Registered
3,449 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
This is just my wild guess here but maybe they're waiting until the Evora's arrive. I'm sure they know the market for Elise/Exige isn't really hot right now (looking at Newport European's inventory) and probably not a good ROI at this point. And, perhaps Lotus doesn't really want to add more dealers at this point. I think all that will change as the Evora gets close to U.S. release.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
This is just my wild guess here but maybe they're waiting until the Evora's arrive. I'm sure they know the market for Elise/Exige isn't really hot right now (looking at Newport European's inventory) and probably not a good ROI at this point. And, perhaps Lotus doesn't really want to add more dealers at this point. I think all that will change as the Evora gets close to U.S. release.
:popcorn::popcorn:

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Hmmm. Is there some juicy gossip that I'm missing? I mean, the last 2 years have been a like a soap opera with the LA Lotus dealerships. I mean:

1) Galpin was about to be a dealer a few years ago and it never materialized.

2) Lotus Management at that time gives a franchise to Beverly Hills and in turn loose South Bay Lotus.

3) Abe, a South Bay Lotus saleman end ups working for Lotus USA.

4) Mean while, the Beverly Hills Lotus owners goes to jail.

I mean, if there's something else, I don't think I'd even blink.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Hmmm. Is there some juicy gossip that I'm missing? I mean, the last 2 years have been a like a soap opera with the LA Lotus dealerships. I mean:

1) Galpin was about to be a dealer a few years ago and it never materialized.

2) Lotus Management at that time gives a franchise to Beverly Hills and in turn loose South Bay Lotus.

3) Abe, a South Bay Lotus saleman end ups working for Lotus USA.

You don't know the half of it. Someday I'll write a book and retire.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts

I don't think he went to jail... yet. He did a plea deal and is awaiting sentencing.

One of the allegations mentioned in the complaint was that he defrauded VW/Audi in order to pay debts related to the Beverly Hills Lotus dealership.

What a mess.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Greetings from Galpin

Hello folks! First post here (I'm a regular at the Aston Martin Owner's Club forum, where I'm David Brown's Ghost). I realize my screen name is a bit pretentious, but I'll do my best to live up to it (if not immediately, then sooner than later).

I'm the Sales Director at Galpin Motors - and we're now officially a Lotus dealer. We will have signage and DMV permit by the end of the week (fingers crossed); at which point we'll be legally in business. We have a few cars here, including an Exige 260. I'm hoping we might actually acquire a 211, but we'll have to see how that goes.

I've been selling Astons for about eight years now; while I'm pretty familiar with Lotus' history, I've little direct experience with their cars until now. I drove an Elise back in 2005, and an Espirit back in the early 1990s (both times for less than an hour - nonetheless long enough to appreciate the driving experience purity they represent). I was quite disappointed when we missed becoming a dealer back in 2004...

I Very much love the cars and the engineering they represent, as well as the company's history. I'm very excited about the Evora (while I love the Elise & Exige they're a pretty tight fit for me)...

I've been a car guy my entire life and am quite enthused to represent this storied brand! For the moment, I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello.

- Joe

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Hello folks! First post here (I'm a regular at the Aston Martin Owner's Club forum, where I'm David Brown's Ghost). I realize my screen name is a bit pretentious, but I'll do my best to live up to it (if not immediately, then sooner than later).

I'm the Sales Director at Galpin Motors - and we're now officially a Lotus dealer. We will have signage and DMV permit by the end of the week (fingers crossed); at which point we'll be legally in business. We have a few cars here, including an Exige 260. I'm hoping we might actually acquire a 211, but we'll have to see how that goes.

I've been selling Astons for about eight years now; while I'm pretty familiar with Lotus' history, I've little direct experience with their cars until now. I drove an Elise back in 2005, and an Espirit back in the early 1990s (both times for less than an hour - nonetheless long enough to appreciate the driving experience purity they represent). I was quite disappointed when we missed becoming a dealer back in 2004...

I Very much love the cars and the engineering they represent, as well as the company's history. I'm very excited about the Evora (while I love the Elise & Exige they're a pretty tight fit for me)...

I've been a car guy my entire life and am quite enthused to represent this storied brand! For the moment, I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello.

- Joe
Thanks for the intro, Joe.

Any word on when you will be able to service Lotus cars, warranty work, etc?

It's good to have a dealership back in L.A. (Or at least, in the Valley!) -poke-

·
Registered
4 Posts
While we were going through our first sales training today, the Lotus service rep was down in our service department getting them up to speed. We've received many Lotus parts over the past few days (to have that "stock" stuff any dealer needs). Our service techs actually went through Lotus training back in 2005 when we were so close to getting the franchise, so it was mostly a refresher for them. Our service manager said we're getting things "locked down" at this point and could start scheduling service early next week. I'm not sure what's appropriate here, but if you'll PM me I'll provide the service department details...

Meanwhile - the car(!):

Played around a bit with our 260 earlier today and it totally knocked my socks off. I wish I fit in the seat better. It's not merely that I'm overly padded (I am), it's that my hip bones literally wedge into the side bolsters. Perhaps a seat change for std. Elise seats is a possibility (if the thought of adding their weight isn't too blasphemous).

I mean - even the door hinge is an elegant, minimalist engineering masterpiece.

But man - what a total pavement-dancing partner. Capable of producing first-order, face-splitting grins. The first time I went to "scrub off a little speed" I nearly parked the car. My feet are a tight fit, but I'm hoping proper driving shoes will help with that; regardless the heel/toe-ability was pretty well perfect. Steering is positively telepathic. Such a pure thing. Can't wait to get to spend a weekend in it to get used to it and really start to play. Old Topanga awaits!

(I shudder to think what a 211'll be like.)

Please forgive my enthusiastic gush.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Any update on when service department will be open? Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Any update on when service department will be open? Thanks.

I second that... I'm in need of service but can't find anywhere to take it! Used to go to Beverly Hills (closed)... then went to Calabasas (closed).. then started going to Thousand Oaks (but they never call back).. I hope Galpin will be taking service appointments yesterday..

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
In Los Angeles as of August 28, 2009...

Galpin Lotus joins Thousand Oaks Lotus, and Newport Beach Lotus for warranty work and sales.

You can call them NOW for warranty service!

I am friends with Joe Van De Verre, the Lotus representative at Galpin Lotus in Van Nuys and if it's ok, I will post new information about the services they provide when I hear about it.

I know for many Lotus owners in Los Angeles it is really important to have a Lotus dealer providing warranty service in the San Fernando Valley and you have many questions.

The direct line to Joe's desk is 818-922-3644 and is the fastest way to get through to the new Lotus division there.

Also - the direct line to their Lotus Service Writer (John Alavazo - a very good guy) is 818-922-3623.

Mulholland Motor Sports (310-360-0948) near Beverly Hills (Stephan), and Qais (310-200-0022) near LAX are great for non-warranty work...:D

61 - 80 of 85 Posts