The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts
451 Posts
@FyndFyre , Hmmm...horse trading with a gentleman... Sounds good for me! So you really don't know what you've got! For the very well informed of us around here, Nitron would special, special build titanium "fittings" on their uprights. The gray color suggests to me that that could be titanium?!?!?! You really scored a big horse trade if they are titanium...and the major reason for the weight discrepancy that Sector is quoting. Nitron may have also improved their design from the time Sector got theirs (one of the firsts sets) and this latest creation from Nitron.

Now...Pilbeam supplies their wishbones with ball joints...and you've got ball joints with adapters on the Nitron uprights in your photo. Did you weigh the ball joints twice? And with adapters for the OEM wishbones? Neither the adapter nor the ball joints on the uprights will be needed for your setup...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I do know what I've got. Titanium pins/studs/bolts all around. I know that one of these failed on a track. I know that this is one of the last 5 sets manufactured. I know that I got other options like EPs. I know that they lower the car a little without upsetting the geometry too much.
I like nitron's design also with their build quality, hence a long hunting process and a trade. You are welcomed to educate me on these. I love to learn more :D.
I know I got a great deal on these, but the gentleman already scanned them with CAD, so I know he is also getting a good deal. He provided me with most information including the invoice. He got an incredible built going on for his Lotus.

Pilbeam supplied me with sphericals that will mate to the nitron pins. I just need to pick which one to install. Adapters in the picture will not be necessary, but their weigh is almost negligible so I didn't mention it. I weighed everything that came with both sets to give the correct information out.
I attached a picture of everything that is weighted for the wishbones to clear up confusion(Floor looks a bit dirty, but I will swear up and down that those things won't come off :D)
Now, what do I do with my existing nitron toe link and sphericals? lol.

Attachments

451 Posts
I do know what I've got. Titanium pins/studs/bolts all around. I know that one of these failed on a track. I know that this is one of the last 5 sets manufactured. I know that I got other options like EPs. I know that they lower the car a little without upsetting the geometry too much.
I like nitron's design also with their build quality, hence a long hunting process and a trade. You are welcomed to educate me on these. I love to learn more :D.
I know I got a great deal on these, but the gentleman already scanned them with CAD, so I know he is also getting a good deal. He provided me with most information including the invoice. He got an incredible built going on for his Lotus.

Pilbeam supplied me with sphericals that will mate to the nitron pins. I just need to pick which one to install. Adapters in the picture will not be necessary, but their weigh is almost negligible so I didn't mention it. I weighed everything that came with both sets to give the correct information out.
I attached a picture of everything that is weighted for the wishbones to clear up confusion(Floor looks a bit dirty, but I will swear up and down that those things won't come off :D)
Now, what do I do with my existing nitron toe link and sphericals? lol.
Knowing and believing what someone told you are not usually one and the same thing... Knowing the cause of failure is the key. Hitting it with a sledgehammer will cause it to fail also... Not tightening the studs will also. Nitron used to not torque the assemblies together before shipping the original sets...this particular customer slapped it on his car and the upright came apart... And that on the internet is called a failure. I call that operator error.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have been told that they didn't even torque the nuts before the install. I will be checking every studs before install and torque them to 250 ftlbs with blue locktite.
I will also be marking the position of the studs with marker/paint and check them a few hundreds miles, then a few thousand miles to make sure they do not back out.
And even with that, if it still fails, I guess I will bite the bullet and call a loss of investment.
I read over 20 pages of design argument back and forth, then contacting nitron back on forth on the details and sale, then made a decision of the trade. I may not know well enough like experts here. Any more details would be appreciated.
@lotus90 Nitron no longer make them. You should be contacting Nitron regarding this. The last time I contacted them, they said no. If you could manage to make a group buy of 5, there might be a difference answer.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
At cota for the parade lap. Car wasn't ready for the sessions, so I just did the parade lap.

The car in front of me in parade lap is @kfennell , who chased 488 Speciale with success. The Speciale couldn't pull away from him except for the straight in front of the grid area. Superb driving indeed!

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I use Navdy, it is solely for the GPS. But I occasionally* email/bug them to add more features. So, I got RPM gauge, MPG gauge, compass gauge and non track specific features. Hopefully they will add more features.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Just installed the complete 2bular system. Pictures should be up this weekend. The rest, is slated for March or April. The work schedule is killing me :D.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Ceramic coated the SDCP and the header. I couldn't decide if I want to coat the exhaust or not, so I installed the exhaust as it is.
The temperatures are running cooler during the run, but noticeably hotter in stop go traffic due to less shielding I believe. I will have to research ways to resolve that issue later.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Unfortunately, I haven't installed any as I am in a transitioning period and got my wedding coming up in December! If you guys are around South East Asia this December, be sure to come.

Fortunately, fiancee is very receptive about my enthusiasm with the car, so I expect to jump back into the hobby right after all things wedding, immigration and what not, got taken care of.
But as of this moment, I'm buried under mountains of paperwork and to do list. :D

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I have made the decision to sell the car as I am moving to the Bay Area. The real estate in Bay Area is so high that my exige has become the casualty. I'm taking all the parts off the car and install the stock parts back. I'm keeping all the parts because I am buying one back after I've settled down in a year or so.

Parts are not for sale, just in case if you try to pm me about them. Only the car in its stock form is for sale.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Car is no longer for sale. The more people try to trash talk my car to achieve a lower price point, the less I am willing to sell. I'll just bite the bullet and take a hit on mortgage instead.

And I haven't get to the magic wand part yet. :D

Installed the f1 radiator and RLS intercooler+ side intake+ three chambered shroud. Pics to follow next week but I doubt there's much to see since they are already inside. Hopefully I will get to the suspension parts by September.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Interesting I noticed the shear panel on rereading the post, and there are 2 large and 3 small bolt holes that are not on my 07 Exige

Would not have thought that at all structural

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
If you guys are mentioning about how I moved the shear panel from the undertray to the frame, I didn't. I drove a s240 without a shear panel and unless I go on track, I doubt I would notice a substantial difference in handling characteristics. There is always aftermarket option for the shear panel should you desire one. I have my priority up in other areas first, so it can wait.

A bit of odd ball situation I got right now, after switching the rear wing uprights to @HKFEVER adjustable carbon uprights today, I noticed severe vibrations at 75mph and above. I stopped the car, inspected all the nuts and screws, nothing budges. I will surely switch back to stock to see if it's the uprights problem or the installation deficiency itself.

Radiator, I was surprised that the stock radiator I have isn't a plastic radiator but aluminum stock radiator from Lotus itself. I guess I will just put it on sale one day. One thing I notice with F1 radiator is it recovers significantly faster to 188F every time it goes above that point at the stop and go traffic. This is the first day driving the car after installing the new radiator, so my butt dino might be kicking in with placebo effects sky high. I will report back later with more stop and go traffic experience.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts