CO 8" JL:

CO-8in-JL-Sub-Box.jpg

Storm Titanium 8" JL:

B98-Storm-Titanium-8in-JL.jpg

Construction:
Full fiberglass enclosure with CNC cut internal mounting ring
Poly-Fil stuffing

Paint:
Base Coat / Clear Coat Catalyzed Urethane Paint System - 3 stage available for pearl colors: Solar Yellow, Chrome Orange, Chilli Red,...

Installation requires removal and reinstall of back panel and elimination of cargo netting. Cargo net mounting holes are used to mount box using stainless steel screws (supplied) with subwoofer box. Small aluminum plates are molded into the box at the mounting points to give the screws something to thread into and will be drilled and threaded. Box will have the speaker mounted and ready to install.

8" JL design is the only current one being produced.

·
Registered
99 Posts
How much for the fiberglass enclosure with no sub? also, I currently have the JL Stealth box and it sounds pretty good and I was wondering if you have heard one before? if so are they pretty comparable? one last question, any rattles with the fiberglass enclosure?

The girl is complaining about leg room, so I may have to get something else soon.

Thanks

·
Registered
400 Posts
Wow! Just wow! I like that a lot! Of course... now... watch all whining the threads about... "how much does it weigh" or... "oh it weighs too much boo hoo". Nice work... looks great.. I may just buy one. How does the fiberglass attach to the car?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much for the fiberglass enclosure with no sub? also, I currently have the JL Stealth box and it sounds pretty good and I was wondering if you have heard one before? if so are they pretty comparable? one last question, any rattles with the fiberglass enclosure?

The girl is complaining about leg room, so I may have to get something else soon.

Thanks
Sure can. I can knock off what I pay for it which is $100 from my supplier bringing the cost to $500 plus shipping. I can not guarantee that what you pick will fit but here is a drawing of what I use to see if what you have in mind will work. I couldn't find a drawing for the JL sub (I am assuming you want to use your current driver) so you will have to measure it yourself. This is a recessed design so the sub will have to fit in the same pocket the Clarion does.

Clarion PFW 1051.jpg

As for the JL I have not heard one in person. I can tell you that what I use is a 300W RMS sub verses their 150W RMS sub. They are both sealed design and look to have approximately the same internal volume. One thing I can say is that you can feel the music out of mine in your seat if you want. I did consider using their subwoofer in my design but twice the power and the cast aluminum frame of the Clarion won me over. My third choice was for a Rockford but it was not released when I designed the enclosure. I have always been a fan of Rockford and even turned down an engineering job from them back in the mid 90s which I have never forgiven myself for.

As for rattles I have not heard the box rattle at all. It is a tight fit in the rear back panel and is held in with 4 SS screws into the internal extruded aluminum frame.

Speaking of leg room the only drawback that I feel my system has is that you loose your last notch on the driver seat in terms of adjustment. I am only 6' so I don't need it but if any of you tall folks are thinking of one you will want to know this.

Chuck

·
Banned
7,592 Posts

Thanks
Something else like an Asian chick? Or something else like a Midget?
Lol.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Hi Chuck,

Run out of gas lately? My fault really. I believe I was the one who told you that you shouldn't have any trouble making it to the gas station from the track. :shrug:

Personally, I never even turn on the radio in the car. However, Chuck's setup even made me envious. It looks awesome! And sounds even better.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow! Just wow! I like that a lot! Of course... now... watch all whining the threads about... "how much does it weigh" or... "oh it weighs too much boo hoo". Nice work... looks great.. I may just buy one. How does the fiberglass attach to the car?
I have not weighed it so I do not know. I do not own a scale. Subwoofers are not light but it is the lightest design I could come up with except for carbon fiber which I am not a huge fan of (appearance wise) and the weight difference on that size of a part is negligible compared to the weight of the subwoofer. I did consider using a carbon/Kevlar hybrid that has the Kevlar in fun colors like yellow, red, and blue but I felt it didn't go with the styling of the car.

If you are familiar with your back panel attachment you know how well encapsulated it is in the body of the car. Knowing this is I used the natural shape of the panel, the pocket, and the existing holes from the cargo netting to attach the box. It isn't going anywhere.

One last thing, if any of you are wondering, it is "Track Tested, Mother Approved." Even with the top off, the helmet on, and the other cars racing around the track you can have music that you can hear provided you drive enough power to it and your mains.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Chuck,

Run out of gas lately? My fault really. I believe I was the one who told you that you shouldn't have any trouble making it to the gas station from the track. :shrug:

Personally, I never even turn on the radio in the car. However, Chuck's setup even made me envious. It looks awesome! And sounds even better.
Hi Todd,

I still owe you and John for the ride (dasmoofler). That was embarrassing sitting on the side of the road pouring gas into the tank. The plastic gas can spout getting stuck on the filler tube flap didn't help any. I bet I looked pretty funny jerking on that thing.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts

Thanks
The JL won't fit without a spacer ring. It has a depth of 110mm vs the 76mm of the Clarion he is using. Then you have to worry about the clearance with the seats.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The JL won't fit without a spacer ring. It has a depth of 110mm vs the 76mm of the Clarion he is using. Then you have to worry about the clearance with the seats.
I think I could make one of these fit but I would have to have a speaker in hand to know for sure. I would modify the design of the sub frame and front but that is easy enough to do when creating the mold. I don't need to do a spacer ring when making a fresh box. If someone is interested in getting a box and using this or another shallow mount woofer send me a PM.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Anyone near chuck with a harness bar per chance? Would love to get one, but need to know if I can fit a harness bar at some point. (thought the 06 track exiges came with them, but mine didn't otherwise I'd measure)

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BUMP

Price update - drop to $500 for ET. I am thinking of selling these on eBay for $600 and giving ET subscribers a $100 break. New price is automatically extended to people I am working on a box for currently. Saffron Yellow will be $550 and Solar Yellow $525 due to higher material costs, all other colors $500.

Without speaker will be $100 off. Speaker recess dimension is approximately 10 7/8" dia by 0.5" deep with a maximum mount depth of 3" without spacer ring.

Track bar friendly version is being developed. PM me for details.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I'm up for one as long as I can fit a harness bar at some point.

Have you measured what the true sealed space is calculated at? Would make a difference for those of us who would be going with a different sub.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm up for one as long as I can fit a harness bar at some point.

Have you measured what the true sealed space is calculated at? Would make a difference for those of us who would be going with a different sub.
I need to pull mine out to measure and I will do that next week. As for a different sub I do not know of another 10" sub that has a more shallow mounting depth that would sound as good. I am going to try a different angle to make more clearance. If that doesn't work I plan to use 1 or 2 smaller subs. I know it can be done, I just need to work out the details.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi Chuck- I have the exige with trackpack (ie factory harness bar)- have you developed a version for this yet? and... would you ship to Australia- and how much?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Chuck- I have the exige with trackpack (ie factory harness bar)- have you developed a version for this yet? and... would you ship to Australia- and how much?
Regarding harness bars: I will be working on a version next week.

On international shipping: I can do it through Paypal.

1 - 20 of 271 Posts