The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I noticed some spillage from my gas tank down the side of the vehicle (98 V8). I had just filled up the tanks almost full, but I have not noticed this happen before.
However, recently I have noticed the smell of gas in the cabin whilst driving occasionally.
The photo shows that the internal 'flap' does not fully close the filler pipe. How airtight should this metal part of the filler pipe be?
How difficult is it to replace this part?
Thanks folks.
Adam

Attachments

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,861 Posts
That anti-splash flap doesn't have any seals. Even if it did, the two vent holes at the top would certainly create paths for fumes.

I suggest looking under the sail panel for deteriorating vent pipes, as the source of the 'Lotus Perfume' smell.

Also, I know your GM-style caps are different from our '88. But ours suffered from worn seals that caused gasoline to suck out of the caps at certain illegal speeds. :p Perhaps a new cap is in order? They are GM part numbers (that I'm too lazy to look up just now).

Also, make sure that the mating surface of the cap seal is smooth. Might be an issue at the one o'clock position that would benefit from sanding.

Reactions: 71type65

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Make sure you have the correct cap. The cap may have been replaced with an incorrect one. Make sure the seal on the cap is not missing or damaged. Check the filler pipe, if you stick the nozzle in and lean on it, the filler can get bent and then the cap won't seal properly. You really should not fill the tanks to the point where it overflows. The automatic nozzle should not allow that and then you should not "top off".
David Teitelbaum

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,861 Posts
The OP's question wasn't about overfilling, it was about a gasoline 'trail' down the body evident after driving. That last couple gallons take FOREVER to fill.

Here's a picture of a fuel filler as installed NEW at the factory near the end of V8 production. The metal flap in question DOES come up flush, so the OP's was probably bent by a filler nozzle at some time in its life. But, the rubber surround grommet looks different. And, you can see how much smoother the filler neck's sealing edge is.

·
Registered
361 Posts
That anti-splash flap doesn't have any seals. Even if it did, the two vent holes at the top would certainly create paths for fumes.

I suggest looking under the sail panel for deteriorating vent pipes, as the source of the 'Lotus Perfume' smell.

Also, I know your GM-style caps are different from our '88. But ours suffered from worn seals that caused gasoline to suck out of the caps at certain illegal speeds. :p Perhaps a new cap is in order? They are GM part numbers (that I'm too lazy to look up just now).

Also, make sure that the mating surface of the cap seal is smooth. Might be an issue at the one o'clock position that would benefit from sanding.
The GM gas cap # is 22525300. ACDelco # GT172. Got it at Summit for $12.
Good luck.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the help folks.
Is the gas cap supposed to have a rubber seal on it?
As always, much appreciated information.
Adam

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,861 Posts
Yes it has a rubber seal (that could be less than optimal at this age). The GM caps have a 'click' mechanism as well, don't they? (Don't ask ME as I live in NJ and we don't pump our own gas. :giggle: )

·
Car Adicted
249 Posts
I would in all seriousness fill the car less full of gas. It should help with the Lotus version of "Old Spice" smell in the cabin.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts