The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My fuel indicator always seems to register full. After driving atleast 50-60 miles the gauge didn't show I had used any fuel (All those little black squares were still there).
I went into the gas station and it took 5 gallons. Now 5 gallons out of 10ish is a healthy chunk. Obviously the gauge is malfuctioning.
Anyone notice this problem?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
someone else on the board (can't remember who, do a search) ran out of gas due to a malfunctioning sender.

hope this isn't the start of a common Elise problem....

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
The only time I've ever run out of fuel is in an MGB with a bad sending unit.

"How much gas is in it? I'll stop and fill it up."

"No need for that, it has more than enough for the driving around you'll be doing."

Thanks alot AFNCO rotfl

·
Registered
82 Posts
btw, running out of gas is something you don't want to do--the manual has some warnings that running the tank dry can cause damage to the fuel system.

one thing i miss from my other cars is a "miles to fillup" estimate from the trip computer. too bad lotus/stack didn't add this feature to the instrument pack (although this still wouldn't help if your sender goes bad). They just would have had to add a little more software. (hmm, hacking the instrument CPU firmware sounds like a fun project!)

oh, and off topic, someone was talking about tire pressure sensors/warning on the Elise. i believe there's an extra idiot light in the instrument bank for this. it doesn't light up, even when you first switch on the ignition.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
yagobob said:
oh, and off topic, someone was talking about tire pressure sensors/warning on the Elise. i believe there's an extra idiot light in the instrument bank for this. it doesn't light up, even when you first switch on the ignition.
That's not good. Part of the 2005 Fed TPMS requirement is that it does illuminate briefly when you turn the car on, just like they other idiot lights.

Can someone else confirm?

·
Registered
82 Posts
That's not good. Part of the 2005 Fed TPMS requirement is that it does illuminate briefly when you turn the car on, just like they other idiot lights.
huh? you wouldn't want to light/test some random idiot light if that system isn't installed! i just meant that tire monitoring must be an elise option somewhere in the world, although it appears to be turned off in our Fed cars.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Ground Loop said:

Can someone else confirm?
it's not a requirement for a couple more years.

As for the gas, my low fuel light comes on when I've used 8.2 gallons. So, until your gauge is fixed, you can count on at *least* 200 miles per tank.

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
yagobob said:
They just would have had to add a little more software.
Lotus didn't want the added weight associated with extra software.

;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
On both my S1 and S2 Elises I have fuel guage issues.. Mainly that when you get to 12 litres is says Refill. All well and good but it then doesnt tell you exactly how much you have left.. Its a bit of a guessing game!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Fieldy said:
Mainly that when you get to 12 litres is says Refill. All well and good but it then doesnt tell you exactly how much you have left.. Its a bit of a guessing game!
On S2 it should go to 'Refill' at 6L

So far it seems to be quite accurate on my car. If it's at 6L and I refill then it takes 26L. With a 32L fuel tank that's spot on..

But yes.. Once it goes to 'Refill' it doesn't show the remaining amount anymore. If they would just have done an alternating 'amount' and 'Refill' message it would have been more convenient.

On the S1 it can be notoriously in-accurate though.. It goes to refill at 12L, but there are plenty cars out there which are then almost running on fumes already.. So when it says 'refill' the owners start to look for a fuel station immediately :D

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Fieldy said:
On both my S1 and S2 Elises I have fuel guage issues.. Mainly that when you get to 12 litres is says Refill. All well and good but it then doesnt tell you exactly how much you have left.. Its a bit of a guessing game!
Okay, someone correct me if I'm wrong, because mine hasn't arrived yet and I don't have the opportunity to stare at the dash every morning.

I know the European version has a digital readout instead of a needle - it reads remaining fuel in liters. Apparently this isn't sufficient for us because we still use gallons. The US version appears to have a traditional needle guage.

Guess we are guinea pigs then?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
We have a digital readout that uses LCD bars.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts