The Lotus Cars Community banner

1001 - 1020 of 1032 Posts

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
That floor looks great! So does he slatboard. How bad was that to put up? Seems easy, but you never know.

I need to completely refinish my floor since the previous owners didn't prep right, so the epoxy is peeling badly. With 700 sq ft, I really, really don't want to mess with it, haha

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
32 Posts
That floor looks great! So does he slatboard. How bad was that to put up? Seems easy, but you never know.

I need to completely refinish my floor since the previous owners didn't prep right, so the epoxy is peeling badly. With 700 sq ft, I really, really don't want to mess with it, haha

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
The slatboard was extremely easy. Just be sure you don't install it upside down. I got about half way done and had to pull it all off to start over (at 10pm).

Removing epoxy to re-apply doesn't sound like a fun job, regardless of the size.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
The slatboard was extremely easy. Just be sure you don't install it upside down. I got about half way done and had to pull it all off to start over (at 10pm).

Removing epoxy to re-apply doesn't sound like a fun job, regardless of the size.
Yeah, they have re-surfacers that look like a giant sander, so I'll probably kill two birds with one stone since I also need to level some parts where a wall was taken down between two bays. I was going to do that and the shelving all at once, but the more I think about it, those shelves are floating, right? I wonder if I could put the shelving in, get everything stored off of the floor, and then just need to move the cars out of the way. It's going to be dustier than all get-out though...

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
The concrete grinder I rented worked great. The hardest part was getting out of and back into my pickup truck (the engine hoist worked well for that). The concrete dust is super fine. Much like dry chemical fire extinguisher agent. Wear a mask.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
The concrete grinder I rented worked great. The hardest part was getting out of and back into my pickup truck (the engine hoist worked well for that). The concrete dust is super fine. Much like dry chemical fire extinguisher agent. Wear a mask.
About how long did it take and how many square feet? It is still a spousal debate whether or not we hire someone to do it, and I think I am losing (I'm for DIY). What did you use as the finish for the concrete?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah, they have re-surfacers that look like a giant sander, so I'll probably kill two birds with one stone since I also need to level some parts where a wall was taken down between two bays. I was going to do that and the shelving all at once, but the more I think about it, those shelves are floating, right? I wonder if I could put the shelving in, get everything stored off of the floor, and then just need to move the cars out of the way. It's going to be dustier than all get-out though...
I rented a resurfacer from Home Depot to grind away some old spilled paint, and also to score the surface for the base coat to adhere better. It worked extremely well in some areas, but barely scored it in others. I recommend making sure you get a new sanding attachment if you rent one. I used up all 6 hours of my rental period, and Home Depot is just around the corner from me. More sanding is better than less.

I also recommend moving everything out, doing the work, and then moving everything back in. The selves are floating, but resurfacing the floor makes a mess, and you'll end up spending HOURS cleaning if you leave stuff in the garage. My house was packed for a couple weeks, but it was worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
32 Posts
About how long did it take and how many square feet? It is still a spousal debate whether or not we hire someone to do it, and I think I am losing (I'm for DIY). What did you use as the finish for the concrete?
Grinding and cleanup can be done in a day. Definitely DIY.

My total garage makeover took a few weeks, but I had issues with shelving delivery. Overall, I spend pennies doing it myself compared to what a company would have charged me.

·
** Acme Super Moderator ** ** The Enforcer **
6,765 Posts
Your garages are nicer than my living quarters. I could settle for a nice garage with a loft, cooking area, bathroom and entertainment center.

San

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Your garages are nicer than my living quarters. I could settle for a nice garage with a loft, cooking area, bathroom and entertainment center.

San
We stayed in a cabin near Asheville, NC for some fun roads that was set up like that. The first level was a carport and sauna, second level was a studio living room, murphy bed, and kitchen. Even accounting for the land would be less than 6 figures to build. Needless to say, we have the vacation home planned out, haha

Back to the subject at hand, this is the view from the computer lab at my undergrad's motorsport department. The noise at times could be a little distracting, but, man, something about doing CAD when the real thing was nearby and the mill was there, too. While this garage is out of reach for myself by a long shot, it has several great features. Namely the air hoses and extensions cords hanging from reels on the ceiling.

Attachments

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,254 Posts

San
I like to joke that the attached garage in our current home is larger than our first house. I could never go back. :smile2:

Below is the main half.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,397 Posts
I am very envious.

·
Premium Member
11,397 Posts
I've got a dining room I don't use. A spare bedroom I don't use.

But, can't get cars in those places.

I store the RE11s or ~ inside during winter. A few yrs ago, I realized what's the point of being divorced if you can't store tires in the downstair office???
--

Realtors were often surprised when I told them I preferred a detached garage. Don't want to lose both structures and items in a fire.

1001 - 1020 of 1032 Posts