The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

My ‘91 had the dreaded gas fumes in the cabin issue so this morning I replaced the 30-year-old original breather line with new, and much higher quality black line. The short 8” line between the right side filler neck and what I believe is the carbon filter also needed replacement and I had some clear fuel line in the shop that was the perfect fit. No more fumes, hooray!

However, this little piece was in the middle of the short filler neck-to-filter line about midway. No clue how the factory got it in there or what it’s for. There was no way it was going in to the new fuel line. Everything seems to be working fine, and as I said the gas smell in the cabin is gone. Anyone know the purpose of this thing and whether or not it’s necessary? If it is I’m not sure how I’ll get it back in place.

6B55FCA8-F8B0-4ED0-96D1-0C2F9EB76366.jpeg

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,954 Posts
It is a restricter. (Just a small orifice for the fume venting)

Your new tubing probably had thick walls so it wouldn't fit.

Be nice to me, or I'll tell the Concours judges it is missing. LOL :p

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Be nice to me, or I'll tell the Concours judges it is missing. LOL :p
😂 LOL!

Ok so sounds like I’m probably ok without it then.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
It is a restrictor (metered orifice) to reduce flow. Meant to prevent drawing in raw fuel into the venting system. You should try to use it or something like it if possible.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a restrictor (metered orifice) to reduce flow. Meant to prevent drawing in raw fuel into the venting system. You should try to use it or something like it if possible.
David Teitelbaum
Hmmm. Sounds like using some sort of small clamp on the tube itself to “pinch it off“ a bit would probably accomplish the same thing.

·
Registered
1990 Esprit SE
42 Posts
I suspect that if the tanks were full and you were taking a hard left hand corner at speed, a good slosh of fuel could end up in the charcoal canister via the vent pipe. The restictor drastically reduces the quantity of fuel that would be able to pass while still allowing the tanks to vent during normal driving. Would be good to have it, or similar, back in place but I bet not many older cars have retained it. Maybe you could turn or file down the OD so it presses into your new pipe. Andy.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe you could turn or file down the OD so it presses into your new pipe. Andy.
Yeah that’s not a bad idea Andy. I don’t have a lathe but I could probably take it to the belt sander. Once it’s sized correctly a little coating of oil and a long screwdriver would likely do the trick.

·
Registered
262 Posts
There's no magic to adding a restrictor and you don't need to use that one. Even inserting a short piece of a smaller diameter hose inside the vent hose would probably do the trick as long as it's snug, or even a plastic cap from a caulking tube that you puncture the end and cut to fit. As long as it won't degrade in the gas fumes and fits it should do the job.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
My suggestion is to not stick it inside a hose but to use it as a splice so you don't lose it and you know where it is. Maybe even make a label so in the future whoever is working on the car knows it is there.
David Teitelbaum

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,954 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts