The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just called Lotus USA and they told me that Gaalpin is not a Lotus dealer.......anyone know whats up?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
What I've heard is that Galpin had all the paperwork signed and it all looked like it was going to work out. Then there was a problem with a marque at the current dealership that found out that Lotus would be there also... so they made a fuss and Galpin used an alternate address that wasn't in their dealership on Roscoe Blvd. (intersection of Roscoe and Sepulveda) Once Lotus learned of the new address, they decided it wasn't acceptable because they wanted representation at the Galpin dealership proper. So therein lies the problem and I understand that Galpin and Lotus are working to try to rectify the problem...

Bob

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
What Marque was involved in the matter? Is it a directly competitive car? Or is it just a matter of who gets the "good" floor space meaning that it could be pretty much any car brand.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Why do I feel like this whole Failed Lotus Delivery thing is causing me to look up the skirts of more businesses than I ever had an interest in?

I know cargo transport ship schedules, prep centers, transport trucker gripes, weather patterns, UK geography, "allocation ouija board" numbers, regional managers by first name, pissing matches between marques..

I just want to click my heels together and go back to being a car buyer. The kind that gets blindsighted on some Tuesday afternoon by Hank with the firm handshake and cheap cologne over a set of Nissan keys..

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Stan wrote:
What Marque was involved in the matter?
Not a clue... I wasn't told. But in the high-line Galpin showroom resides Aston Martin, Jaguar and Lincoln. So it's one of those three marques that probably raised a fuss.

If I had to guess... I'd say it was Jaguar. Why? Well, an Aston Martin buyer isn't going to care what other cars are in the showroom. In my opinion, Lincoln buyers aren't really interested in 2-seater sports car. So that leaves Jaguar by default. I guess I might see that. If I were going to buy a S-Type R and I saw the Elise, I might reconsider, keep the old Jag and add an Elise to the stable...

Bob

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Ground Loop said:
Why do I feel like this whole Failed Lotus Delivery thing is causing me to look up the skirts of more businesses than I ever had an interest in?

I know cargo transport ship schedules, prep centers, transport trucker gripes, weather patterns, UK geography, "allocation ouija board" numbers, regional managers by first name, pissing matches between marques..

I just want to click my heels together and go back to being a car buyer. The kind that gets blindsighted on some Tuesday afternoon by Hank with the firm handshake and cheap cologne over a set of Nissan keys..
That was beautiful. :bow:

·
Registered
649 Posts
If I find out for sure that frickin Jaguar is the reason that I do not end up with my dream car, I will no doubt go postal on their candy a$$es. I'll be paying 'em a visit, and I'll be bringin hell with me! You read it here it first Jaguar! Don't come between Lotus fans and their cars. DON'T!!!

This is ridiculous that Lotus does not have a single LA dealership after ALL this time.

Tearing my hear out in LA,
Chris

·
Registered
495 Posts
I would put my vote in for Aston. I don't see many Jaguar buyers looking at a Lotus. Jag doesn't even offer a stick. I could see an Aston buyer deciding to save a lot of money and go for a different kind of 'flashy' British car on impulse, or certainly one of the new Esprits when they come. Speculation either way.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The Jaguar X-type is available in a manual transmission and is priced right at approximately the same as the Elise. (X-type 3.0 fully loaded, etc.)

It could be Aston Martin... but for someone to spend such an amount of money, I can't believe they'd be disuaded from purchasing the Vantage by the Elise. But what do I know? I can't afford a Vantage...

Bob

·
Registered
670 Posts
I think I see the problem better, and I have very little hope for the Galpin deal.

This morning on CNBC there was a story, and I paraphrase here.
"Ford announced increase in earnings or this quarter. Their finance business was strong as well as improved cost basis in their car manufacturing" The reporter then adds... "Interesting that this came on the day the cut 1500 jobs in THEIR JAGUAR DIVISION "

I had forgotten that Ford owns Jag, so Jag complaning about Lotus coming in is not some pesky little Brit car company making a stink, it is Galpins bread and butter making a stink. The address issue must be that Ford has determined Galpin will not be allowed to sell Lotus beside Jaguar. The other address owned by Galpin is a Lincoln dealer in Santa Clarita (17 miles north) and a Saturn dealer at the other end of that street. I imagine Lotus
is balking at a Lincoln/Lotus of a Saturn/Lotus location.

I don't see a happy outcome for us who bought into the Galpin deal. When another dealer is chosen it will be months, and the chance of hearing early and securing a decent spot, slim.

Of course this is all speculation and I REALLY hope to be wrong.

Steve

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I recall that when the Galpin Lotus deal was first announced, it was stated that they used the Santa Clarita address to avoid a conflict with Symbolic's franchise, but were going to actually sell the cars from their Van Nuys location. It may be Lotus, not Jaguar that is behind the holdup. I'm not implying that Lotus is causing a problem, but there may be valid, unresolved legal problems with their other franchisees and Galpin at this location.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Sownman said:
I imagine Lotus
is balking at a Lincoln/Lotus of a Saturn/Lotus location.
[/B]
Unless Saturn changed their rules (which isn't unlikely in the face of their sales), there is no such thing as an Anything/Saturn location.

All Saturn dealerships are exclusive.

At least, that was the case years ago when I was reading up on them.

They can be next to another dealership, but can't share signs or showrooms. All the dealerships here in San Diego are exclusive and hide their owner affiliations.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts