The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody here seen the Saleen-1 prototype in person? I saw it at Virginia International Raceway (VIR) on Saturday (see pictures below). I think it looks similar to the Emira, has more horsepower (450), weighs 2,700 pounds, comes with a manual transmission, mid-engine, and it's made in the USA. The Saleem guys have lots of race track experience working with Ford Mustangs in particular. I know nothing about what kind of dealer network they will have, real-world performance, handling, reliability, build-quality, or "soul". Here's what the Saleem website has to say about the Saleen which a Saleem sales guy told me should be available for sale in 2023 with an estimated sticker price of $125,000 (we'll see):

Saleen 1 - Saleen
Seeing the need for a true “Driver’s Car” Saleen launches the Saleen 1. This mid-engined, two seat, independent suspension vehicle is the next generation of a true sports car.
An all aluminum light weight chassis, combined with a carbon fiber body, results in a vehicle weighing less than 2700 lbs. The Saleen designed, turbocharged inline, 4-cylinder, with unique split block engine configuration, produces 450HP. The combined horsepower and lightweight chassis yields supercar performance in a compact sports car package.

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood
Vehicle Sky Motor vehicle Hood Wheel
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Tire

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
1,270 Posts
Very cool looking car. I would consider picking it up at that price point.

In house designed 4 cy turbo is interesting, seems like more and more auto manufactures are going towards the 4 bangers. Surprising from Saleen since their last model was a 7.0L V8 Pushing 750 HP and a tad under 3k pounds.

I see inspiration from Ferrari, Alfa and Porsche in there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think we'll see people walk on Mars before the Saleen 1 become anything more than a prototype. This car has been in gestation for close to 5 years. As someone who has had my Mustang for 16 years, I followed Saleen (and Roush, Steeda) since the S197 retro body came out (I ordered mine in August 2005 and got delivered Jan 30, 2006. I also followed closely as I sold Fords for 23 years). Once a great company, Steve Saleen got a little overambitious and eventually he was removed from his own company. It's been through different backers since. Lots of their parts for older Mustangs (bumpers, trim, wheels, etc) can't be purchased as they don't have anything anymore. Not even the molds. I feel bad for anyone with a Parnelli Jones Mustang (for example) and needs a bumper for one, for some reason. Not gonna happen. Any of their cars.

The Saleen 1, or S1 what it was called back in 2017 was something really cool looking and was something I was really looking forward to. The design was attributed to the old Artega GT (Google it). While they look eerily similar in design, it's a fresh look and supposed the design is the only similarity. Here are a few links on the car from Dec 2017

These show how long the car has been "in the works". They even had an advertisement campaign using Jason Statham (see the pic below)
Wheel Tire Car Cloud Hood

I want to like this, I really do. I liked it when they unveiled it years ago (along with their S5S Raptor sports car, look it up, it was awesome looking but got no where), but Saleen as a company is someone I just don't trust IN THE SLIGHTEST! I'd much rather have a Evora GT or an Emira, or the updated model Emira in a few years (an S, or GT or GT4, or whatever it will be). At least, your getting a car that is backed by a company that's been around as long as Lotus has, and had the knowledge and the capability to make something great and special. I just don't see that with Saleen. Sadly, not anymore. At one time they were really good, but that time has passed.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've heard that they never were able to pass the crash protection regulation....

Given that they have Saleen GT4 in GT4 America series (not doing well though) I guess that at least have something on life support.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
1,270 Posts
I've heard that they never were able to pass the crash protection regulation....

Given that they have Saleen GT4 in GT4 America series (not doing well though) I guess that at least have something on life support.
They could take a hint from Koenigsegg, and this is the testing for their 2 million dollar vehicle. They designed a test vehicle to go through numerous tests so they dont have to crank out their yearly production (16) just to send them off to the crash testers.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,478 Posts
We did some engineering work on a specific component for Saleen on the S1 before COVID. The project seems stalled but who knows? Creating a complete car takes truckloads of money and the Chinese owners seem to be willing?

·
Registered
4,985 Posts

·
Administrator
12,023 Posts
Hmm interested to know more about the motor. I wonder if its based on a production block? perhaps the Focus RS turbo 4?
2.5 L Saleen/GM Ecotec turbocharged I4, 336 kW (457 PS; 451 hp)

The S1 is powered by a proprietary 2.5 litre turbocharged inline-four engine developed in-house by Saleen,[3][4] rated at 450 hp (336 kW) and 350 lb⋅ft (475 N⋅m) of torque.[4] The engine is mid-rear mounted and drives the rear wheels.

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
How many S7's did they produce/ That should give you an idea of their potential....HINT: NOT many

·
Administrator
12,023 Posts
I believe the China location was more heavily focus on a new electric lineup. Its not far fetched for them to make the American models here that the Americans like, and the Chinese models there.
In a Wall Street Journal column, Steve Saleen claimed that JSAT “applied for 510 Chinese patents for my designs, technologies, trade secrets and engineering developments. Most of the patent filings didn’t even list me as the inventor.“ According to Saleen, there were plans to use the new Chinese patents to steal the long-running brand’s intellectual property and force him out of the joint venture.

Corruption is rampant in China despite massive government crackdowns. From tofu dregs to this it leaves one wondering how some the large numbers of wealthy Chinese made their fortunes.

·
Administrator
12,023 Posts
Google tofu dregs and you see new and old buildings collapsing due to poor materials, design and construction. Check out this rebar

1 - 20 of 40 Posts