The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a correction factor for the fuel consumption readout that can be adjusted? Mine is reading about 2.5 mpg lower than reality. I (manually) calculated 20.1 mpg today when I filled up but the instrument cluster calculated 17.6 since the last time I filled up. I always thought my fuel economy seemed a little lower than expected when I reset it while cruising on the highway. I know BMWs have a correction factor that can be adjusted through a hidden menu on the cluster but not sure if there's anything similar on the Evora.

Since I know someone is going to make the comment, I will just state now that I didn't buy this car for the fuel economy. That being said, has anyone else noticed this? What kind of numbers are those of you with an Evora S getting (average, hwy)?

·
Scott M
293 Posts
Typically my displays ~15 with little, if any, highway driving.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I don’t think there is any user-serviceable correction. I have always assumed, but not verified, that mileage in the cluster is calculated by injector duty cycle / speed. It’s probably only accurate in closed loop operation at steady speed.

Donour

·
Premium Member
6,784 Posts
2010 read high. 2011 reads low...Maybe I need that third watch like Curly.

Reactions: Redsled

·
Registered
878 Posts
The 2005 Elise and the 2012 Evora speedometer readouts were always ≈ 8% too low. At first I wondered why everyone was passing me on the expressway. The current Evora readout is within 2-to-3 mph too low at speed - much better and almost right on at lower speeds such as 50 MPH. The radar detector has a GPS readout for speed so I always set cruise control using the detector.

Have never paid any attention to the MPG readout. Have always used a calculator. Sounds like the MPG readout is equally poor.

The MPG average so far has been ≈ 25± MPG. The previous Evora was always around 27 MPG, and the Elise closer to 30 MPG. Will compare the MPG readout on the next fill up with the calculator and report back.

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT in Formula Red, coordinated black+red interior, windowed engine hatch
385 Posts
Our 2020 Evora GT reads ~2 MPH high at 60 MPH indicated ground speed. I haven't checked to see if it scales with speed or is a fixed offset. That's about 3% off at 60 MPH, which doesn't sound bad except that our other vehicles are all so close that I can't reliably view a difference with a GPS receiver. This includes a Honda SUV, Toyota minivan, and Dodge truck.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I stated the speed incorrectly. Ours reads about 2 MPH faster than actual speed - same as yours. The variance increases with speed.

I subtracted 8% from the readout on the Elise and previous Evora to get the correct speed.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Just had a fill up after 234.3 miles and 9.4 gallons for an average of 24.9 MPG. The car said 28.2 MPG. Not very close.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just had a fill up after 234.3 miles and 9.4 gallons for an average of 24.9 MPG. The car said 28.2 MPG. Not very close.
Interesting. Roughly how much of that was highway driving?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Mostly highway. I employ cruise control. Very little stop-and-go driving. We live out in the country. I do open it up on expressway on-ramps if no cars around.

Reactions: roarf

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Is there a correction factor for the fuel consumption readout that can be adjusted? Mine is reading about 2.5 mpg lower than reality. I (manually) calculated 20.1 mpg today when I filled up but the instrument cluster calculated 17.6 since the last time I filled up. I always thought my fuel economy seemed a little lower than expected when I reset it while cruising on the highway. I know BMWs have a correction factor that can be adjusted through a hidden menu on the cluster but not sure if there's anything similar on the Evora.

Since I know someone is going to make the comment, I will just state now that I didn't buy this car for the fuel economy. That being said, has anyone else noticed this? What kind of numbers are those of you with an Evora S getting (average, hwy)?
2017 400IPS, cruising around, 20-22mpg, mixed, sporty use 17mpg maybe, sporty for hours driving with friends on back roads 10-12 mpg (friends have Lambos and Ferraris and a Porsche).

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT in Formula Red, coordinated black+red interior, windowed engine hatch
385 Posts
Chiming in... on the ~1100 mile drive bringing home our new 2020 Evora GT, I used about 50% cruise control in various gears and various speeds, with the other ~50% intentionally varying throttle and gears all in the name of engine break-in. Route included both freeway and highways that passed through little towns with varying speed limits. I reset the average MPG when I got the car (6 miles on the odometer) and never reset it for the whole trip home. End result when I pulled into our driveway: 26.3 MPG. And it will presumably get better as the drivetrain breaks in. It makes sense when you think of how little mass the engine is having to accelerate. Since I was in the early phases of engine break-in I wasn't being aggressive but still... that's pretty great mileage for a road trip in a serious sports car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts