The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Fun Dallas Roads for the Elise

3K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  SAFE4NOW 
#1 · (Edited)
Since there are so few that have anything but 90 degree turns, let's start a list of good ones to drive.

Royal Lane between Walnut Hill and Central is fun. Also Boedeker between Park Lane and Walnut Hill. And Turtle Creek.

#2 ·
Hi, Matt,

Picking up my Liz on Saturday, November 27. I live in HP, and I know the roads you speak of. I also like the S curve on Avondale between Lakeside Dr. and Travis (where Avondale becomes Fitzhugh). For out of town excitement, however, I like the drive to Mineral Wells.

#5 · (Edited)
Basically a 635 u-turn (with some elevation and not much traffic (at times)):
- West on 635
- Exit for Coit rd
- At the bottom before the light, take the 90-degree left u-turn
- After a good run in second gear to the Southside, take the 90 degree left at the yield sign (with no traffic, there's plenty of room for a bit of drifting here.. )
- Keep left up the ramp heading back east to 635
- Optional: once back on 635, take the Greenville exit, right on Greenville.
- Option #2: take the left U-turn lane at Greenville for another go..

#7 ·
Speaking of drives... anyone up for a 4th of July Sunday Morning Drive?

Something early, 9am start time, Frisco area, couple hours of driving, quick lunch... then back home before it gets too hot?

S

#8 ·
I've done this route a few times in the Evo but never in my old Exige. http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/357928-post2.html It's a pretty fun route out in the middle of nowhere with very little if any traffic. The asphalt road surfaces are pretty rough though, so it might be a bit painful in an Elise/Exige.

#19 ·
Tried this route out a weekend ago... while there are parts that are ok at the best, the portion that takes you the farthest away are the least fun and worst condition....

Though I DID find a few roads that are better paved than they were the last time I went out that way!

S

#10 ·
You might try Eldorado east of 75 past the McKinney airport then south toward Fairview. It can be old blacktop that is a little rough going at times. In general, there isn't much around here other than hard-as-hell concrete that can have potholes big enough to swallow the Elise. I'm wondering just how long my suspension will last here as opposed to North Carolina where the car and I used to live.

#15 ·
dallas?! that`s nothing , come to Austin and get some challenge.
If you find that public roads are challenging, something is wrong. Challenging driving should be on a track, end of story.

Fun roads should not be given out for the asking. Instead, explore and discover them on your own (isn't that why you have a driver's car - ya know...to drive?), or find people that know the best routes and go drive with them.

The best roads aren't hard to find on your own. Just use google maps, both map mode and satellite mode. Build a tasty route, save the link in a text file, drive it, write down comments when you drive it. Look for other roads that look interesting, and note them for later research. Gradually expand your library of routes. Obviously, the object is to find the most twisty, elevation changing roads in the least populated areas.

Always obey the law, and drive with courtesy and respect for the road and locals. Slow down, reduce RPMs, and wave to the locals when you see them. You want them to feel special and honored that you chose their roads, not angry that your recklessness is putting their kids at risk. Angry locals make for unhappy driving and a stronger LEO presence.

#13 ·
I love to drive 1171 between Flower Mound and 377 - lots of gentle curves and actually a little bit of hills, considering we're in north Texas. I see quite a few police on the road, but (knock on wood) I haven't gotten pulled over. Even if I did, it's soooo worth it! Unfortunately not everyone wants to drive this stretch of road as fast as I do, and there are few places to pass the slow pokes.

#14 ·
Ya the truth is this is Texas....were known for a flat plains....not beautifull mountains :(

Theres a reason Americans came up with Drag Racing....cause long flat straight roads is something we gots lots of.

#16 ·
Sunday Morning Drive.....

So would any of you guys asking about routes, be interested in some follow the leader?

I am sure I can come up with some routes that you would consider fun.

We could start planning a Lotus only Sunday Morning Drive, or even a after work drive to dinner...

I have several 2+ hour routes that I use for SMD's on a monthly basis, as well as a couple short distance dinner drives that we can start in Frisco and be at dinner an hour later +/- depending on pace.

I can assure you that while we do not have the Three Sisters in DFW, we do have plenty of nice, safe, roads to travel.

LMK , I'll keep an eye on this thread...

Steve

#20 ·
So would any of you guys asking about routes, be interested in some follow the leader?

I am sure I can come up with some routes that you would consider fun.

We could start planning a Lotus only Sunday Morning Drive, or even a after work drive to dinner...

I have several 2+ hour routes that I use for SMD's on a monthly basis, as well as a couple short distance dinner drives that we can start in Frisco and be at dinner an hour later +/- depending on pace.

I can assure you that while we do not have the Three Sisters in DFW, we do have plenty of nice, safe, roads to travel.

LMK , I'll keep an eye on this thread...

Steve
:up: Always up for one of your drives, Steve!

#21 · (Edited)
2 cars make a drive... so:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f109/dfw-sunday-morning-drive-89755/

and in case it goes away again:

Who: Lotus Drivers Only
What: Sunday Morning Drive
When: TBD @ 8:45am
Where: Start in Frisco
Cost: Your own fuel and lunch
Etc: We will start off in Frisco at start point TBD for a nice morning drive ending for lunch. :shift:

Options for discussion:

Sunday August 15th
Sunday August 28th

Lunch Spots:

Lucy's on the Square - Celina
City Limit's - Sherman
Clark's BBQ - Tioga
Babe's Chicken - TBD which location
The Center - Muenster
Other --- TBD---

Thoughts?

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.