The Lotus Cars Community banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Heads up.. Garw Black Screen... My Garw instrument cluster has just gone black and I'm unable to get any response fromGarw, [email protected]. Just be aware before sinking in $$.
I've switched back to the original dash and I'm not sure if it would be worth switching back even if they get back in touch.
I just ordered mine and he replied quickly.

perhaps the screen only is dead. can you connect to it via bluetooth?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Heads up.. Garw Black Screen... My Garw instrument cluster has just gone black and I'm unable to get any response fromGarw, [email protected]. Just be aware before sinking in $$.
I've switched back to the original dash and I'm not sure if it would be worth switching back even if they get back in touch.
I've had that happen a few times with mine. Disconnecting and reconnecting the battery made it come back to life. After the second time that happened, I installed a power switch to the Garw so I can cycle power without disconnecting the battery.

·
purveyor of lightness
4,085 Posts
I've had that happen a few times with mine. Disconnecting and reconnecting the battery made it come back to life. After the second time that happened, I installed a power switch to the Garw so I can cycle power without disconnecting the battery.
I have a normally-closed pushbutton mounted underneath the dash so I can give it a "reboot-push" when that happens. I try to start the car within eight seconds of opening the door so that the starter battery voltage drain doesn't cause the GarW to go dark. It's double tricky with the RevX since it wants two crank sequences first thing in the morning (needs more coffee!)

I've also tested a supercapacitor/Schottky diode solution on the Gen1 unit I have on my bench (and it works wonderfully) but I haven't disassembled / rewired the power source as of yet. That Gen1 unit will be up for sale soon - I don't need two :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cutting the power did not help reliably anymore at some point. In any cases it needed the supply voltage inputs to be discharged for the hack work. To do so, I cut the power and switched the ignition on, waited for at least 30 seconds and then restored power with a cut-out switch.
I still did some track outings in Spa with a black dash switching gears by feel. :-( Was OK, but less then ideal.

I had mine repaired afterwards last summer (no repair costs charged) by GARW. The reason the unit sometimes does not reboot is a hardware issue in the reset circuitry I was told. I was asked to returned it to them after a more simple fix did not work. I had also scratched my screen during the numerous installs I did and he replaced the screen also free of cost.
I have not reinstalled it yet as the car is at an external storage place over winter.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I am installing my GARW now. In removing the binnacle, I lost 2 of the 4 dash clips. Does anyone have the part number and/or where to source them?

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
@SS Lotus Elise I've taken my binnacle off a few times and a cheap flexible magnet from Harbor Freight worked wonders for me. It never fails, they will always pop out every single time you remove the binnacle. It's easier to fish for them once the cluster is removed.

With that said, is this Garw a new one you ordered from their Website or bought used? I ask because if it is a new one from Garw, do not install it yet as there is a defect in the harness that can fry the cluster they initially sent out. I received an email from them the day I received it last week stating to send the harness back and they will send us an updated harness. I can share the email info he sent if needed.

·
Registered
380 Posts
@SS Lotus Elise I've taken my binnacle off a few times and a cheap flexible magnet from Harbor Freight worked wonders for me. It never fails, they will always pop out every single time you remove the binnacle. It's easier to fish for them once the cluster is removed.

With that said, is this Garw a new one you ordered from their Website or bought used? I ask because if it is a new one from Garw, do not install it yet as there is a defect in the harness that can fry the cluster they initially sent out. I received an email from them the day I received it last week stating to send the harness back and they will send us an updated harness. I can share the email info he sent if needed.
Thanks for the heads up but I bought the GARW last May, so I don't think it will have that problem. I tried fishing but got skunked, so I figured it would be easier to just get some new ones. I guess I will try more fishing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
do not install it yet as there is a defect in the harness that can fry the cluster they initially sent out.
Received my new harness to find the fuel level is now screwed up. Not driven it yet but hoping everything else still works.

Has anyone managed to mirror their phone onto the dash? Initial videos showed this but now removed from Garw youtube channel.

·
Registered
30 Posts
On the new harness for the newest IC7:

Did GARW send the harness to you to replace the one that is defective?
Did you sent the defective one back to them and did they send you a postage paid package to send it?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
@Mansfield New harness coming this week so can’t test yet. I’ll let you know how it works out once I get it all installed.

I took a pic of my receipt when I shipped him the harness back thru USPS and he refunded me my cost within minutes.

@markhs2 I do not know if he reused our defective harness to create the new one. Did you initially install the “defective” harness and everything worked? And now with the “updated” harness the fuel gauge doesn’t?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had not received the IC7 before I got the email telling me the harness was defective. I sent an email and they sent me a replacement. It was the other guy with the fuel gauge issue.
How much was the cost to ship the harness back via ups and what was the weight and the package you used?
Thanks

@Mansfield
I took a pic of my receipt when I shipped him the harness back thru USPS and he refunded me my cost within minutes.

@markhs2 I do not know if he reused our defective harness to create the new one. Did you initially install the “defective” harness and everything worked? And now with the “updated” harness the fuel gauge doesn’t?

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Oops. Sorry for the confusion. Meant to tag Mansfield lol.

I used USPS. Not UPS. I put it in one of those bubble wrap envelopes they had and it cost me $16.29. The weight from my receipt shows 2.6oz. I returned everything that was in the ziploc bag. Kept the gauge and usb harness

·
Registered
5 Posts
@Mansfield New harness coming this week so can’t test yet. I’ll let you know how it works out once I get it all installed.

My original harness worked fine. New modified harness shows fuel level now at 184% (was at 40%).

I'll run the car and see to if this value moves and try to re-calibrate it as best I can (resetting ratio and offsets).
Mines an S1 if that's any help to anyone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My original harness worked fine. New modified harness shows fuel level now at 184% (was at 40%).

I'll run the car and see to if this value moves and try to re-calibrate it as best I can (resetting ratio and offsets).
Mines an S1 if that's any help to anyone.
Update on this:
The new harness had the wires in the wrong place on smaller connector to the garw, hence no feed for the fuel gauge.
Support gave a step by step on how to swap over the cables and all is working.

Postage for return of harness was also refunded.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just received my new garw and went to fit it, only to find on my 2006 exige there is just two wires ( red and blue) in the terminal block, instead of the three wires, red, blue and yellow.
Seems to work ok what is the yellow wire for?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Can anyone pls help on setting up the mileage. The manual said input in KM and my odometer read 36613 miles. Do I enter 59053 KM? I calculate mileage by divide by 0.62? (36613/.062 = 59053.225806451) round up = 59053.
Thank you and I appreciated the help.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Can anyone pls help on setting up the mileage. The manual said input in KM and my odometer read 36613 miles. Do I enter 59053 KM? I calculate mileage by divide by 0.62? (36613/.062 = 59053.225806451) round up = 59053.
Thank you and I appreciated the help.
Yes, you would input it as 59053km. When you return back to the dash screen it should show it as 36613 miles. I think there is one screen I believe that will show it in km but can’t remember.

81 - 100 of 100 Posts