The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know, I've been working on an aluminum mounting bracket for my Valentine One radar detector (you can read about the history of this project in this thread). It's been a little side project of mine, and thus took longer than it really should, but...it's finally complete! I've made some changes compared to the prototype. The key features are:

- Bolts up to Elises and Exiges(*) without requiring any modification to the car. No holes drilled, no sticky tape to apply to the car. Completely reversible.
- Provides a theft resistant (not theft proof) way of mounting the V1.
- The mounting location is optimized for forward visibility; mounting the detector low like this is not ideal for rear laser detection so if that's a priority, you might want to look elsewhere. Keep in mind that if you move the detector up high to improve rear visibility, front visibility may be reduced due to the rearview mirror there.
- Weight is approximately 4oz (excludes the weight of the detector).
The bracket is constructed of laser cut aluminum, NC formed and black anodized with a colorfast dye suitable for outdoor use (to prevent fading due to sunlight exposure).
- The bracket is held in place with a hook and loop strap (velcro), so will accommodate other detectors as well.
- The Valentine 1 may be mounted facing either rearwards (for use with the optional remote display module) or facing forwards (for those other cases).
- Moves the interior light forward a bit, possibly improving cabin illumination.

This kit includes the bracket mounting assembly only - it does not include anything needed to wire up the detector to your Elise. There is a good writeup of how to hardwire the V1 in the Elise here. Or, you can just run a cable from the V1 down to the accessory plug right below as I'm currently doing (note, the accessory plug is always on, it does not turn off with your ignition).

EDIT - new price is $65 including shipping and parts are in stock.
To purchase, please go to my website and use the 'buy now' button there.

I'll be at Concorso Italiano this Friday (in the Corral) if you'd like to see the bracket in person and/or buy one (cost at the show will be $70, no shipping obviously). I'll be around the car in the morning and at lunchtime, or you can PM me to arrange a time we can meet.

* - I have not yet test fitted this in an Exige, but based on what I've seen it *should* work. The first Exige customer will be offered a complete money back guarantee, shipping included, if it doesn't fit.

Attachments

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Do you need the remote display to be able to view what the V1 is showing? Or do you just listen for it to make noise and then hit the brakes... :confused:

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
You want to see the V1's display to see the arrows. You can see it well by looking in the mirror, or you can use a remote display.

Matt, I assume that a harness bar would interfere with the bracket?

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bane said:
Do you need the remote display to be able to view what the V1 is showing? Or do you just listen for it to make noise and then hit the brakes... :confused:
No, you can install the V1 so it is facing forwards, and watch the arrows in the rearview mirror. Exactly how well this works for you may depend on your driving position and rearview mirror; I recommend checking to see if you can see the top of your interior lamp in the rearview mirror. If so, then you'd be able to see the detector.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Randy Chase said:
Matt, I assume that a harness bar would interfere with the bracket?
Thanks, excellent point. While I have not yet test fitted this on cars with the harness bar, yes, I believe it would interfere. Besides which, if you have a harness bar installed already, there are less expensive detector mounting brackets available that are designed to mount to that bar. What I've designed is really for the people who do not have such a bar in their cars.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Ohhh I like this. I think I'm going to be in.
Is there any potential problems with the microwave sensor or alarm function since it's in that area?

Do you want any graphics you would be willing to trade for?

Would it be possible to have a "cover" made of the same finished metal just to make the box less visible as a high dollar Valentine One?

Bumpity Bump :)

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SweetDaddyD said:
Ohhh I like this. I think I'm going to be in.
Is there any potential problems with the microwave sensor or alarm function since it's in that area?
Highly doubtful; the sensor is quite some distance away.

Do you want any graphics you would be willing to trade for?
Lemme think about it...

Would it be possible to have a "cover" made of the same finished metal just to make the box less visible as a high dollar Valentine One?
It's something I considered, but I was trying to keep the price down and that would have added $10-15. :(

·
Registered
446 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sent my payment today, can't wait to see how it installs in the exige.
Thanks Matt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
How do you remove the interior light? :confused: In looking at mine ('06 Elise), it looks like either the light pulls out from a friction fit or I need to remove the whole panel it is mounted in. Before I force anything, any tips for removing the light?
Thanks!

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
edkeven said:
How do you remove the interior light? :confused: In looking at mine ('06 Elise), it looks like either the light pulls out from a friction fit or I need to remove the whole panel it is mounted in. Before I force anything, any tips for removing the light?
Thanks!
I include some brief instructions with the bracket that's on its way to you; I found the factory manual really lacking in this regard. There are four snaps, two on each side. You need to press those in, using a flat screwdriver. I've found that what works well is to be gently pulling on the light while pressing one, then the other, snap on a given side. Once that side is starting to come out, focus on the snaps on the other side. I'm attaching a picture that shows the two snaps on one side of the lamp (the other is similar).

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Matt,
Just wanted to let you know that I installed your mounting bracket in the exige today and it fit like a glove. The directions were spot on and easy to follow. The whole thing only took approx 15 min. Thanks for the great product.:clap:

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HobanJ said:
Matt,
Just wanted to let you know that I installed your mounting bracket in the exige today and it fit like a glove. The directions were spot on and easy to follow. The whole thing only took approx 15 min. Thanks for the great product.:clap:
That's great, I'm glad to hear it fit! I hope it works out well for ya.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My V1 mount went into my '06 Elise in a few minuites with no issues and a very clean fit. Thanks, Matt, for making this available! Great job on the design and execution!

Now-if anyone has a cover that would fit over the top of the V1 to deter theft...

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad to hear it! One consideration in making it too anti-theft, though, is that someone may try to steal it no matter what you do. I'd be concerned about damage occurring to the plastic rear bulkhead in that case.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Any ideas on the best place to mount the remote display? I did really like the dash placement that someone else had done, but I'm probably not up for doing that myself.

I just stuck mine in the little cubby near the driver and I realize that I can't see it when I'm driving very well. My hands/arms get in the way. I am thinking about running it over to the passenger cubby, but then I can't reach the button to silence the unit.

·
Registered
323 Posts
edkeven said:
Now-if anyone has a cover that would fit over the top of the V1 to deter theft...
Like this one?

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
RichS said:
Any ideas on the best place to mount the remote display? I did really like the dash placement that someone else had done, but I'm probably not up for doing that myself.
I made a simple l-bracket out of sheetmetal and mounted it below the HVAC controls, using the screws already there. The wire is then run up alongside the center console, threaded into the aluminum part forward of that (the thing that divides the driver/passenger footwells) to keep it out of the way of feet. This has been working well so far; it's proving to be a good spot for it though I found it's definitely better to make the bracket use both mounting holes to prevent it from rotating when you press the mute button. Lemme know if you want a picture of it to help explain that more.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Laser Warning due to stereo?

Ok, finally got around to installing this today (WOW, great product, easy install, works as advertised!)

But...
I can't use my factory stereo (MP72) because every time I turn it on the Valentine 1 goes into "Laser Detected" screaming flashing mode!

Now, I know this isn't the best radio in the world by a long shot, but I'd just as soon not shell out for a new one.

Has anyone else run into this? Did you find a solution other than replacing it or obscuring the faceplate to where you cannot see it?

1 - 20 of 84 Posts