The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SOLD - thanks Allan and good luck racing with it

I was recently told by my crew that they won't be needing to use my enclosed trailer anymore to haul my Elise to tracks because they picked up another trailer for that. I'm living in Miami now but my Lotus and this trailer live in Baltimore so I can still do track events up North.

This 1994 Wells Cargo enclosed trailer is a 16 foot by 7.5 foot box, which is plenty wide for an Elise or an Exige, but probably not for something bigger like a Corvette etc. Even with the fuel jug holders in front it fits our cars with a couple feet to spare. There are 2 tire racks in it as well. The benefit of being smaller is that for a steel trailer it is amazingly light, just 2070 pounds. With my Elise in it, plus some gas, tools and extra tires it still weighed less than 5-6000 pounds, which is no sweat for almost anything with a tow hitch. In my Cayenne I could barely tell it was back there. You can probably even tow this combo with your wife’s minivan. Loading a Lotus is a 1 man job with the included winch and flip down tongue jack. and to secure the car there is E-track for the front wheels and D rings for the rear.

Over ~4 years of ownership I had zero issues with it. Sure, the paint is faded by the sun and flaking on the fenders (so I spray that flat black with a rattlecan once a year), and the guy who owned it before me cracked the rear corner of the fiberglass end piece at the top of the back left corner (which I simply taped up with matching white tape), but it is totally functional. My plan with this trailer was always to do some amateur bodywork to it - specifically fixing that crack in end piece cap, and also to strip and repaint the fenders - but I never got around to it. It is certainly worth a lot more than we are talking here with those things done, and I don't think it would even cost much to have a professional body shop do that. If done yourself, you are talking maybe a couple hundred bucks in supplies.

The quality of the pics is a little rough, so my apologies for that, but they are actually indicative of the trailer itself. In the racing world we'd say it definitely passes the 50-50 rule, meaning it looks great at 50 mph from 50 feet away. However, because it still works great I had no desire to sell it until my crew chief said they got a 28 footer to use with their bigger Esprit and they don't need this one anymore. Did I mention cheap? Like $2500 OBO cheap.

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
some more pics

I haven't posted this outside this forum but soon I will put it up for sale to the general public. For some reason I just like the idea of an other Lotus track junkie picking it up and using it and the car as intended.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts