The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Stuck in traffic for a good 40 minutes today. Outside temperature 102f. The last time I was stuck in 102f traffic with lotus sport aluminum radiator, I saw coolant temps soar all the way to 215f. Today the temp never go above 195 and always go back down to 194f then 195 f back.
This is by no mean scientific test but definitely noticeable comparison between LS aluminum radiator and f1 radiator from BWR. Shout out to [email protected] for amazing product!

·
purveyor of lightness
4,085 Posts
Is it "Suspension September" yet?

I freaking wish ANYONE from Pilbeam would answer my emails.

After four attempts since May I have had only one response but nothing since...

I just want to order the same T45 heat treated/zinc coated wishbones - but with empty holes for bushings and ball joints since it's a 99% street car.

I DO want the trick toe-link rose-joint hardware though.

451 Posts
Is it "Suspension September" yet?

I freaking wish ANYONE from Pilbeam would answer my emails.

After four attempts since May I have had only one response but nothing since...

I just want to order the same T45 heat treated/zinc coated wishbones - but with empty holes for bushings and ball joints since it's a 99% street car.

I DO want the trick toe-link rose-joint hardware though.
I think it is "high" season for racing right now in the UK...I bet he is up to his eyeballs supporting his racing customers and probably away at the tracks. He was on the original Lotus Formula 1 team, as an engineer of some sort, working directly with Colin Chapman. Not only has he worked for Team Lotus, but for the Lotus factory also when the team folded. He is you best bet for anything Lotus...first line from the source. Give it time...he is worth it! You won't find anything close to his caliber on this side of the pond.

Sig

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I will be driving from Fort Hood, TX to San Francisco, CA in coming a few weeks.

Currently I plan to drive through Aspen and Yosemite Passes if weather permits.

Any recommendations on the routes I have to take, to take advantage of this drive?

I would like to wrap this trip up preferably under 4 days, 5 days max if the routes deemed worth it. TIA

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
Got myself lost in Aspen and Sierras for 2 years. Ended up picking this up by luck. This should finally replace my aging Chimera RBS next week in the Exige.
Looks awesome. Who sells it in the US? Their prices are in Euro.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Looks awesome. Who sells it in the US? Their prices are in Euro.
No one in the US yet. They said they are still working on US dealers and US specs. Apparently no one wants to ship it across the pond citing the nightmare of shipping Lithium parts. PM me if you are as desperate/ocd as I was. Otherwise, I’d go with Braille Lithium CF housing ones that you can get for more capacity/double/quad for almost the same price as I paid for this one.

Spec-sheet listed below. Still more capacity and almost the same or less weight as Chimera. Very happy with the build quality so far. I might have to ask trackspec to fab some holder housing as I am not sure I am feeling 100% safe with the mounting bracket at the bottom holding the battery securely all the time.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
Long story short/shortened on my hiatus. I ended up renting for a year in Bay Area after moving here since it takes time to find the house I want and I can afford. Found a townhouse within my budget within 8 months. Bought it and moved in with the new stable mate, missus’ M3. Ended up driving the M3 more until missus got her license. Now she got her license and kicked me out of her car, I’m back to the neglected/garaged Exige again. 😄

Pictures for attention. I got rid of the obnoxious front plate in M3 after we got the permanent plates. I still got parts sitting in my moving boxes since 2.5 years ago. Missus was nice enough to let me keep my Exige after marriage, but not that nice to go all out like I used to before. So, I’m looking forward to installing parts here and there over next year. Second picture is after I put the ceramic coating on. Excuse the quality of pictures as they were taken by a phone 1/2 years ago.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
While I was on the honeymoon, I stumbled upon this Lotue fan cafe in Seoul, South Korea. The owner must be very enthusiastic about the Lotus since he got the 340r, Lotus Bike and probably a 311 now. A very cool place to visit. A very clingy golden retriever guards the cafe and my wife almost stole him back to the states.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Back in 2017, Darksol asked me about suspension September. Things are looking more like suspension September is coming in 2020, 3 years later. Full time job, fill time school and full time husband got me tied up enough.

Meanwhile, Christmas comes a few weeks early this year as I have to replace brakes sooner than later. EP 7075 calipers with titanium pistons and Seriously Lotus’s 7075 bells and Alcon rotors got here before holidays! I thought long and hard about going ceramics with the Fresno’s for weight savings, but 280 front and 280 rear had me chicken out in the end. I talked to a CCM manufacturer in Italy and they said they would be willing to make bespoke kit for lotus if they have 5 orders, each costing more than 15k USD. In the end, I just folded and bit the bullet for next 50k miles with Alcon discs route instead. Gotta draw the line somewhere for now as single budget committee member would want my head.

Hoping to do complete suspension replacement in the summer of 2020. Hopefully, I’ll be able to find time and approval of budget committee up there. 😅 Managed to take the car out to do one garage to another ran under 2 seconds. Not sure what I should do with my front APs when the time come.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Car is stuck in the shop while on lift due to lockdown. I have crawled almost 4 years to get to the finish line on this build, 4 more weeks isn’t going to dampen the mood. Torque 300 is finally coming together and all things below the chassis will finally get swapped out with their better counterparts.

Meanwhile, here is a picture as a sign of great things to come amid all this bad news, picture credit Russ at MGR. I would also like to give a shoutout to BOE, Trackspec, RLS, MGR and BWR for helping me finally finalize my build. Special shoutout to Fred at BWR for giving me outstanding customer service and support even though I wasn’t buying his Penskes (This was an extremely hard decision). Needless to say, I will be continuing to do business with all these great vendors. They all put up with my a million and one questions, and steered me in the right direction even though I’m not exactly following their recipe.

Shameless plug here for parts I am selling now. Gotta recoup some costs from these ILXs or wife is going to collect my head. Please check the link below to see if my old parts might be of your interest.

Thanks,

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Are you going to mount them inverted like they are on my Cup-R?

Later,
Eldon
Hello Eldonz,

I believe they will be mounted inverted only in the front. Dave from Seriously Lotus was able to mount it in a normal orientation in the rear, albeit with tight fitment close to the subframe, so I am hoping to replicate that for now. They are still building it according to US specs for fitment. It will be interesting/head scratcher at the time of install, but I guess we will learn as we go. One thing I have learned from going the non standard route is, it’s not always going to go the way I planned it to go 😅. I contemplated about mechatronics but Russ told me that I could always add it later, since not all service centers can service the mechatronic shocks. What intervals are you rebuilding them so far?

Thanks,

Shein

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
Shein,

You should check the gas pressure once a year. As far as rebuilding, that is really going to depend on how much and hard you track the car. If you track the car around 8-12 times a year, I would rebuild them no longer than every two years but would recommend once a year. If you are just going to drive on the street, every 3 - 5 years.

Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Fedex today informed me that they have lost my handbrake calipers, brake pads, other misc parts and steering rack, only after a week of back and forth. A reprieve comes in a form of temporary remedy before ILXs could arrive next month. Behold, the TTX/ILX 36 combo. Hopefully EliseParts will help me figure out the situation with Fedex. The installation plans are now in disarray (not that they were in order before).

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Shein,

You should check the gas pressure once a year. As far as rebuilding, that is really going to depend on how much and hard you track the car. If you track the car around 8-12 times a year, I would rebuild them no longer than every two years but would recommend once a year. If you are just going to drive on the street, every 3 - 5 years.

Later,
Eldon
Hello Eldon,

I talked to Russ again after how other S2 Exige owners mounting the dampers inverted only in the front. He recommended inverted all corners like Evoras/S3 Exiges. Hopefully, I’ll be able to fit it in the rear inverted. 😅 I might have to send the TTX for service soon as they have been used 5-6 weekends on Lotus Cup. Another good news today is, FedEx somehow found the lost items a week after they magically disappeared. Timeline is now back on track, and I’m sure I’ll run into a lot of gremlins (at least Jon at TrackSpec will) with a bunch of non standard parts. Since the built is somewhat complete, now I can spend my money on proper track time. Hopefully my wife won’t kill me over it, but I got a plan to get her to performance driving school, so she will see things a bit, my way.

Shein

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
Hello Eldon,

I talked to Russ again after how other S2 Exige owners mounting the dampers inverted only in the front. He recommended inverted all corners like Evoras/S3 Exiges. Hopefully, I’ll be able to fit it in the rear inverted. 😅 I might have to send the TTX for service soon as they have been used 5-6 weekends on Lotus Cup. Another good news today is, FedEx somehow found the lost items a week after they magically disappeared. Timeline is now back on track, and I’m sure I’ll run into a lot of gremlins (at least Jon at TrackSpec will) with a bunch of non standard parts. Since the built is somewhat complete, now I can spend my money on proper track time. Hopefully my wife won’t kill me over it, but I got a plan to get her to performance driving school, so she will see things a bit, my way.

Shein
Shein,

Where are you located? RE Suspension, located in Mooresville, NC, does really good work on shock setups. I have told them that they can give my setup to others if they ask. I went through several tunes until I found something that works really well.

A really good performance driving school is the Porsche Driving school that runs at Barber Motorsports. I put my wife through the first two classed and she really enjoyed it. They focus on the person having fun, not just trying to get you to go faster. It is well worth the money.

Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Shein,

Where are you located? RE Suspension, located in Mooresville, NC, does really good work on shock setups. I have told them that they can give my setup to others if they ask. I went through several tunes until I found something that works really well.

A really good performance driving school is the Porsche Driving school that runs at Barber Motorsports. I put my wife through the first two classed and she really enjoyed it. They focus on the person having fun, not just trying to get you to go faster. It is well worth the money.

Later,
Eldon
Hello Eldon,

I’m thinking of servicing with SB Suspension in Tennessee right now. Ken is a long time Ohlins guy and he also runs ILXs on his Evora. Recommended to him by MGR, so I will try my experience with him and will let you know. I’m in CA and PSI is next door, but I want to have different options rather than one preset route. I think I want to go the route you took, as in the experience of going through what works and what doesn’t. Otherwise, I could just ask PSI for revalve to Lotus Cup speand be done with it. Sounds a little uneventful, so I want to go through the hassle first.

I truly appreciate the help you are giving as these are a little unorthodox scenario dampers. Probably in about three months, I’ll run back to you with my hands above my head asking for your setup. 😅 Wife is planning to go to the driving school in Sonoma with her m3 later this year. Otherwise, all she does in my Exige is complain about how harsh the ride is. Hopefully, she will soon learn to appreciate the handling magic.

Shein

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
A short story about my no longer functioning HUD.

Back in 2017, I bought the Navdy HUD. It worked great with the thumb controller on steering wheel. Navigation, speedo, remote calling, music, you name it, it can do it. Like all good things, it met it’s end after the firm behind it went belly up, stopping all support for Navdy. It stopped functioning and I have removed it from my car. I still have to find a HUD that works as great as this one. Pictures below.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts