The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have reported on how the check engine light has been on and then how the fuel gauge never showed less than a full tank.
Turns out the light was on because the gauge wasn't working properly. Seems that the wiring to the gauge (they checked the sender and it's ok) is either screwed up or the gauge is faulty.
Of course this requires that they pull the instrument cluster to check it all out.
If it's a wiring thing, that could be easy. If they have to replace the cluster because the gauge is no good, that may be a different story. It seems that that part may be on back order and who know how much time that will take.
Just one week into the joys of ownership of an Elise. I hope this is not a sign of things to come considering that the car really kicks ass to drive!

BTW- The guys at Palm Beach Motor cars are really trying hard to solve this problem asap. They seem very knowlegable about the car and how to get it fixed.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Just be glad that the only problems we're going to have are wiring problems. The headlights may not work, but the engine won't give us any problems.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
NO problem on not having a guage, if they have to order the part just take the car home, do like us motorcyclists have done and reset the trip meter every time you fill up, one bar remaining usually means about 260 miles done. That way you can enjoy the car while you wait for the parts.
Chris

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only problem is-they had to pull the cluster to determine that they do indeed have to replace the gauge-cluster. Since the dash is now all apart, it doesn't make sense to put it back together and have to dismantle it again when the part comes in.

I was told that Atlanta doesn't have the part and they will have to get it from the UK. I'm just hoping this doesn't take forever.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I am glad to report that my car hasn't had any of these problems. All gauges work, AC is cold, no leaks from radiator. First year cars in any manufacturer are bound to have niggles and some times catastrophic bugs but so far I think that Lotus is doing pretty good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts