The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people...

Well I am a high school kid right now... I have worked my butt off to save enough money to buy an Exige. I plan on buying one beginning my freshman year in college. I am going to hopefully make a street car with 400-500hp... Any info about engine building etc. would be appreciated... I will soon be moving from Ohio to California (can't wait). I look forward to meeting you guys on these forums and maybe at a car meet :panic:

Omer

·
shay2nak
25,171 Posts
is it going to be your only car? If so, don't buy it.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
questions: you want a 500whp dd exige? and your going to be parking this at a college parking lot?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Hello people...

Well I am a high school kid right now... I have worked my butt off to save enough money to buy an Exige. I plan on buying one beginning my freshman year in college. I am going to hopefully make a street car with 400-500hp... Any info about engine building etc. would be appreciated... I will soon be moving from Ohio to California (can't wait). I look forward to meeting you guys on these forums and maybe at a car meet :panic:

Omer
College is not the place to have a nice car. Trust us who have been there. Also, college is not a good time to worry about big car payments.

Go to school, get the degree, then get the car. And do some studying up around here about these cars, 400-500hp on an Elise/Exige is difficult to do, expensive, and completely un-necessary.

Technically, 500 hp in any street driven car is pointless...

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Didn't ****** say he was afraid his classmates were going to join this forum? Is this what has happened?

xtn

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Technically, 500 hp in any street driven car is pointless...
well....;)

OP: 500hp in a Exige is very expensive to do, learn how to drive. Also, i dont think when your at college you want to worry about a expensively modified car.

Get a 350z, s2k, m3, mustang..etc. You can break 500hp mark if you want and it wont cost you 10k in body work if someone bumps into your car.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I can see both sides of this.

I was stubborn as sh*t and bought a new s2000 when i was in college even though everyone told me not to. Had to work my ass off to pay for it, and that sucked with studies etc. Plus, i had to park it outside: no good. plus, young = stupid: stupid= tickets and/or wrecks: wrecks = skyrocketing insurance premiums:.... and the domino affect rolls on.

Having a tiny 2 seater as your only car is rough... hopefully your driving a paid off beater now that youll be able to keep around for a daily driver.

BUT

if you saved enough to buy it out right, then screw it, go for it. Most of us went into college broke anyway, so youd be in the same boat as everyone else.... youd just be driving an Exige. Rent an apartment or go in on a house with a bunch of dudes that has a garage at least. You dont want drunk ass college kids around your car in a dorm or apartment parking lot.

Trust me, everyone on this forum knows WHY you want the Exige, but with age does come reason, and you would be better suited saving that money, youll probably need it for far more important things in the next 4-6 yrs, and youll be glad you have the cash when those things come up, or invest is, use the money in 5 yrs to buy something even more bad ass... i.e. a 2014 Exige S 500!! (given they keep uping the power as they have...)

But whatever you decide, its your life, so who cares what we all think anyway. All we can do is give you our 2 cents. Good luck!

·
Registered
88 Posts
if you could get 500hp out of the gsr,xrs motor..id think you could be working FOR toyota. I dont own a lotus but its a safe bet you dont have much time behind the wheel yet,as is the case with any exotic,may i suggest a car that bites back and will make you a better driver,and its cheap..? Id suggest a 93 mr2 to learn with : )

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
if you could get 500hp out of the gsr,xrs motor..id think you could be working FOR toyota. I dont own a lotus but its a safe bet you dont have much time behind the wheel yet,as is the case with any exotic,may i suggest a car that bites back and will make you a better driver,and its cheap..? Id suggest a 93 mr2 to learn with : )
93 mr2 turbos are a great suggestion.

Also, you can mod the hell outa them....forget 500whp...i'm talking about 800+whp :D

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Colin Chapman was a business man, not a car enthusiast.
His biography suggests he preferred his employees to work out the business stuff, as long as it could afford him his desire to mess with and race cars.

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
Taking advice from those that are/have been in your situation would have been a better idea.

I also suggest staying in HS another year. Maybe then you will learn to spell like you passed fifth grade.

I think you're a fool.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.