The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 Elise seems to be thinking that the gas tank is empty when in fact there seems to be .75 of a gallon left in the tank. The tank holds 10.6. The warning comes on at 1.3. For the first 18 months whenever I filled up it took an amount of fuel that made sense. In the last 6 months the car has stopped running twice, both times when I was sitting with the engine running for 5 or 10 minutes. (which I don't normally do) It acted like it ran out of gas. Both times I put half a gallon in the tank and it started right back up and I drove less than a mile to a station. Both times it took only 9.2 to fill up. This means a variance of roughly .75 to 1 gallon. It did not do this before. Whenever I filled it up it took what I was expecting it to take.

For the past 6 months when the 1.3 comes on, at around 1 bar, it drops very rapidly to nothing, usually within 10 miles. At 1.3 I would expect to be able to go another 35 miles or so. The way the fuel gauge is acting it also seems to be thinking the tank is empty when there is still around .75 in the tank.

This has nothing to do with the miles per gallon. This has held steady at 27 - 28.

Comments?

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
What year is your car?

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Its not that accurate, the cluster also averages out the fuel level and can take a short while to change. inclines also make it read off, but then it usually doesn't start if the fuels low and its parked on a sideways tilt.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Open your tank and bend your float arm a bit.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
the tanks has to come out to get the pump/sender module out and I am pretty sure you will destroy the module removing it because it fits too tightly in the tank. I'd frankly treat the situation as part of the charm of the car

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
This type of problem is common in many cars (such as my 96 Chrysler minivan and my 98 Honda Accord). It is not unique to Lotus. Generally people don't notice because they don't let their tank run that low on gas very often.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts