The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
On the 2001 Esprit right tank top there are 4 through-holes. One is for the fuel
pumps etc., another is for the fuel level sensor. The other two are vents and
there is a pipe running from one to the next and a capped end on an output
connector there along with an outlet to the vent line going to the other tank.
Can anyone explain the purpose of the TWO vent holes vs. there just being one?
The reason I ask is that I am modifying a fuel tank to fit in that spot and am
wondering if I need one or two vent holes.
Thanks,
Guy

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It appears that the holes contain float valves (two different sizes) and there are sequestered compartments inside the tank that ther insert into. I asssume the purpose is to keep sloshing fuel from going up the vent line but it is still not clear why there are two or what exactly I need to duplicate.
Guy

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
From the Elise manual.

When the fuel reaches a specified level in the tank, a bouyant ball in the FLVV seals off the breather aperture
and causes a pressure rise in the filler neck to shut off the delivery discharge nozzle. Full tank capacity
has now been achieved. It is NOT recommended to attempt to fill the tank beyond this level.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Side question that Guy would know the answer: Has anyone every thought about cutting the fiberglass out of the bottom of the fuel tanks and dropping them through that way?

Guy has certainly cut up his share of Esprit fiberglass and put it all back together, so I am thinking he can answer this question as to how hard that would be.

If my gas tanks had leaks, I would rather be repairing fiberglass underneath the car where you don't see it than messing with the engine to get the tanks out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts