The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put down 3K at galpin with assurance from the Sales Director that they will see their first Elise in late September and with an allocation of 9 (yes NINE) cars a month...

If things are as the SD states I should have my car no later than Nov/Dec.

Am I too gullible or could this be true ???

BTW... the 7K rumor is BS.

Patrick Avakian
No Bucks #718

·
Registered
758 Posts
So I should ignore what it says in the letter I got ?

The first paragraph :

Galpin Motors, Inc. (hereinafter "The Dealership") have received the sum of $3000.00 (Three Thousand and 00/100 US Dollars) (hereinafter "The Deposite") from Ben xxx (hereinafter "The Customer") to serve as a purchase deposite for The Dealership's Lotus Elise Allocation #17 (hereinafter "The Vehicle"). At such time as Lotus requires specification from The Customer in order to build The Vehicle, The Dealership will require an additional $7,000.00 (Seven Thousand and 00/100 US Dollars) to fully secure The Vehicle for The Customer (hereinafter "The Down Payment"). The Deposite is fully refundable at any time between the date of this contract and the time The Down Payment is required of The Customer.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Thaks what my contract says, except for the Ben and the #17.
Maybe they changed policy, or patavakian didn't read his paperwork.

Steve

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Funny my letter says "an additional $3000 to fully secure the vehicle..."

I guess that's my point ???

How trustworthy is it ?

PA

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Despite the trashing that Symbolic has received, my car has been ordered, built and is on the way without any addition to my $2000 initial deposit.

Nine cars per month sounds pretty optimistic and unless some cars already are on their way to Galpin, no way they will see a car before the end of September.

I'm curious to know if Symbolic actually sold their franchise to Galpin for various considerations.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
patavakian said:
I put down 3K at galpin with assurance from the Sales Director that they will see their first Elise in late September and with an allocation of 9 (yes NINE) cars a month...

If things are as the SD states I should have my car no later than Nov/Dec.

Am I too gullible or could this be true ???

BTW... the 7K rumor is BS.

Patrick Avakian
No Bucks #718
what number are you at Galpin?

Thanks,
Ara

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
jml1952 said:
I'm curious to know if Symbolic actually sold their franchise to Galpin for various considerations.
It's really none of my business, but I was curious about this too. There had to be some kind of meeting of the minds between Lotus, Galpin, and Symbolic.

You might notice Symbolic is getting a whole lot of cars -- by some estimates twice the normal allocation, perhaps enough to cover their SD & BH lists?

Meanwhile, they do seem to have conceded greater LA to Galpin, who also thinks they're getting cars and is building a new Lotus showroom. Hmm...

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I've heard that AutoEurope wants another $3k when you place your final order. That's fine with me. I plan on giving them a lot more than that eventually... My big concern is that it becomes non-refundable before I know what my final cost will be.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thats funny, I never got a contract of any kind. All I have is a reciept for $3000 saying that I am number 15. Were you guys given that contract when you left your deposit or was it mailed to you?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Galpin Order?

Hey patavakian :

When did you place your deposit with Galpin to have them assure delivery by November/December? I'm guessing that you're somewhere in the 30's on "the list"?
I'm just so curious to compare my timeframe of being told I'm #29 at Newport European and having placed my deposit last October.
Thanks.
- dechien

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am number 15 at Newport, spoke to them yesterday and they told me I should see my car in October. Provided they receive the 3- 5 cars a month. I say 3 because I think a few people ordered the sports package ahead of me.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
READ THIS

In the state of California there is no such thing as a non refundable deposit. End of story! They can call it what they want but any monies recieved by a car dealer before delivery of a said vehicle is fully refundable at any time on demand.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Re: READ THIS

perryeyges said:
In the state of California there is no such thing as a non refundable deposit. End of story!
Technically correct...so far.

They can call it what they want but any monies recieved by a car dealer before delivery of a said vehicle is fully refundable at any time on demand.
Not technically correct. At least at Newport European and Desert European, when you order the car, your deposit becomes and "option to buy". At that point you are purchasing an option to buy and no longer have a "deposit" on the car. If you choose not to exercise your option, that's your choice, but you've purchased the option and that's sunk cash. A little legal wrangling to get around the refundable deposit law.

·
Registered
91 Posts
seems to me that a deposit that high is absolutely criminal. i won't be taking my business there.

barry

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Galpin Order?

dechien said:
Hey patavakian :

When did you place your deposit with Galpin to have them assure delivery by November/December? I'm guessing that you're somewhere in the 30's on "the list"?
I'm just so curious to compare my timeframe of being told I'm #29 at Newport European and having placed my deposit last October.
Thanks.
- dechien
I'm 24th on the list.

Contract is dated August 17th.

·
Registered
818 Posts
and i thought my 5000 at dimmitt was high.

500 to get on the list and the 4500 when ordering.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Maybe they reduced the amount down.

How trust worthy is it ? It's written down on paper, and signed. I'd say pretty trust worthy.

I'll be assuming that I need to pay $7K on order.

Either I pay $10K on order, and $35K on receipt, or $6K on order and $39K on receipt. Doesn't make the slightest difference to me.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Chris B wrote:

Not technically correct. At least at Newport European and Desert European, when you order the car, your deposit becomes and "option to buy". At that point you are purchasing an option to buy and no longer have a "deposit" on the car. If you choose not to exercise your option, that's your choice, but you've purchased the option and that's sunk cash. A little legal wrangling to get around the refundable deposit law.
You're absolutely correct, Chris. I noticed this when I picked-up my order form from NE. (I am in Ukraine right now, but I wasn't sure if NE would be placing orders for the next wave of cars or not, so I stopped to get an order form.) After seeing the "Option to Buy" verbiage, I decided to NOT submit the paperwork and chance that NE won't place a deposit until after I get back in town. I don't like the verbiage... it makes me uncomfortable because it now entitles NE to your $1,500 without having to perform any work other than sign a contract on your "option to buy." BTW, that $1,500 isn't refundable if you can't get financing for the car either. As ChrisB stated, it's an "option" and even if you do excersize the option but fail to produce financing, you've already excersized the option and therefore no money is due as a refund to you.

Bob

Bob

1 - 20 of 36 Posts