The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
93.5 Esprit backfire video with new exhaust

Just finished up a custom exhaust last week for my esprit. All 2.5" mandrel bent piping with a 2.5" magnaflow muffler. Here's a video a friend took with his Iphone. The quality isn't great but you get a nice flame toward the end of the clip. I just slow revved it to about 4500-5000 and let off to get the "pop."

Lotus Esprit Exhaust Backfire - YouTube

BTW, how do you embed a video on this forum? I can't get the usual BB code to work?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no cat. I don't recall the model number but it is the Offset/offset 2.5" polished Stainless muffler with a 4x9" case.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are the pics as I was doing the exhaust:

Old exhaust coming down.

Stock muffler compared with the new Magnaflow

all tacked in place beofre final welding:

takend out before final welding. Note the V-Band flange I used to connect to the downpipe........trick and easy to connect/disconnect !!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
did you have a replacement cat-delete pipe or something? looks good!

so what actually causes the backfire? Is there a way to reduce it? I like a little rumble upon decelleration but i dont want to sound like a shotgun blast every time i come to a stoplight!

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shadeone,

That cracked me up! It only does that if you rev it way up at idle. On deceleration, it rumbles and cracks abit....in a nice way. you have to purposefully want to make it backfire.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I often call it a "backfire" also, but actually it is unburned fuel igniting in the exhaust system. My SE started doing this when I took my cat out, which tends to keep the car a little on the rich side. Only happens when high fast rev in neutral at idle which I don't do, or rapid deceleration under load which I do a bit. With my Magnaflow dual exhaust it is loud, but less than most Harley's.
My car sounds great with the Magnaflow, and is loud, but with the windows up I barely notice.

Randy
SE and S4

1 - 8 of 8 Posts