The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a VF2 supercharger kit 2 years ago on my '05 Elise. Since the install I get an occasional P0441 CEL which indicates a failed evap system purge flow test. I tried a few things but haven't fixed the cause of the fault but can't say I've spent a lot of time on it either.

My reason for posting is to describe a quirky issue that also began happening after the install. Immediately after adding fuel to the car it stalls/hesitates for about the first minute. I've tried adding smaller amounts of fuel with the same result. Yesterday I tried adding fuel while the car was still running and it stalled the instant fuel began flowing from the pump. The car runs great after working it through the period of hesitation/stalling.

I'm beginning to suspect a relationship between the evap purge fault code and the fueling/stalling issue but can't rationalize what it might be.

Many of you are great troubleshooters, I'd really appreciate your ideas!

Thanks in advance, Randy

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
If the charcoal canisrter and purge solenoid is still in the car, then an excessive purge could send enough gas vapors into the intake to cause the car to stall or be difficult to start. If you remove the gas cap and start the car is it easier?

You may have overfilled at some point and got raw gas in the charcoal canister and ruined the charcoal pellets... I've seen where that happened and the charcoal made it up stream towards the intake manifold.

Or you may have a bad purge solenoid and it is sending too much fuel to the intake even when it is commanded not to, so the car is stalling and the ECU is detecting the problem.

Try capping the charcoal canister connection to the intake manifold and see if the stalling goes away, and then replace the charcoal purge canister and or solenoid.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the charcoal canisrter and purge solenoid is still in the car, then an excessive purge could send enough gas vapors into the intake to cause the car to stall or be difficult to start. If you remove the gas cap and start the car is it easier?

You may have overfilled at some point and got raw gas in the charcoal canister and ruined the charcoal pellets... I've seen where that happened and the charcoal made it up stream towards the intake manifold.

Or you may have a bad purge solenoid and it is sending too much fuel to the intake even when it is commanded not to, so the car is stalling and the ECU is detecting the problem.

Try capping the charcoal canister connection to the intake manifold and see if the stalling goes away, and then replace the charcoal purge canister and or solenoid.
Thanks Travis, The entire vapor system is still in the car and I've made sure the purge valve is functioning yet the problem exists.

Capping the port at the intake next time I fuel it is a great idea! I'll give it a try this weekend.....Randy

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Normally the charcoal purge system is good for maintaining pressure in the fuel tanks which increases gas mileage by preventing the fuel from evaporating. The pressure is also better for the injection system. It also keeps your garage from smelling, and give a safe path for the vapors so they aren't likely to ignite outside the engine. So I'm not advocating removing the system, just to remove it from the equation temporarily for problem solving:)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree and did only perceive your suggestion as a troubleshooting idea.

Thanks again, Randy

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
How long is that charcoal good for? Just saying........I keep a box of baking soda in my fridge but not the same box for 10 years...............

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Good question. They don't exactly get used up, but they also don't last forever. I replaced mine after about 22 years...
My car was stalling on hot days, would only restart after removing the gas caps and relieving fuel pressure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts