The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase a lotus in the next month. does anyone have any feedback on using a vision function supercharger on their elise, reliability, power. would it be as fast as an exige s? If it is worth while doing should i get installed at dealer(gentry lane) or does any one know a good installer in ontario canada?

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
First of all. is it as fast. If you produce equal HP and Torque, for a given car, you will be just as fast. Some VF kits produce more HP/Torque than a Stock Exige, it is all math then. Reliability, as HP and Torque go up, transmission and clutch reliability goes down. Most people will tell you the magic number for reliability is *around* 270 crank HP. Go much higher and you will likely need to upgrade your clutch (depending on driving style and luck). Somewhere around that range is where 3rd/4th gears and synchros may become unhappy (depending on driving style and luck).
Supercharger choices: MP62 and TVS1320. Both have a service interval of 50k miles. Some have failed as low as 8k miles, others go way beyond the service interval and still work. Intercooled versus non-intercooled. Cool air going into your engine is kinder to it than hot air going into your engine. There is a lower risk of pre-ignition/detonation/pinging with lower Air Intake Temperatures (IAT), depending on your tune. Somewhere around 265 HP (crank) is what you will see with headers, decat, cat-back exhaust and a free flowing intake with a MP62 supercharger (with the right tune). You can see much more with a TVS1320 and intercooling, but will likely need the aformentioned clutch/transmission upgrade. All that I said are considered general rules of thumb, but not absolute law. I know of a couple BOE (intercooled TVS) big kits running stock clutches and transmissions with no problems, but they are the exception.
Good luck with your choices. Half the fun of these cars is customizing them and making them a reflection of your personal tastes and taboos.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Building on addertooth's reply, "fast" is more a function of optimal tuning and intercooling than the SC itself. With the right options you could be "faster" than a stock Exige S. Of course all that comes at a financial price and questions of reliability pop up at the top end of forced induction limits.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts