The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most places on the web seem to be selling it for between $3-$5 per square foot for the "Free-Flow" variety. The diamond plate looking stuff is a bit more expensive.

I don't plan to do an entire garage with it, just a parking pad for the Elise. I'm guessing I could probably do it for around $600.

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
Actually I have www.kiwitile.com. I got samples of racedeck and several others and did not go with racedeck. I did get feedback that racedeck was better because dirt could not fall into the holes in the floor. The downside is that when you do have a leak, it can get under the racedeck and you cannot get it up without taking the floor up. Since I work on my cars, and have two Porsches that seem to always be leaking something, I wanted to be able to "suck" out any fluids that leaked.

After one year, I'd get the kiwi stuff again without hesitation. When my wife is not home, I take her vacuum cleaner out to the garage and vacuum it like you would a hard floor. It gets 80% of the stuff up, no problem. Every 3 or 4 months, I get my shop vac, which will suck a bowling ball threw a garden hose, and use it on the floor. I picks up 100% of the dirt that falls into the cracks.

Basically, my floor always looks clean, which I love!

Good luck.

Roy

ps. Pic here...

http://www.lotussource.com/lspics/garage/floor.jpg

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice!

The Kiwi tiles are cheaper per square foot too. Now I just have to decide what color scheme to go with :p

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
It is a www.backyardbuddy.com. It's $3,200, mine was about $3500 with the options I ordered which were three drip trays, cansters (roll it around if needed) and aluminum ramps (much lighter).

If you need a lift, make sure you understand the different types, specifically the way they lock. Lift failures are not good:(

Mine has been great.

Roy

·
Registered
607 Posts
Tpup said:
It is a www.backyardbuddy.com. It's $3,200, mine was about $3500 with the options I ordered which were three drip trays, cansters (roll it around if needed) and aluminum ramps (much lighter).

If you need a lift, make sure you understand the different types, specifically the way they lock. Lift failures are not good:(

Mine has been great.

Roy
I'd have a lift in the garage in a heartbeat, if I didn't have that loft taking up headroom. That lift looks great!

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
I get my shop vac, which will suck a bowling ball threw a garden hose..
tpup, you have all the cool toys. What shopvac?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
MY friend Mike painted his garage floor with the Griot's epoxy-based garage paint. It looks good and is easy to clean. In the next house, he used some off-brand garage paint and was disappointed (very runny and required a bunch of coats and still didn't give as good a final result).

·
Banned
901 Posts
Hi All:

FYI! The national Lotus owners club, Lotus Ltd. has a discount program with Kiwi Tile and Ealge Lifts for our members. The savings on these and other products will more then pay for your membership in Lotus Ltd.

Membership has its privileges! If you'd like to join the club and enjoy these and other benefits see our web site or e-mail [email protected] for a membership form.

Mark Pfeffer - Treasurer Lotus Ltd.

Lotus Ltd. Web Site

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Roy,
What kind of floor jack can you use on the exige/elise. I'm figuring to get one of the lightweight ones.

I'm lusting after my friend rotary lift he installed in his garage!
Chris

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
Randy,

The shopvac is the big dog they sell at Home Depot, it's a Rigid...

Chris,

I have a Griots, which is very low but it's really heavy. I'd buy their aluminum one if I had it to do over again... This is what I have...

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=77715

All,

If you want a deal on Kiwi, just call them and they will work with you. In addition, I would not take an Eagle Lift if you gave it to me. Check out the way it locks (welded locks) and the open 4 posts. No way I put an expensive car on that one. I tried to find my old file that included several lift failures, I don't remember if Eagle was one but the type of lift they make is not even close to the better lifts like www.backyardbuddy.com and www.kw-lift.com. The kw lifts have a better ramp than mine (1 piece instead of three), I did not find them until after I ordered mine...

Roy

ps. As for the Lotus Club plugging themselfs at evey opportunity, I'll throw out that I have been a Lotus owner since 1980 and have yet to see anything from the club that justifies joining. (I actually did "join" once, paid the local President. I guess my error was paying cash, I never got anything out of it...) FYI, that comes from someone who has been a member of the Viper Club, Lamborghini Club, and Porsche Club for many many years...

·
Banned
901 Posts
Roy:

The "local club" was likely NOT an affiliate club of Lotus Ltd. If it were, your membership dues would have been paid to Lotus Ltd. directly.

As for benefits, Lotus Ltd. offers a variety including our monthly newsletter, discounts with a number of car related vendors, insurance for any activites your local or national club organizes (remember we live in America the land of the lawsuit), discounts for our annual national meeting, discoutns on track days, discounts at several professional driving/racing schools and you might just meet other Lotus owners you like.

Mark (Shamelessly Promoting) Pfeffer

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have RACEDECK tiles in the single garage I will keep the elise in. It is awsome for me........w/ the borders it cost less then $700.-
I will try to get a picture and post it.
Did find it cost prohibitive for my larger garage, plus I get alot of water in there.
I am very happy with it and get alot of comments.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts