The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally decided I wanted a larger fuel filler neck to take advantage of the larger diameter fuel inlet in my Pro-Alloy tank.
( http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f157/new-fuel-tank-exige-install-122201/ )

Pro-Alloy makes a series of nice filler necks, that are advertised as:

"The Pro Alloy Motorsport Filler assembly is designed specificly with the 36 mm dia tuff jug in mind, it bolts directly into the original clam apperture without body mods, and utilises the standard filler hose assembley without modification."

Which may be true, except for a federal Elige, like mine...

Here's what it looks like:

That's not going to bolt directly in...

However, I was undeterred. All you really need is an adapter plate to replace the plastic cup that holds the current filler neck. So, I went about heat forming some kydex to create the needed part.

It didn't need to be all that fancy. Next, I needed to pop out to get some M5 x 0.8 fasteners, and a longer hose to connect the new neck to the tank. This time, no step-down adapter required.

Here is how it turned out:

Of course the original intention of these are to be flush mount with the bodywork- but since I'm not actually racing this car, I was happy to keep my stock fuel door with the new neck.

Here's hoping it makes fueling up faster- or at least less annoying...

Thanks for looking!

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
This is how the Pro Alloy filler neck looks like on a non-federal Exige... It is not flush on it either. There is a machined cup there and an O-ring seals that cup to the filler neck. It doesn't seam like your installation has that sealing feature...

side.jpg

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is that really even necessary? for the clam tilt hinge from BOE, the filler 'cup' is permanently removed anyway
Interesting! I haven't seen a clam hinge in person...
I don't think the cup is required, but it does hold the end of the neck solidly- does the clam hinge kit allow you to strap it to the roll bar stay?

This is how the Pro Alloy filler neck looks like on a non-federal Exige... It is not flush on it either. There is a machined cup there and an O-ring seals that cup to the filler neck. It doesn't seam like your installation has that sealing feature...

View attachment 329002
Nice! Then I am close to the non-federal solution. I could install an o-ring between my neck and adapter cup, but I'm not sure what it's purpose is.

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
Nice! Then I am close to the non-federal solution. I could install an o-ring between my neck and adapter cup, but I'm not sure what it's purpose is.
Yes, yours is very close! The machined cup of the non-federal Exige fits to the outside of the car. The O-ring seals the filler neck to the machined cup...that way it is impossible to get raw fuel spilled/dripped in where the engine (spark hazard) is. I'll be in Cincinnati on Tuesday afternoon...I'll see if I can get a better shot of the installation for you.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Do you need to take the clam off to remove or repair the filler hose? My standard filler hose has a round metal disc attached to a spring that gets pushed in when you put the gas nozzle in. My spring must have gotten bent when I was adding in extra gas from a 5 gallon tank that I had, so now if you unscrew the gas cap, the hole is wide open and the disc doesnt block anything.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Do you need to take the clam off to remove or repair the filler hose? My standard filler hose has a round metal disc attached to a spring that gets pushed in when you put the gas nozzle in. My spring must have gotten bent when I was adding in extra gas from a 5 gallon tank that I had, so now if you unscrew the gas cap, the hole is wide open and the disc doesnt block anything.
Nope, you can remove the filler neck and gas tube from the tank with the clam on. Of course, reaching down to remove the tank end of the hose is not easy...

Those are great pictures, <@¿@>, thanks! That aluminum ring looks pretty slick. (Might weigh more than my kydex solution, though...)

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
Those are great pictures, <@¿@>, thanks! That aluminum ring looks pretty slick. (Might weigh more than my kydex solution, though...)
Those are OEM parts...that ProAlloy neck bolts right onto the OEM adapter...I was just pointing out a safety feature. Safety never comes cheaply... weight in this case as you pointed out. In my second photo (with the cap removed) you can just see the black O-ring...and with the taper (funnel) design, no possible way to trap fuel anyplace...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Those are OEM parts...that ProAlloy neck bolts right onto the OEM adapter...I was just pointing out a safety feature. Safety never comes cheaply... weight in this case as you pointed out. In my second photo (with the cap removed) you can just see the black O-ring...and with the taper (funnel) design, no possible way to trap fuel anyplace...
what are the part numbers for conversion to the Euro fuel filler??:D

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
Finisher Ring, cap to clamshell B117L0024F qty-1
Gasket, rings to clamshell A117L0027F qty-2
Spacer Ring, filler to clamshell A117L0021F qty-1
Screw, M5 x 15, skt, cap hd., filler neck to clamshell A117L6033F qty-8
Screw, M5 x 10, skt. cap hd., S/S, ring to filler neck A117L3032F qty-2

But they won't fit...the federal hole is larger than the OD of the ring...

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,273 Posts
New Filler Neck Question

Thanks, I would like to see that!

I'll have to grab an o-ring of the right size and add it in...
Felgacarb,

With this new filler neck are you connected directly from the vent tube on the filler neck to the vent tube on the fuel tank or are you using the stock charcoal canister?

Any issues with filling up, as in do US fuel pumps shut off ok at the proper fill level? :scratchhead:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Felgacarb,

With this new filler neck are you connected directly from the vent tube on the filler neck to the vent tube on the fuel tank or are you using the stock charcoal canister?

Any issues with filling up, as in do US fuel pumps shut off ok at the proper fill level? :scratchhead:
Definitely not connected directly to from the vent tube on the filler neck to the vent tube on the fuel tank- I tried that, it seemed a simple way to go- but when you fill up gas comes back up that tube very fast and splashes you! My tank vent tube is again connected to the stock charcoal canister. (And the vent tube on the neck is blocked off now.)

Filling up works ok, but I wouldn't say great. US pumps will shut off, but not as reliably as they seem to on other cars. Then again, they didn't seem to work that well with my Lotus before I changed the filer neck, either...

The new filler neck does work well with the 5 gallon Tuff Jug, though!

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,273 Posts
Definitely not connected directly to from the vent tube on the filler neck to the vent tube on the fuel tank- I tried that, it seemed a simple way to go- but when you fill up gas comes back up that tube very fast and splashes you!
That's what I was afraid of. However if you have connected it to your charcoal canister now, how do you know gas is not backing up into it now?

·
Dog Pilot
75 Posts
is that really even necessary? for the clam tilt hinge from BOE, the filler 'cup' is permanently removed anyway
Which part are you talking about with regards to the "cup?"

I have the BOE clam hinge (Installed @ BOE) and I still have the cup, unless you're talking about a different part than I think you are.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts