The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed this issue with my car several times in the past year. Here is the scenario:

I'm driving (temp always above 183) at normal speeds (b/w 40-60mph), I'm not beating on the car and usually driving on the highway. Then out of no where, I feel a jolt. I press the pedal and I'm not able to accelerate? Within a second, I press the gas pedal and everything is back to normal.

Has anyone had similar issues? I have no idea what could possibly be the issue. TIA

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
If the needles on the cluster drop down to 0 and the reset, the ecu is resetting which is usually an electrical issue, which could be the ac relay recall, the connectors on the ecu not seated correctly, etc.

if they don't drop down it might need the latest ecu reflash from lotus.

if its not that then it goes on to discovery.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yes, we aren't the only ones. Do a search for throttle cutting out. The ecu reflash has worked for some but not for me. The cut out doesn't produce a code or turn on a cel so the dealer is dumbfounded. Luckily, I can read and other people have had the problem as well so I printed out some snippets from the forum, took them to the dealer and told them to order a new relay switch. I need to call and see what the deal is but I have a good feeling that will be the fix. There is a thread somewhere that has the service bulletin from Lotus regarding the problem. I would suggest having this on hand when you go to the dealer. If I had to hear "we can't fix it until we can duplicate it" one more time I was going to lose it. I found the bulletin:

SERVICE Date: 03.08.06 2006/20
BULLETIN Model: '06 Elise/Exige a.c.
Service Manager Service Reception Supervisor Parts Manager
Lotus Cars Limited, Norwich, Norfolk, NR14 8EZ. England.
CLASS 3
TITLE: Momentary engine power interruption.
REASON: It has been found that on a very small number of '06 model year cars, with an unfavourable tolerance
a.c. control module, it is possible under some circumstances that sparking across the a.c.
compressor relay contacts can cause a voltage spike which results in the engine ECU resetting.
This will be experienced as a momentary interruption of engine power, and is likely to occur only
very occasionally. It is also possible that a throttle related trouble code may be set. e.g. P0638.

Action: If this symptom should be reported, it is recommended to replace the a.c./fan control module
A117M0038F

Good luck. Let me know if they get it fixed for you. Seems like in the other threads no one came back to post after the problem was fixed. lol

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much, I will set up an appointment and try to have this fixed. I will definitely let you know what happens!

Yes, we aren't the only ones. Do a search for throttle cutting out. The ecu reflash has worked for some but not for me. The cut out doesn't produce a code or turn on a cel so the dealer is dumbfounded. Luckily, I can read and other people have had the problem as well so I printed out some snippets from the forum, took them to the dealer and told them to order a new relay switch. I need to call and see what the deal is but I have a good feeling that will be the fix. There is a thread somewhere that has the service bulletin from Lotus regarding the problem. I would suggest having this on hand when you go to the dealer. If I had to hear "we can't fix it until we can duplicate it" one more time I was going to lose it. I found the bulletin:

SERVICE Date: 03.08.06 2006/20
BULLETIN Model: '06 Elise/Exige a.c.
Service Manager Service Reception Supervisor Parts Manager
Lotus Cars Limited, Norwich, Norfolk, NR14 8EZ. England.
CLASS 3
TITLE: Momentary engine power interruption.
REASON: It has been found that on a very small number of '06 model year cars, with an unfavourable tolerance
a.c. control module, it is possible under some circumstances that sparking across the a.c.
compressor relay contacts can cause a voltage spike which results in the engine ECU resetting.
This will be experienced as a momentary interruption of engine power, and is likely to occur only
very occasionally. It is also possible that a throttle related trouble code may be set. e.g. P0638.

Action: If this symptom should be reported, it is recommended to replace the a.c./fan control module
A117M0038F

Good luck. Let me know if they get it fixed for you. Seems like in the other threads no one came back to post after the problem was fixed. lol

·
Registered
424 Posts
Mine has done that twice - most recently this morning. Was going about 50 and the motor just cut out, then was fine. Mine is a early 07 with about 250miles on it. I thought the AC relay issue was on the 06's. Let me know they they tell you. Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine has done that twice - most recently this morning. Was going about 50 and the motor just cut out, then was fine. Mine is a early 07 with about 250miles on it. I thought the AC relay issue was on the 06's. Let me know they they tell you. Thanks
Mine is a late '07 but an early '06 build date. Dealer checked with Lotus and replaced the AC relay and the multi-function unit. That was one week and 1100 miles ago; so far, no recurrence. Hopefully that's it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts