The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I’m looking to get rid of the charcoal canister system and some of the other fuel vapor collectors to save a couple pounds and get some engine bay room. I think I’ll need to attach a breather to the tank and probably keep the rollover switch. Anyone have pictures of there setup or a description of what they were able to get rid of?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Ok I’m looking to get rid of the charcoal canister system and some of the other fuel vapor collectors to save a couple pounds and get some engine bay room. I think I’ll need to attach a breather to the tank and probably keep the rollover switch. Anyone have pictures of there setup or a description of what they were able to get rid of?
Smog laws and MIL codes don't matter to you? I doubt that you'd ever notice the weight difference... :shrug:

By the way I like Futurama too... :D

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Off topic, but why do you post in that font?
Its actually the default I have in MS word. I’m horrible when it comes to spelling so I type it in word then cut and paste it in.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Smog laws and MIL codes don't matter to you? I doubt that you'd ever notice the weight difference... :shrug:

By the way I like Futurama too... :D
I’m glad that I am not the only Futurama lover! But your right the weight difference means very little probably more just cleaning up the engine bay so I can mount the battery inside it. As far as pollution laws I probably have quite a twisted view, I really encourage people not to recycle and pollute as much as they can (relatively speaking) that way if we see ourselves heading to a disaster faster maybe we might do something a lot more aggressive and sooner. In my opinion current laws are a joke. The hybrid credits CAFÉ requirements ect. It’s like throwing a bucket of water in the ocean and expecting to see a difference, while granted you did do something it’s basically negligible.

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
THe charcoal cansister along with most of the evap system is easy to ditch w/o tripping MIL codes and -I bet- still pass emissions since inspectors wouldn't know what they're looking for... I've posted mulitple times about this setup. I think Dave and Darksol have too... Perhaps a quick search. If you get stumped, drop me a line...

Best,

Phil

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
The canister and hose weight about 5 lbs. Easy to remove and you just need to add a resistor to the sensor and you're done.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The canister and hose weight about 5 lbs. Easy to remove and you just need to add a resistor to the sensor and you're done.
I did find some discussion, but does anyone have a pic of this?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I finally broke down and just did it yesterday although I have the clam off and interior out I don’t think all that will be necessary but here are some pics for all who are interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So in the first pic is where I was going to just hang my fuel tank vent (maybe add a zip tie for good measure, also hanging in the fill support bracket is the connector that goes to the solenoid.

The second is the support bracket for the charcoal canister itself. There are three rivets that hold that on. I decided to remove it fist two you can drill out form inside the cabin (pic two) the third I smacked off with a chisel. Other than that I disconnected all the lines going to the intake and throttle body and just capped the port on the throttle body off.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
the canister weighs 3.5 lbs exactly.
Removal is not necessary.
I experimented with and without the canister.
I noticed no performance difference.
If you are going to delete the canister, it is important to
reroute the tank purge hose away from the windows because
the smell of fuel is sickening.

Run a hose from the tank purge line down toward the diffuser so
fumes escape easily.
-Robert

1 - 12 of 12 Posts