The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday stop to grab a cup of coffee. When I got back in my car I turned the ignition to accessory( everything came on ), but when I turned to ignition I got nothing:sad:. pressed the Lotus button on the fob and still nothing. radio and guages all up and working fine. After a few times of try to start. I got out of my car and used the fob to lock and unlock it, but still no start. Finally I got out of the car locked and unlocked, then popped the trunk. got in hit the Lotus button on the fob and the car fired right up?:huh:
Is this a fob issue? Random Electrical issue? Gremlins? TADTS

·
Registered
80 Posts
English engineering. I love my evora but I swear if one more valet driver gets locked in my car I'm going to snap. My locks and ignition are totally random and screwy. Every time I take it in for service it works fine. Good luck.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
218 Posts
Just to make sure, you're pressing the unlock button and not the Lotus (lock) button, right? The immobilizer times out after 45 seconds, the red circle comes on the dash, and you have to press the unlock (center of the 3 buttons on the fob) to disengage the immobilizer.

I was so excited to pick up the car a few months ago that I totally ignored the sales rep's warning about it, and found myself unable to start the car after driving off, and ended up calling the sales rep who re-explained it to me to get it through my dense skull...

·
Registered
689 Posts
Yep I've been scared a few times also. Sometimes I have a problem with opening the boot (trunk) also. When I press the lower button I have to have the fob really close to the rear of the car. Maybe I need a new fresh battery in the fob? Sometimes I reach over while in the car and push the pass door locking knob down and then get out and lock the drivers side door with a key. This of course will not set the alarm as active but like at a car show or whatever it's really easy to just unlock the drivers side door with the key. I will admit that the alarm and fob etc. are intimidating to me. I don't want it to fail and I really don't want to have to use my secret PIN to reset the alarm as the alarm is blasting out ..... when the fob refuses to work properly. :UK:

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Every time I read about crap I've already experienced I feel just a little bit more exonerated from bitching all of this forum about how I had this or that issue about my car.

Chirowolf, it's a Lotus thing. Yeah piss poor engineering, piss poor manufacturing. It's only the beginning. Just move on and be glad your Lotus is working again. Or you can do what I did-- waste a lot of time fussing about these things.

I used to care and have high expectations of my purchase. I've resigned myself as a casualty, vowing never to buy a Lotus again.

Whatever it was a splurge, bought on a whim. Silly me for expecting this car to be reliable. And for thinking my 90K would come with top-notch, reliable service and support .

Now, every day I get in my car, and it starts up, I'm happy! LOL I'm also happy that I can get at least a few good bursts of speed before it decides to take a break and kick in a rev limiter. But I'm most especially happy whenever I am able to get to my destination without the car conking out from heat exhaustion.

See? It's all a matter of perspective :)

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Some (not all) lotus cars are like the hot chick with a bad spending habit, you will keep her, until you go broke. Some people seem to go 50k miles with nothing but routine maintenance, others seem to pay by the mile.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Yours sure sounds like a case of radio interference. If it happens again, try getting the fob as close to the receiver (under the dash, on the passenger side) as possible. It will also help to close the door when doing so-- if there's another signal that's overwhelming the very low-power one coming from the fob, then anything you can do to attenuate that other signal is useful.

Putting the key in the ignition does nothing to help with button-activated functions (lock/unlock/mobilize/trunk open), because there is no electrical connection between the fob and the key post.

The other thing you can do, of course, is to have your bypass code handy at all times. Common sense, really. (Not blaming you here-- you have only just got your Lotus and are still on cloud nine; rational considerations will return at a later date!) Also you might consider disconnecting the alarm siren, which makes the prospect of doing the manual bypass a little less emotionally fraught.

Chiro's problem could be the same, or it might be related to his earlier dashboard electrical troubles from a couple of weeks ago. We warned you not to drive it around like that, didn't we? :D

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Maybe we should start a collection to buy squid a horse.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Squid does your vehicle fall under the lemon Law? Seems w so many issues you would be able to get out easily.
And heck, let the guy post his thoughts. Hethel, Obviously you use the freedom to mouth off, so should he. It's not a waste of my time, you don't like his posts, don't waste your time to read them.
After all this is what makes a forum colorful.
Cheer up. Both of you. Life is too short.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
211 Posts
let the guy post his thoughts
+1
Squids posts have been a help in the past!!!!
Most of us would be hypocrites, can you honestly say you don't read the posts to find out more about your car be it good or bad?

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I never considered the lemon law. But also, I don't think the lemon law applies to my car, as I understand it. Lemon law only applies when your dealership fails to fix issues after 3 attempts, or if your car has been under repair for longer than the time you've owned it in the first 30 days.. or something to that effect.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Oh btw, since we've got a bit off OT, here's a summary of ALL of the things that I have experienced with my car. (most of these are tracked in the repair history at my dealership, as well as in my garage here on LT).

-cracked exterior trims (both pillars, rear trunk vent panel, replaced)
-HVAC leak (fixed)
-transmission issues (lurching, floppy pedal, throwout bearing, etc, entire clutch system replaced).
-worn paint issues (fixed--repainted rear light trim under warranty)
-water ingress issues (replaced weather seals, still leaks but not as nearly bad)
-moldy cabin air filter (due to water ingress, pending)
-detached shifter boot (repaired twice)
-handbrake lever sticking (replaced)
-issues with head unit blackbird connector (glitchy screen, pending)
-issues with DVD playback (fixed, update disc)
-issues with nav unit (pending)
-door latch issues (fixed, new door cables)
-battery issues (replaced, new one is beginning to weaken, even overnight)
-excessive wear seat leather (tadts?)
-front clam issues (fixed, adjusted)
-side blower issues (been told it's working but it doesn't behave correctly, pending)
-airbag light coming on (failed seat belt retractor, replaced)
-loose side mirror (replaced but housing still needs repair from paint scratch)
-crooked spoiler (self-adjusted, easy fix)
-ventilation hose peeling (waiting on part for 4 months now, pending)
-front emblem oxidized (replaced)
-dashboard leather issues (shrinking, tearing, bubbling, replaced after a 6 month wait)
-engine misfires (CEL, tadts, pending)
-fogged up headlights (pending)
-backup camera wires exposed (possibly caused by dealership, should be easy to self-fix)
-loose carpet issues (self-fix)
-dash "panels" lifting (tadts, even after dash replacement, looks like missing bolt under access panel)
-handbrake cover coming off (pending)
-door handle/pull trim coming off (fixed)
-headlight alignment (not the light but the actual unit sinking, fixed with clam adjustment)
-engine overheating issues (tadts)
-limp mode issues (tadts, happened twice,actually)
-engine stalling out during deceleration (happened 3 times now in the last few months, pending)
-traction control light issues (happened 3 times now, pending)
-keyfob issue (happened once, tadts)
-weak AC issues (pending)
-weak rear lid dampener shock (trunk lid on my head once--not fun, pending)
-loose steering wheel (pending)
-sticking trunk release cable (pending)

Keep in mind most of the repairs have been successful so I still have faith in getting most if not all of the pending issues addressed under warranty.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Squid what is your build date? if your not sure, look at the inside of the driver door ingress body frame.
Mar 2010 I think.

It appears most of these issues are limited to just my car as no one else reports even 3/4 of the problems I've seen. Or maybe other owners plan to sell their cars one day and don't want to say anything bad about their cars? That could be a factor don't you think? Or maybe most of the Evora owners keep their cars as garage queens with only a few thousand miles on them? I dunno. But I don't really care, I just tell it like it is and hope I can help others watch out for some of these issues.

I may eventually sell my car one day, and I think the next owner will appreciate all that I've done to sort all the crap out that Lotus sold me.

·
Registered
127 Posts
True, my new evora I'm getting tommrow has a build date of feb 2010
Very close to your build date. I did a warranty check and not much on the one I'm getting as far as service issues. Fingers crossed!!

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
True, my new evora I'm getting tommrow has a build date of feb 2010
Very close to your build date. I did a warranty check and not much on the one I'm getting as far as service issues. Fingers crossed!!
Welp, you have been duly warned :rolleyes:

How many miles are on that Evora, if you don't mind me asking?

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
I have almost all of the issue you note squid. I do not have the overheating issues, traction control, misfire type issues. My car is January 2010 and the last 4 digits of the vin are 1086. Not sure if its the 86th car or not. It is what it is and I love the car. It is being looked at week after next for a possible 2nd clutch replacement. Following the first one it had a shudder from its first gear change. Thought I would let it break in but after 2,000 miles it getting worse. I asked the mechanic if they cut the flywheel and he said lotus says not. I would never put in a clutch without a fresh surface. Will see.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts