The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been in contact with Pete at PNM Engineering, and I've just sent-off my Chargecooler to him for repair. Anticipated cost is between $350 and $400 for a fully refurbished/tested unit vs. paying more for a used unit that, likely, will have the same issue at some point...

Hi Bob,
This is not an uncommon problem, it’s due to corrosion caused when there is insufficient water in the cooler and the water / air interaction corrodes the insides.
This is mainly when cars are left standing for long periods when the levels are not topped up.
We can replace the charge cooler element if you send us your old unit.
Thanks,
Pete
PNM

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I have had nothing but good experiences with the guys at PNM - so a good choice Bob. If it can't be done well here, if JAE can't solve it, then my go-to is PNM.

Tom

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll report back when it returns, Tom. I, too, have great experiences with Pete and PNM. Well-engineered parts that fit as advertised.

Bob

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's been some 6 weeks since the Esprit has been parked. PNM awaits a supply of chargecooler cores per our discussion 2 weeks ago.

Via thelotusforums.com, I was connected to a New Zealand owner who had an S4s chargecooler that he was willing to part with, and no telling how long PNM might be held-up, I indicated that I'd buy his. He was kind enough to have the unit pressure tested and wouldn't you know it?...it was a leaker, too. So, I'm back to waiting but am considering an aftermarket unit (preferably Alunox) as it seems that the leakage issue is more prevalent than we thought.

My advice is to keep a close watch on your chargecooler coolant reservoir as the leakage is into the intake plenum and you might not see it other than the coolant level going down.

Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts