1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Exige 260 Sport
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"From Road & Track today....

Acura NSX - 170 Sold
Despite winning our Performance Car of the Year award at the end of 2016, the NSX hasn't had much luck in terms of sales numbers. Acura moved just 170 units in all of 2018—down over 70 percent versus 2017, which sold 581 units."

I think someone at Honda will be cutting off a pinky for this.
I think it's also a good time to buy one, there are about 180 unsold 2018 out there. I test drove one last Sunday, this car is stupid fast and very competent with no drama. I hit 100 MPH with a jab of the throttle and was surprised at the resultant triple-digit speed. This is a supercar for dummies, and a poor man's 918.

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
^ Been watching reviews and it seems like they all like the car especially Matt from The Smoking Tire. This reminds me of Lotus in that you would possibly have good reliability down the road with it being a Honda power-train. I wasn't too keen on the styling from the start, but it has grown on me. Looks a lot like the concept Esprit a few years back.

·
Registered
2009 Exige 260 Sport
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^ I wasn't too keen on the styling from the start, but it has grown on me. Looks a lot like the concept Esprit a few years back.
I second your feeling on the styling, the front end seems Transformerish, maybe that's why these tend to look best in black, the side and rear view are better. The peek of the intercoolers in the rear side intake and the mini flying buttress is very cool.

Our cars look timeless due to its simple lines, not too different from a sports racer of the 60s or 70s, time will tell how the NSX will age.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 Exige 260 Sport
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These are the words that stuck out in your description for me. This NSX is epitome of why modern cars are no longer engaging.
You're right, the NSX is not engaging or tactile like a Lotus. But with a 0-60 MPH in 3 seconds, and 1/4 mile in 10 seconds, easily pulling over 1G in corners, this may be too much for an average human brain to interpret. Especially myself, going into my 7th decade, it may be wiser for me to drive a fly by wire microprocessor controlled car that can shift in milliseconds, maintain the optimal attitude and yaw by torque vectoring each front wheel for optimal grip with DC motors instead of applying individual braking.

Since I live on Oahu and have to drive on some very doggy roads, it rains daily during the winter, some steep passes like Pali highway becomes a small river during a downpour. I also have to drive a twisty two-lane coastal road, often with the waves breaking over the tarmac at high tide. These above reasons are why I'm contemplating a car like the NSX - so I can drive in these iffy conditions with confidence and alacrity.

Attachments

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
Poor sales has plagued so many cool sportscars over the years. I remember seeing brand new e30 M3s languishing on Dealer lots a year or two after they were discontinued! Most manufacturers kill sportscars as the math never quite pencils out...

·
Registered
440 Posts
from Autotrader:
New 2018 Acura NSX: $177,500 [ MSRP: $179,300 ]

yeahhhh.... No.

Reactions: HondaCRX and Harix

·
Less is Better
2,678 Posts
Poor sales has plagued so many cool sportscars over the years. I remember seeing brand new e30 M3s languishing on Dealer lots a year or two after they were discontinued! Most manufacturers kill sportscars as the math never quite pencils out...
And then there was the Fiero that sold something like 130,000 units the first year. They cancelled it for low sales at something like 45,000 units.

·
Less is Better
2,678 Posts
These are the words that stuck out in your description for me. This NSX is epitome of why modern cars are no longer engaging.
You're right, the NSX is not engaging or tactile like a Lotus. But with a 0-60 MPH in 3 seconds, and 1/4 mile in 10 seconds, easily pulling over 1G in corners, this may be too much for an average human brain to interpret. Especially myself, going into my 7th decade, it may be wiser for me to drive a fly by wire microprocessor controlled car that can shift in milliseconds, maintain the optimal attitude and yaw by torque vectoring each front wheel for optimal grip with DC motors instead of applying individual braking.

Since I live on Oahu and have to drive on some very doggy roads, it rains daily during the winter, some steep passes like Pali highway becomes a small river during a downpour. I also have to drive a twisty two-lane coastal road, often with the waves breaking over the tarmac at high tide. These above reasons are why I'm contemplating a car like the NSX - so I can drive in these iffy conditions with confidence and alacrity.
I'm sorry but unless you're off roading you will never convince anyone that AWD is necessary in Hawaii of all places :). If you're not enjoying driving the car then what's the point? I'd rather crawl along in a fun convertible like a Miata in Hawaii than be transported at a high rate by an appliance for speed.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
from Autotrader:
New 2018 Acura NSX: $177,500 [ MSRP: $179,300 ]

yeahhhh.... No.

Ditto.. Why would I spend McLaren money on something with an Acura badge. Not that I'm concerned about brand as much, but most that I know with 100k+ cars are.

Reactions: Liftnot2

·
Registered
437 Posts
NSXs were leasing for about $1200/m with $0 down last year. Acura was throwing $30k lease rebate ontop of $20-25k dealer discounts

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
Recent AutoWeek says they basically knew it was too bland, and it has been substantially sharpened to be more "super car like" for the 2019 MY. For this kind of money, they should have done that from the start.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
I've been up close to this car, and in it, but not driven one. Absolutely adore the thing. If they hit $80K I'll have one, but I won't be holding my breath.

·
Registered
2009 Exige 260 Sport
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've been up close to this car, and in it, but not driven one. Absolutely adore the thing. If they hit $80K I'll have one, but I won't be holding my breath.
Wait a couple of years, that's about the residue value from Honda at the end of a 3-year lease.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Look a little deeper, my fellow Lotus lover.

https://www.carfax.com/Used-Acura-NSX_w10
YEahhhhhh. No. MSRP of the '17 NSX was in the 'hood of $156 k. The 18's (and 19's) climbed quite a bit..which may explain t he falloff in sales. No matter to me---even at 150k new, or as you found in the 120's used, No Dice. A nice '17 Evora 400 used can be had for low-mid 70's....which still seems a touch steep, but that's just me. But 120's for a 2 year old. Not for me.

I saw the gen 1 NSX sitting next to the 2018 today at the CHI auto show. I dont recall the intro price of the gen 1 (60's? maybe). Even though the styling is somewhat dated, I prefer the overlook/package to the new one. (of cours,e if the new ones were 85-90k....yeah, I might be looking....)

m1

·
Registered
2009 Exige 260 Sport
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm with you brah, I test drove this new 2017 in December, the asking price was down to $73K; it took more than two marshmallow worth of self-discipline not to buy it on the spot.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 45 Posts