The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
A new toy for Mr. Leno ! At least he really drives his cars, and is very receptive to his fans and fellow enthusiasts. He's not at all arrogant, and always shows up at local car events in the same "uniform" - denim shirt and jeans !

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
i can't believe this guy makes $16,000,000 a year. He's not even funny. NBC should pay Conan that much and give him Leno's time slot.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
It's been a dream of mine to meet Mr. Leno in person, maybe ex-change a couple of words with the man. Anybody know how I could go about meeting him? PM me.

I am inspired by the man, he slept in his car when he first got to Cali and now he's taking delivery of his newest supercar...

Neil

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I met him once. He was born about 25 miles from where I was born in Massachussetts. He's a really down to earth guy. You would never know he made that kind of money.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Little Bastard,

Jay Leno is an automotive fan. I've met him at one of my favorite bookstars of all time: Autobooks in Burbank. He also attends many of the Ford car shows (Knott's Berry Farm, etc.)

The last time I saw Jay, it was at Autobooks. He was driving his Model T and was buying some car books.

Bob

BTW, I should arrange a get-together to go to this bookstore. It was my little secret auto book place for many years, but it's grown-up and it seems everyone knows about it now...

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
shay2nak said:
i can't believe this guy makes $16,000,000 a year. He's not even funny. NBC should pay Conan that much and give him Leno's time slot.
Different strokes I guess. I won't watch Conan. I don't think the show is funny at all. Leno is pretty good. I usually watch Letterman.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Bob -

Autobooks is a very cool place ! They also have lots of models, and books on planes and trains as well.

I guess there's also another book store specializing in cars etc. someplace on the west side of LA, but I've never been there. Have you or anybody else ?

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
rtking said:
BTW, I should arrange a get-together to go to this bookstore. It was my little secret auto book place for many years, but it's grown-up and it seems everyone knows about it now...
Hey Bob
sounds like a great idea... lets do it! I'm in!

Neil

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Hey kids -

I've got an idea, we could hit Autobooks in Burbank, as well as Exoticar in Beverly Hills - they've got some outrageous models and other stuff. And I think that other book store is not that far from Exoticar. Maybe even a trip to the Peterson although that may be too much for one day....

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
mikester said:
Hey kids -

I've got an idea, we could hit Autobooks in Burbank, as well as Exoticar in Beverly Hills - they've got some outrageous models and other stuff. And I think that other book store is not that far from Exoticar. Maybe even a trip to the Peterson although that may be too much for one day....
Let's make it a Club111 event... who's in charge of organizing events?

Neil

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Little Bastard said:
It's been a dream of mine to meet Mr. Leno in person, maybe ex-change a couple of words with the man. Anybody know how I could go about meeting him? PM me.

I am inspired by the man, he slept in his car when he first got to Cali and now he's taking delivery of his newest supercar...

Neil
I believe Leno is a frequent participant in some drives that occur in SoCal...somewhere along Mullholland Freeway?

I've seen pics on some other forum.

EDIT: http://www.forbes.com/2000/12/18/1218lenols.html

Leno would rather hang out in the garage than do almost anything else--except write and tell jokes. So his spare time is spent tinkering with his cars, or riding his bikes. He turns up at local car shows, rides one of his bikes up to the Rock Store on Sundays and often invites friends over to look at new acquisitions.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I often take mullholand to work & have seen him driving some pretty wild machinery.

well, ok, I was only sure it was him once, when he drove past me (going the other way) in what I believe to be a 1930's or so open cockpit Bugatti.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
You know, I don't mind Jay Leno's TV schitck. And I absolutely believe that he loves cars, or else he wouldn't have such an amazing collection. But the two times I saw him on car-related TV shows, he acted like, well, not anyone I would want to approach and start talking cars with

The details are fuzzy, but during the first show he was giving a guy a tour of his auto collection. The guy is a host of one of the Speed channel shows; he has a really wild, old-fashioned bushy mustache ... If you watch Speed, you know who I'm talking about. Anyhow, the Speed channel guy was suitably enthusiastic and interested to see Leno's steam-powered cars, but Leno was acting like the tour was a royal pain in the ass. The guy would ask a good question, and Leno would respond with curt, short, almost meanginless answers. The interview went on this way for the whole segment. In a nutshell, Leno was acting like he hated the guy, hated his own car collection, hated talking about his car collection, and hated life.

