The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my fuel light goes on, I can only fill up the tank with about 6gallons of gas. It still has 1-2bars left on the gauge when the light comes on. Is that normal?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Here is my not real informative answer.

Seems like this a little conservative. Your car has a 10 gal tank, so you still have 40% left, 100 miles range, or so left.

My car had 1/2 bar and the fuel light on, and it took just shore of 9 gal to fill up. and even then I filled the car up as much as I could because I was going for a 50+ Mile drive.

Your millage may vary
Doug

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I eve tried putting more fuel in there and it'll cut off. it seems like the empty sensor comes on a little too early. Any way to adjust it?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
mine will fill up to full, but won't go down more than 2 bars, no matter how much gas I have left. assuming something is stuck :eek:

·
Registered
378 Posts
Interesting post, as it happened to me yesterday; I left the car running while filling, and afterward wondered if the vapor recovery system was unhappy with me. I'd thought it was full, but the gauge never went past 3 1/2 bars, so when I got home, I looked at the receipt, and I'd only put in 4 gal. Must be a common problem, eh?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Ive noticed that when i start the car on 1-1.5 bars the light comes on but after a bit of driving the light goes away. The gas light is to warn you that you are on your reserve fuel and when the gauge hits 0 it means you will be empty.

I dont really pay attention to the light except to remind me that i will need to fill up soon. But i have gone at least 50 miles with the light on.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
A lot of the gas pumps are too sensitive and cut off the filling too early. Many in my area won't even let me pump 1 gallon of gas on an empty tank. I just estimate how much I think the tank needs, and keep regripping the pump handle after it shuts off until I get what I think I need. I have always been able to get all bars on the fuel gauge this way.

I read an article last year that stated the reason many gas stations have pumps that cut off too early is because they don't properly maintain their vapor recover systems.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Chris, probably what happened to me, I think my gauge is fine, and will pay a little more attention next fillup to getting the full amount in.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
I have noticed that if you put the nozzle in too far you will get an early cut off. But I don't think that is what the OP is asking.

My fuel light comes on when I have .5 - 1 bar left. I rarely get more than 8 gallons of fuel in on that fill up. Like Sh4rkattk I only use the light as a "hey look at the gas gauge" light.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have about 1 bar and can put in about 8 gal when the light comes on. If the car is tipped to the passenger's side I believe it will read high, and with a low tank you are in danger of running out of gas, as the pick-up is on the drivers side..... for a Fed type 111.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts