at a time (I thought it was not with the lift point kit). Finally, why are there two when only one can be used at a time and they appear to be the same?

Trust me, any safe idea to get this thing on jack stands an easy way is a good idea. So far it seems the jacking bar or ramps (doesn't help when you want it up on 4 stands) are the best option. Maybe this is too, I just want to know more.

Yes, these blocks blocks go right where the far more elegant aluminum pieces shown in your photo go. The aluminum pieces and the wood blocks perform the same function and do so equally as well. The blocks cost less, though, I bet, so it all comes down to how much you want to spend.

Maybe if you lowered your price to 39.95 including shipping, you'd get rid of them right away.........:shrug::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
I can't tell if this is a joke or not? I need a new sarcas-o-meter....
I can't figure out why some people make fun of these blocks. First, they work. They are also cheap, rugged and easy to use. They make it pretty easy to get the back of the car off the ground and up on stands. Second, the tech at my local Lotus dealer uses them and that's where I got them. If they're good enough for my tech, then I don't see why they're not good enough for me and others.

So what's not to like about them? Sure, they're not as elegant as the aluminum pieces that are available. If that is important to you then by all means go buy the aluminum pieces. Otherwise these blocks are great. If you aren't using the aluminum pieces, blocks like mine, or some equivilent pieces, then your ignorance is making your life harder than it needs to be.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Frankly I can't see how you don't understand how this is incredibly funny. I just showed your post to my wife and told her you were selling these blocks and she started laughing hysterically.

Nobody is making fun of the blocks themselves. The blocks seem to be very solid and well constructed. They appear to be very nice, and I don't think anybody would personally insult them.

What is funny is that you are SELLING THEM!!! Why would somebody buy them? Thank you for clarifying that your dealer wasn't selling them. I wonder why. Perhaps because your dealer is not a lumber store.

Why did you BUY them? Have you ever been to Home Depot or Lowes? They sell wood. AND they can cut it for you. It would have been so much cheaper. Now you have revealed to your dealer that you are the type of guy that will talk somebody into selling him four pieces of wood. What do you think they will charge you next time you bring your car in for service? "Sir, your oil change will be $10,000. We used whale oil from Moby Dick."

You are not a very good salesman. You've revealed how the product is made so that I no longer need to buy it from you, I can make it myself. Perhaps you should have filed for a patent. Next time, contact me I'm a patent attorney, I can help you out.

Where did you come up with $40??? How much did you pay?

How can I be sure that if I order these blocks, I will get the genuine lotus blocks in the picture and not some home made knock-offs?

That's it! If you write Lotus Sport Blocks on the side, I bet they will sell better.

Then again, in this economy I think people are cutting back on their unnecessary wood purchases.

These blocks are entirely contrary to the entire Lotus philosophy. They appear to be slow and heavy. The aluminum ones are clearly much lighter. Somewhere in heaven, Colin Chapman is crying.

Do you offer a termite protection plan?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
PM sent.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
If these were silver to match my car I would be so all over them.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Oh wait! I just realized you are only selling 2 blocks. I thought it was 4 blocks!

The pictures you posted are confusing and make it appear that there is a total of 4 blocks! Cancel my order and refund my money! I call Shenanigans!

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I honestly didnt know if you were joking or not. If you can sell 2 pieces of 4x4 for 40$ more power to ya and yay capitalisim.

These will be tough to market, however. Anybody who is handy enough to jack up their own car likely has some sort of saw and could make these themself in less time than it took me to type this........good luck

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Actually I do think the blocks are a good idea and will probably cut some myself. I hope I am not infringing any IP. With genuine sincerierty: thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Actually I do think the blocks are a good idea and will probably cut some myself. I hope I am not infringing any IP. With genuine sincerierty: thanks for the idea.
I agree that they are a good idea, and will make some myself too.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
rotflrotflrotflrotfl

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

This is awesome entertainment!

.....then again someone else sold some plastic carpet buttons for $13 today, which blew my mind!

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Might be the fact that you are trying to sell a block of wood for $40....
I have a full woodworking shop set up here at the house.
if anyone local wants me to make some of these just let me know the dimensions and i can knock them out in about 5 minutes.
bring me one piece of wood (for about $10) at home depot and you can have 14 of these.

i wont charge for my time.

thats why people are laughing at $40 shipped for 2 pieces of wood.

open offer for anyone local.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you feel like going to the trouble of making them, more power to you. Buy the really slick aluminum parts that do the same job and look much better. Heck, had those parts been available when I bought these blocks, I would have gone with the aluminum bits. They weren't, though, and I considered it well worth the $25 I paid for the blocks so I didn't have to cut them myself. Make fun of them if you will, but if you don't feel like making the blocks yourself then mine are a reasonable buy.

It's not like I'm making a profit off these, for gosh sake. They cost what I'm trying to sell 'em for.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
dude.i cant believe these things came back up for sale.i guess the last go around did not yield a sale.:shrug:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.