About a year later, I saw Leno doing a "guest test drive" on another Speed channel show. I Tivoed it because I really wanted to see if his mood had changed. Well, he wasn't as antisocial this time, but he still essentially robot-like in his running commentary during the drive. Once again, it seemed like the whole experience was a bother to him. (I believe he was driving either the Porsche GT or the new Mercedez-Benz supercar).

The upshot is that for a world-reknown car guy, he doesn't strike me as anyone who has the typical geeky passion to discuss cars. Either that, or he only feels comfortable when HE is doing the interviewing, and not the other way around.

Edit: You know, now that I think about it, he was on the Dennis Miller show two weeks ago, and he was being a complete antisocial robot then as well. I mean, his hostility to Dennis Miller was palpable.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
John M3,

I saw the interview on Speed that you are talking about. I think that's just his personality. If you watch his show (which I have'nt for a long time), he's short and "rude" with his guests as well. He could be a lot less open with his collection, and if he did'nt like sharing his cars with folks he would'nt do it IMO.

I understand what you are saying, but I don't think he is being intentionally short w/ people. Just my opinion.

Jim

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Unbelievable dude!!!

DENNNIS GAGE is the guy with the huge curled handlebar mustache you're talking about on Speed Channel -

This guy is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!

Here's a brief bio:

Born on farm in northern IL, loved and owned muscle and sports cars while in college

Played steel guitar - opened for Charlie Daniels, Waylon Jennings, Dr. Hook

But decided to go back to grad school and got 2 Ph.D.'s - chemistry and quantum physics - got an American Chemical Society award.

Worked for 10 years here in Cincinnati at Procter & Gamble where he INVENTED PRINGLES - you may notice his resemblance to the guy on the Pringles can - not a coincidence! Holds a bunch of patents there.

Then went to work for Bristol Myers Squibb as Director of Product Development

He quit there to do TV - Speed Channel show because of his love for cars.

This guy is my hero - what a mind! He says he can't believe he gets paid to talk about cars

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Here's a little more on Dennis:

Dennis Gage is the TV host of ‘My Classic Car’ and a huge automotive enthusiast. The show is in its eighth season and is one of the highest rated motorsports programs on the SpeedTV network.

BGBDLINC: “How did you get started in your career before becoming a TV host for ‘My Classic Car’?”

DG: “I have a PhD in chemistry, believe it or not, and even when my career was involved in the food industry, I still had a wild interest in the automobile, especially muscle cars and classic/antiques. During my time at Bristol-Myers Squibb, I met Brad Kimmel, founder of Bradley David Productions, Inc and creator of ‘My Classic Car’. While I had no formal training in television, I had a good knowledge of classic cars, an outgoing personality, and a memorable moustache and I just kind of came across a dream job.”

http://www.cincyconcours.com/DennisGage .htm

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Wow, I had no idea the mustache guy was that interesting a character...

As for Leno, at least when he's being "rude" on his show, he's animated, engaging, and "on." But, seriously, after the Dennis Gage segment on the steamer cars, I thought to myself, "This was a train wreck... Leno must have been coerced into this by his agent... I will never see Leno on Speed channel again."

But there he was again doing the test drive!

And just to clarify: I do not begrudge Leno his personality traits, whatever they may be. I am only saying that I would be very reluctant to approach him and start talking cars. He comes off as a guy who wants to be left alone.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
JonM3Coupe said:
And just to clarify: I do not begrudge Leno his personality traits, whatever they may be. I am only saying that I would be very reluctant to approach him and start talking cars. He comes off as a guy who wants to be left alone.
To offer an alternate perspective..

Some friends of mine were riding motorcycles around the SoCal mountains and stopped for a break at some Cafe in Idyllwild. One of these guys is a total McLaren nut, and what should pull up for a cooldown but a McLaren F1. Driving it, of course, is Jay Leno.

Once he snapped his jaw shut, this guy was just brimming with questions and finally worked up the nerve to go talk to The Man. To his surprise, Leno was totally into the gory details and they chatted a bit when Jay says "Wanna go for a drive?" This lucky bastard got to ride shotgun around the hills and came back with a permagrin that's still there.

Now if only he would shut up about it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts