The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For us Northeastern Lotus owners fall seems to be right on schedule with much cooler temperatures moving in real fast. Much as I hate to say the furry little creatures some think of as 'cute' also know as 'mice' are invading my garage as I live in very deep country.

So far over the past week I have caught 15 not to mention fighting them all summer because of the warm winter last year.

So to talk like a Pirate: " Button down the hatches Matey because the bilge rats R coming! Arrr"

Best I can offer is:

If your parking you car for the winter plug the exhaust bung with steel wool.
Do not leave any Kleenex, napkin or paper towel material in the car that means ANY type of paper material.
Moth balls don't work and they only make your car stink... like a moth's balls?
Do not place bars of soap in the car, the mice will only chew them up and carry said pieces all over the interior which you may not see until it will melt from summer heat and make a real mess.
Dryer sheets will help however if not replaced on a regular basis they become nesting material. Most mice get over the fragrance and they make soft warm cozy bedding of them. Personally I would not use them.
If you can, place a piece of metal screen over the fresh air vent opening into the heater system. Use mechanics wire to secure it as they will chew through zip-ties or rubber bands.
I hear Peppermint Oil soaked cotton balls will keep them out but not sure if it works. The fragrance of the oil only lasts so long and cotton makes nice nesting material.

Get square aluminium 9X13 baking pans from the dollar store. If you can find them DeCon makes a trap which 'houses' the bait and they cannot escape there for a guaranty kill or a snap trap it just needs to be checked once a week or sooner, they will cannibalize their own species for food. Place them on the floor board of the car, with the high sides of the pan if caught by one leg they cannot escape leaving you to the 'Ol Factory' to sniff out where they are.

Any opening they can get their head through they will be able to get their body through is the most importmant thing to remember... no hole to small.

That time of year again :(

·
Premium Member
2,825 Posts
How do I access the fresh air vent??
I've been in a Boxster and an RX-8 that had the stench of dead rodent in their duct system. Very nasty smell. Turns your stomach kind of smell:(

The cool air is definitely coming and they're forecasting a severe winter. As you may know, they're right 50% of the time. Lol.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
Unfortunately poison will only have them crawl into places and die. That will leave thier decomposing bodies to smell up a car. See the post about how mice died in the fresh air vents and could not get the smell out of the car. Traps will work but must be attended to. I am in the country and have the mice issue to deal with. Peanut butter works well when they get used to cheese in the traps. The important thing is to be vigilant and keep the trap bait fresh. Good luck in your fight!

·
He's on fire!
3,261 Posts
I've got a trap I only have to check once a year. It involves a spinning coffee can covered in peanut butter and a 5 gallon bucket. Got 8 or 9 a couple years ago, I've been trouble free since then *knocks wood*

·
Carbon Fiber
1,637 Posts
I'd look into the construction of your garage, there's must be lots of places rats can get in

I would not risk parking my ride in there! Come next year you will have ripped and stained seats covered in poopooo

Do you have a guide to DIY construction handy? Maybe that and a home owners book '

Please post your address so I know not to buy your house ever!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd look into the construction of your garage, there's must be lots of places rats can get in

I would not risk parking my ride in there! Come next year you will have ripped and stained seats covered in poopooo

Do you have a guide to DIY construction handy? Maybe that and a home owners book '

Please post your address so I know not to buy your house ever!
I do not know much about Pittsburg, PA except for passing through but one thing I do know is I wouldn't want to live there.
Before you start trashing my house try living in the country and telling the rest of us how it is done we would like to know.
As the old saying goes... "Build a better mouse trap and the world will beat a path to your door"

Footnote: My sportscars are not stored here during the winter and I rent this house so I'm not putting my money into it. My cars that sit outside suffer the same thing... I went to change an injector in my Audi S6 when I opened the hood and there was a live mouse running around looking for a place to hide. Inside ~ Outside... here in the Berkshires of western MA it doesn't make any difference. -poke-

·
Premium Member
2,825 Posts
Sounds crappy..
Lol.
There are many other benefits to living in the Berkshires. You should take a weekend trip to the area during fall foliage. You might think it's worth dealing with some mice;-)

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I've got a trap I only have to check once a year. It involves a spinning coffee can covered in peanut butter and a 5 gallon bucket. Got 8 or 9 a couple years ago, I've been trouble free since then *knocks wood*
"This thread is useless without pictures" TTIUWP

Seriously, maybe a schematic? I'm intrigued.

In order for the Europa to return I've had to move he track Elise to a storage unit a couple miles down the road where we keep the trailer :(

So of course my big concern there is becoming a rodent hotel.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Wouldn't a car cover help?

Can someone post pictures of where they can enter the Elise?

I'm in the underground garage of a 2 year old hotel in the downtown of a big city. I think I'm ok, but...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts