The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to copy itunes into Garmin mp3 file, but the songs don't appear in Garmin's music list.

I copied each song individually.

Garmin manual: You need to edit the M3U file with a text editor, such as Notepad, to remove the path (link) to the MP3. The M3U file should only list the mp3 files in your playlist, not their location.

1. What the hell is an M3U file?

2. Can/should I do the editing using windows Explorer on the files the computer already show to be in the Garmin MP3 file?

3. How do I do this?

When I bring up the files in Explorer from the Garmin, I have a choice of "open with" and most say itunes. Need I change this?

Help, please.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
an m3u file is a plain old text file, its just a list of file names.
simple way is just to put all the mp3 files you have on your garmin
into a directory on your PC, say C:\mp3

for windows

got to the start menu, run then type

cmd <ENTER>
(press the enter, don't type it) a black box should appear
type
C:
cd\mp3
dir /b *.mp3 >playlist.m3u
exit

then copy the m3u file to the garmin.

or open notepad and type a list of the mp3s you have on the device

file1.mp3
file2.mp3

etc, then save it to the computer or the garmin, notepad will save it with a .txt extension so you'll have to rename it.

or if you already have the m3u file, right click select open with, choose program, if notepad isn't listed, cick other and select notepad from the c:\windows folder.

if you have known file extensions turned off, you wont see the .txt part though, so watch out you don't end up with playlist.m3u.txt

·
Premium Member
11,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, charlie, but still lost...

an m3u file is a plain old text file, its just a list of file names.
simple way is just to put all the mp3 files you have on your garmin
into a directory on your PC, say C:\mp3

for windows

got to the start menu, run then type

cmd <ENTER>
(press the enter, don't type it) a black box should appear
type
C:
cd\mp3 I typed cd\mp3 and cmd didn't find it. Must I create an M3U file even tho explore says the files are in my Garmin already (but don't show up on its playlist??)
exit

then copy the m3u file to the garmin.

or open notepad and type a list of the mp3s you have on the device

file1.mp3
file2.mp3

do you mean I open the garmin mp3s in explore and type this, or open notepad separately?

etc, then save it to the computer or the garmin, notepad will save it with a .txt extension so you'll have to rename it. To what?

or if you already have the m3u file, right click select open with, choose program, if notepad isn't listed, cick other and select notepad from the c:\windows folder.

if you have known file extensions turned off, you wont see the .txt part though, so watch out you don't end up with playlist.m3u.txt

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
the c:\mp3 only exists if you make it in windows and copy the mp3 files to that location, so if you have the mp3's on your computer in different folder, use that directory name instead.

does the garmin appear as a drive? if it appears as drive E: or whatever change the commands to, this wil create the m3u file too.

E:\
CD whichever_folder_mp3s_are_in
exit

if the files are in the root of the garmin, just do

E:
cd \
exit

if you create the file in notepad rename the .txt as .m3u (since notepad will save it with a .txt extension)

·
Premium Member
11,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Charlie -

Apparently, I'm dumber than either of us thought. Here is what I put in cmd:

e:\cd C:\Documents and Settings\gb\My Documents\My Music\iTunes dir/b*.mp3>playlist.m3u

When I hit <enter> I got: the system cannot find the path specified.

Yes,the Garmini appears as drive e:, but I must get them into the garmin mp3 file.

I am still asea. Would you be willing to call my 800# and help? I would send you a check for your time.

How do I get you my 800# (secretly)?

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
if the directory name has spaces in it, you must surround it with quotes.

so do this, (one line at a time pressing enter after each.). Also this only works for files in this immediate directory, not in sub directories.

c:\
cd "C:\Documents and Settings\gb\My Documents\My Music\iTunes"
dir/b*.mp3>playlist.m3u
exit

then copy the m3u file to the garmin where the mp3 files are.

since the garmin is drive E: , copy the mp3 files to the garmin to where they ought to go then do the one i listed above.

try that if it doesn't work, call me at 818 404 2395, i'm working in the garage today so you might have problems getting a hold of me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts