The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking to replace my sagging headliner. My interior is black and my headliner is this funky black two tone stripe pattern (I’ll get a photo car but of course is at the shop). It looks a bit odd and I didn’t know if it came from the factory that way or maybe a previous owner thought it was a good idea?

Should the headliner have a pattern or be a monochrome color?

Jim

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I too am curious where others got replacement headliner material...

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,095 Posts
I've seen the G-car's patterned headliner, so it's probably factory, but I wouldn't know where to get the material. I assume it's foam-backed cloth like the Stevens cars?

Kenny, the plain "mouse fur" headliner material IS foam-backed cloth, and it's the foam that falls apart after a number of years. I replaced mine several years ago. The '88s had more Mouse Fur than any other Esprit, you guys with later cars are LUCKY that Lotus fitted leather window and door surrounds, and sun visors.

Anyway, for the patterned look, go to a local auto/boat upholsterer and see what they can find. Also check with SJ Sportscars in the UK, Steve might have a source for original style G car material.

The plain 'fur' is a lot easier to find, back when I did mine, fabric stores like JoAnn's and Michael's carried it in tan that was close enough for the later cars where you didn't have to match everything...

+++++++++++++++++++++

ATTACHED is a pic of my finished job, the most expensive part was the windshield header and sun visors, I had to farm that out professionally. The rest I glued on myself, I can post pics of the process if anyone wants to see them.

Attachments

·
Registered
690 Posts
I had my headliner replaced last year- I found a local auto upholstery shop that deals with higher end cars. They glued a thin layer of foam to the shell (for insulation and sound dampening) and glued black cloth to it. I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Only part of mine needing done is the part inside around rear window. Am probably going to go with alcantara in black...

·
Registered
383 Posts
I did mine on another car last year and wanted to upgrade a bit while I was doing it. I ended up going with some faux suede that was foam backed. Looks really good, has held up well, and was really reasonable in cost as well. Took me a half day to do the full headliner, the toughest part is getting the old stuff off as well as possible.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Just FYI.. I found some headliner material at Joann Fabrics this last Friday. VERY close match to OEM color. Redid the piece which surrounds rear window.

It has foam, very thin, already attached to it. If anyone does this, HINT! DO NOT USE spray or any other glue on the forward facing surfaces of the plastic trim piece. Instead spray on the back (hidden) side. From the factory the top most horizontal fabric actually glues to the sunroof surround area and the black gasket then hides it. This would have been a major PITA so I instead cut a strip 2" wide and simply let the gasket go over it and then it is between the edge and the recovered piece if that makes sense... rest of my headliner is in great shape, not sure why that part decided to go blech earlier than the rest.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Here it is the roof itself is more of a light grey with this funky trim going around the edge.

Jim

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,095 Posts
The ribbed material I've seen, never looked like that! It was more subtle. Besides, I was talking about the material on the roof panel, not the header rails.

I think some of the G car owners (LaserBob), Derek, Type82, DeloMike) should post up some pics of the upper reaches of their interiors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts