The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I know we all have the nice pictures, license plates, etc on garages. Many have the Brembo clocks, but I was looking for some other ideas.

More artsy, simplistic. Like a 3 feet decorative hammer, or a 2 feet wrench, things of that nature.

I looked around, and there are sites that sell porsche engine glass tables, $7000! and things like that , but they seem to be all $4000 and up.

I don't need a glass table, etc, but looking for some off the beaten path ideas to put a few statement pieces on the wall.

Appreciate your input.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,516 Posts
You mean pegboard filled with tools is not enough for you?
Will Fathead (or similar) make a custom decal for you?
You could always go to the junk yard (or Craigslist) and make your own engine table cheaply.
A TV or two?
Maybe some “antique” tools hanging up.

Sorry, not many new and impressive ideas from me. I do not have much decorative wall space in my garage.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Old owner actually put a pegboard on the wall. Hate it. I will be tearing it down and drywalling that part. I like my tools, neat, organized, and out of sight. :)

I don't need a table and desk in the garage, but thinking of either getting those table you can buy online that has the shock assembly on the side, or doing an engine table as you suggested.

The antique tool idea is exactly what I would like-any idea where I can acquire some?

My favorite garage was in your neck of the woods. Stayed a night with a friend (got in very late night). He has about 30 cars. Wake up in the moring, and on teh street are cessna plates. I had a WTF moment, then realized all the houses had attached "hanger" and everyone was a plane owner, except my friend had the cars. Not far from Denver at all.

Sadly, in CA, I don't have that kinda $$ to have that big of a garage. I did find a house about 5 years back, 900 sq feet house, 50 car attached garage, but spouse didn't want to live in it :(

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
I did find a house about 5 years back, 900 sq feet house, 50 car attached garage, but spouse didn't want to live in it :(
That selfish woman! It sounds perfect to me. You should have offered her the spot closest to the back door with her own opener. You would settle for the other 49 spots. That is true compromise.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That selfish woman! It sounds perfect to me. You should have offered her the spot closest to the back door with her own opener. You would settle for the other 49 spots. That is true compromise.
I offered her all 900 sq feet, and 2 garage spaces, and she declined. The 50 car garage had full heated floor and indoor car washing facilities (not that it is needed in CA).

Women...... :facepalm

·
Registered
640 Posts
How about a clam off of a damaged Elise/Exige? Or some of the old school grills from the 30's/40's? My garage is small, but mainly decorated with my tools hanging everywhere. But I get wanting to keep them put away, I just don't have the space yet.

Corvus

·
Registered
442 Posts

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How about a clam off of a damaged Elise/Exige? Or some of the old school grills from the 30's/40's? My garage is small, but mainly decorated with my tools hanging everywhere. But I get wanting to keep them put away, I just don't have the space yet.

Corvus
Damaged clam would be a really nice idea. Or I even thought of like an Elise engine lid to hang.

I would love the old school grills.

Thanks for the great ideas!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Clean wall 'art'.

>>>https://www.style-your-garage.com/en/Garage-poster/Motifs-from-59-EUR/

These are intended for Garage doors, but work on any large surface area. If I had the space, I'd get a bunch and put them on a roller system so that I could pull down a dif one when/what ever the mood suited me.
Very interesting. Is it going to look horrible on a garage door? Very interesting idea. Not sure how it mounts and looks finished.

I could do this on one side of the wall for sure, as I have the space!

I like the suggestion of a Race Track....

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,516 Posts
Old owner actually put a pegboard on the wall. Hate it. I will be tearing it down and drywalling that part. I like my tools, neat, organized, and out of sight. :)
I like pegboard, too many tools fill up tool chests that take up floor space that I don’t have.

The antique tool idea is exactly what I would like-any idea where I can acquire some?
I'd guess Craigslist, Ebay, flee markets or swap meets. I know my Dad has some older tools from his father. I’m not sure any of those are very interesting but I’ll ask him if he has anything left or if he can find any of them in the shop.

My favorite garage was in your neck of the woods. Stayed a night with a friend (got in very late night). He has about 30 cars. Wake up in the moring, and on teh street are cessna plates. I had a WTF moment, then realized all the houses had attached "hanger" and everyone was a plane owner, except my friend had the cars. Not far from Denver at all.
I need to meet your friend.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^^

Thank you very much!

Yeah my friend is pretty crazy. 70 years old, on oxygen tank, has two Unimogs... on couple of forums...

Single , no kids..living the live in the CO

·
Closet Petrolhead
99 Posts
I collect vintage Lotus ads from various magazines. Really old ones - you can find all kinds on eBay - and frame them up nicely. They're not old wrenches or giant hammers, but if you mix some of those oddly-shaped thingies in with various sizes and shapes of framed images, it makes for a really lovely wall (and inexpensive).
b60001.jpg

·
Registered
48 Posts
I did a raised Cavallino where I parked my Ferrari. It was made of stucco, and I drew the outline in AutoCAD and plotted it big to trace on the wall. You could do something similar with the Lotus logo or just an outline of the car... I also painted striped on each side of the relief with the country flag colors for Italy. It was nice, and inexpensive. At first I had painted it tan, but that looked boring, so I coated it with Onyx Venetian plaster.

:)
BT

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Automotive Fine Art

Check this out. "gdausch.com" Automotive Fine Art. Original paintings, Limited Edition prints, custom canvas prints and commissioned works.

Artist worked for IndyCar team for 13 years designing marketing programs, paint schemes, etc.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts