The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Fidanza flywheel off of another member about 6 months or so back. I finally got around to installing it and have been working on it for a couple of hours a night all week, trying to get it ready for an upcoming track day. After buying a new torque wrench, trans jack, axle puller, etc.., I finally managed to get the transmission out and the flywheel off. I put the new one on, and quickly realize it doesn't fit. WTF? I compare it to the old one, and it's not even close. M:mad:therfckr!!!!! It felt horrible putting the old flywheel back on after all that work.

The flywheel was new, but in an open box. The box was marked with PN 130131, which according to the fidanza website is the correct one for the Elise. Looking at the picture, you can clearly see that the one I have is different. The flywheel has "T01-6589" hand engraved next to the SFI sticker, but I can't figure out that means.

Any idea what this thing is supposed to fit? A 1zz maybe? Do you think it got mispackaged at the factory, or did the guy I bought it from get it mixed up?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
WTF? I compare it to the old one, and it's not even close. M:mad:therfckr!!!!! It felt horrible putting the old flywheel back on after all that work.
That really, really, really sucks. :( I've got a Fidanza flywheel waiting to go on as well (for that last 3 years). Glad I didn't try. I'll have to go check the numbers.

At least you are familiar with the procedure now, if that helps. :shrug:

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Part number mix up maybe....that things looks waaayyyy beefy compared to the stock unit.
What makes it look "waaayyy beefy"???
The fact that it has some bolts to hold a steel friction plate on an aluminum disc, while the stock FW is cast iron?

I don't think one can compare "beefyness" of two different flywheels made out of different materials by looking at a picture.

Sorry MotoGeek about the trouble. That really sucks...

·
Registered
611 Posts
Maybe you can check with Sector 111? They seem to keep them in stock, so maybe they can get you the right part numbers or a good contact at Fidanza to see if there is anything they can do? Yea, I know, second hand and all that makes it difficult :(

That really sucks, I've been there before with parts that aren't right, but never a flywheel! I bet you invented a few more swear words in the process...

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
find out what the correct application is, and sell it on ebay advertised correctly.
then, buy the correct new one from a reputable business.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
What makes it look "waaayyy beefy"???
The fact that it has some bolts to hold a steel friction plate on an aluminum disc, while the stock FW is cast iron?

I don't think one can compare "beefyness" of two different flywheels made out of different materials by looking at a picture.
Going by the fact that the "new" one looks to be a good 2"+ bigger in diameter....hence the part number mix up idea.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hah, I'm cleaning out my garage and decided to Google these numbers one last time before I pitch this thing into the recycle bin. The only hit was this thread.

I realize it's been the better part of a decade, but I'd caution anyone considering buying something from Tripper Cook in Georgia, to do their homework.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Buy a new flywheel, and find a home for that one later to make some of your money back. It would deff be a huge waste to pull the trans and not update the flywheel. I love mine.
All conversations about the lighter flywheel being a compromise are garbage. The car still idles fine, and I taught my wife to drive stick with the lightweight flywheel. If anything it would be better if it was another 2lbs lighter

·
Registered
79 Posts
So what is the correct part # for a Fidanza flywheel? This seems like a pretty straight-forward issue. If the part # is wrong then the manufacturer should just take it back or exchange it. Period. They clearly state that this is the correct part #. Has anyone else had this issue with this specific part#? Or is this just a one-off issue where a part was marked improperly?

Fidanza's database clearly shows this part number for all cars with this engine and transmission combo.
https://shop-fidanza.com/collections/2006-lotus-exige-base/products/aluminum-flywheel-130131?variant=11937536344107

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
So what is the correct part # for a Fidanza flywheel? This seems like a pretty straight-forward issue. If the part # is wrong then the manufacturer should just take it back or exchange it. Period. They clearly state that this is the correct part #. Has anyone else had this issue with this specific part#? Or is this just a one-off issue where a part was marked improperly?

Fidanza's database clearly shows this part number for all cars with this engine and transmission combo.
https://shop-fidanza.com/collections/2006-lotus-exige-base/products/aluminum-flywheel-130131?variant=11937536344107
130131 is what I had ordered years ago from MWR, and that worked fine.
This thread is 7 years old, and I haven't seen any other comments about fitment issues with the Fidanza wheel since then, so it might have been a one-off situation

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
Main thing on the fidanza FW, which is a good par,t is to get the longer ARP bolts, as the flange is thicker....

Cheers,

Phil

1 - 12 of 12 Posts