The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving home on PCH today when I noticed a Yellow Elise in "dealer" showroom. Odd I thought, what the heck is that doing there.

Knowing the guys at the "dealership" very well, I stopped by to ask them the deal.

It looks like Galpin might be in trouble. The car on the showroom was a display only Elise sent by Lotus of America (funny Galpin doesn't have one) and a salesman admitted then are negotiating a deal with Lotus.

They have no list and can't take any $$$ yet but it raises serious doubt in my mind regarding Galpin. I'll be putting in a call to Joe later today to get the bottom line, and relay it to the board.

Till then, let's keep our fingers crossed. I am sorry for not giving out the name of the dealership as I was asked to refrain.

Patrick Avakian

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
They do have a list and have taken deposits. The key issue is that their contract with LCU is still not yet final.

The fact that the car is in their showroom shows good intent from both sides. :clap:

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Me too. Unless I'm completely missing it, patavakian is saying that he saw an Elise at an unnamed dealership (in the LA area) other than Galpin, and that unnamed dealership is negotiating with Lotus.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Ground Loop said:
Patavakian said there was a Yellow Elise in "dealer" showroom.

You mean not Galpin's?

A paragon of lucid text this is not.
I think he put "dealer" in quotation marks to underscore the idea that it is a mystery dealership that he is not at liberty to disclose the name of. I too read it to mean "not Galpin."

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Not at liberty? What is there, some kind of nondisclosure agreement to see a car in a showroom on PCH?

It almost sounds like he saw it from the road, while driving. How on earth can the "dealership" name be privileged information?

It wasn't enough that delivery information has to be totally cryptic, now which dealerships are legit and which ones have cars in the showroom -- that's also a national security secret.

This feels like some twisted alternate universe, where we maximize sales and satisfaction through secrecy and misinformation. THX2004

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
yeah, thats weird for a "dealership" to ask that their name not be disclosed for having a car on their showroom floor.
weird.
this whole lotus thing is typical british/english confusion, mismanagement, and overall poor business practices.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Let the bashing begin. It takes so little to get it started...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
According to the guys over at Roadfly (dickedup), the car was a trade-in, not from Lotus USA. The dealership is South Bay BMW in Hermosa Beach.

Not sure why they would put an Elise in the window and then expect people to keep it a secret? :confused: For what purpose?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ground Loop said:
Patavakian said there was a Yellow Elise in "dealer" showroom.

You mean not Galpin's?

A paragon of lucid text this is not.
Sorry for the secrecy and confussion. I was if fact refering to a dealer other than Galpin, and I was asked not to mention the dealerships name and decided to honor that request without question.

The purpose of this post was to invoke other Galpin prospectors to chime in with their thoughts.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
If this were true, I'd think that Joe would be appreciative of a phone call. Joe has always been honest with me and even encouraged me to pursue ordering my car with Newport European since he couldn't confirm whether Galpin's deal was going to go-through or not.

The last time I spoke with Joe (about 2 weeks ago), he had heard that Galpin's owner sent video and photographs to Lotus in order to help pursuade John English to complete the dealership agreement with them. Lotus was still undecided if they wanted Galpin as a dealership due to the placement of the Lotus brand. (i.e. not with the other high-line marques on Roscoe Blvd.)

Bob

·
Registered
670 Posts
I don't think there is anything Joe will have to offer. This is not in Galpins hands.Either Volvo or Jag have refused to allow Lotus into the Prestige Showroom at Roscoe. Seems the contracts signed allow Volvo and Jag that right. Galpin is offering
"something else" to Lotus to include building them their own showroom down the road. John English seems to not care about "down the road" plans and doesn't like the current offer.

I was putting a great deal of faith as well as $3000 in the Galpin deal. It seems quite clear unless Patavakian is a liar
that the Galpin deal is doomed. There is no logic at all in Lotus giving a LA Show car or test mule to some unnamed dealer to display if they had the slightest intent in moving forward with Galpin. They never got serious enough about Galpin to give them a car to display.

Understand, I am not calling Patavakian a liar.

Regards

Steve

·
Registered
249 Posts
Sownman said:
There is no logic at all in Lotus giving a LA Show car or test mule to some unnamed dealer to display if they had the slightest intent in moving forward with Galpin.
I find it equally unlikely that Lotus would provide a car to this 'dealership' before any finalized contract with them.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Sownman said:
There is no logic at all in Lotus giving a LA Show car or test mule to some unnamed dealer to display if they had the slightest intent in moving forward with Galpin. They never got serious enough about Galpin to give them a car to display.

Regards

Steve
from what DU said at roadfly, the car was a trade-in, not an LA Show car.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Sownman said:
I don't think there is anything Joe will have to offer. This is not in Galpins hands.Either Volvo or Jag have refused to allow Lotus into the Prestige Showroom at Roscoe. Seems the contracts signed allow Volvo and Jag that right. Galpin is offering
"something else" to Lotus to include building them their own showroom down the road. John English seems to not care about "down the road" plans and doesn't like the current offer.

I was putting a great deal of faith as well as $3000 in the Galpin deal. It seems quite clear unless Patavakian is a liar
that the Galpin deal is doomed. There is no logic at all in Lotus giving a LA Show car or test mule to some unnamed dealer to display if they had the slightest intent in moving forward with Galpin. They never got serious enough about Galpin to give them a car to display.

Regards

Steve
From the sounds of it, the other dealer has no intent on becoming a Lotus dealer, and wasn't given any cars by Lotus.

Both Galpin and Lotus want the deal to go through.

Symbolic has no bearing on the situation. Nor does Jag or Volvo.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The other dealer is very much interested in becoming a Lotus dealer.

The yellow car at the "other dealer" was in fact bought by the dealer, it is not a car given to them by Lotus (I had bad info).

As far as Galpin goes, I left Joe a message and hope to hear from him later today.

I will say this... Lotus is very interested in the "other dealership" and less than thrilled about Galpin... and the reasons have nothing to do with placement of the Lotus brand among the premiere collection, Jag, Volvo, or Austin Martin.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts