The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent the afternoon installing my ZEX 55-65-75 shot kit today. I'll post up details about the install later on.

The fuel hose in the Lotus is something I haven't seen before. Instead of being a single, thick hose, it is actually a hard plastic tube (1/4 inch) wrapped in a thin rubber hose. On the outside, it looks like a regular 5/16 inch rubber hose.

The ZEX kit comes with a fuel tap (a "T") to put inline. However, it is made to take a regular 5/16 inch hose. I was pretty flumoxed. I went to a couple of auto parts stores, looking for a new T or perhaps a pair of 1/4 inch to 5/16 inch fuel line adapters.

So, I discovered that the plastic tube actually fits snugly into regular fuel line. I trimmed the liner and plugged the plastic tube into regular fuel host and attached that to T. It seems to fit well. I did the testing that ZEX recommends and was satisfied I had done things right. I took the car on a very short test drive, and went WOT for a few seconds (holy moly).

There was a small gas leak when I got home, at the dubious connections.

I'm a bit stumped. The parts shops didn't have any ideas. I was hoping to get a new T, but there were none. I'm also concerned that a metal T, even properly sized might rip the plastic tub. I also considered getting 1/4 to 5/16 adapters to use to adapt the hose to the T. Another choice would be to replace the hose altogether, but the Lotus part appears to use proprietary fittings.

Attached are a few photos, hopefully self-explanatory (edit - or not).

Any help or observations would be appreciated.

The first photo is the tap with regular 5/16 pieces of hose attached. One the right, there is the rubber liner and plastic tube that actually carries the fuel in our cars.

The second photo is the cut hose, with one end stripped exposing the tube.

The last photo is the final, ugly mess.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Chris,

The fuel line is indeed very brittle. After cutting and inserting the T, I heated/softened the line with a torch, then immediately slid the clamps on and tightened...never leaked a drop.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Wasn't easy but it did go. I had an NX kit, but assuming the T is the same. Try warming the line ends with a heat gun or torch before inserting. Unclip the line (orange clip) and let the fuel drain out first. :)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hmmm, maybe that's why I mentioned to drain the line first? -poke-
Sure.. But fumes still tend to go 'woof' rapidly.. And I don't mean the dog! :D

Any open flames or hot objects in the area of fuel lines/tanks/etc. make me nervous for some reason :p

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FWIW, I tinkered some more with my original scheme. With a little Teflon tape, I got it stop leaking. I'll check it every few days, but I think I am good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts