The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So....took the Elise out yesterday to go to a wedding. Travelling down the NJ Turnpike and pulled over to fill up and meet up with a friend. NJ law prevents you from filling up your car (I HATE THAT LAW) but I usually jump out of the car and try to do it myself. I sometimes get yelled at, but so what? One time, the guy couldn't get the nozzle into my M3 and felt that the fuel door was in the way. With me by his side, he proceeded to try to force the fuel filler door past the 90 degree mark. I yelled at him. Stupid jerk. Another time, the attendant missed the hole by 5 inches. I could understand you didn't hit it straight on but to be off by 5 inches? He ended up scratching my paint and just tried to play it off. When I looked closer, he said, "Sorry." Stupid *ss.

Anyway, this guy was rather young and very enthusiastic about the car. My friend showed up in his M3 so we were talking and he was giving me the power cord for the V1. So I didn't really pay too much attention to the gas filling process.

On the way back from the trip, we pulled into a gas station and I was at a half a tank so I thought I'd top off. To my amazement, I couldn't get the gas cap off. Twist and push and twist as I may, it wouldn't budge. Eventually, the black cap part of it broke off and the plug is left in the fuel filler opening. That meant no refuelling and I was at 3 bars.

It's rather disarming when as you're driving, you see the bars go down and you wonder, "Can I make it home?" I ended up leaving my car at my friend's house in South Orange and he drove me home. I didn't think I would have enough gas to make it home and then to the dealer where I bought the car. So now my car is at Maplecrest Lotus in Summit, NJ.

The tech says that it happened on another customer car and that he's still waiting on a gas cap from Lotus for two weeks!!!!

So... a) don't let anyone reinstall the gas cap on our cars..in fact, I'm going to cut the tether off because all it does is get in the way and make the gas cap scratch the paint and b) you might want to order one to have on the side.

The tech did say that Lotus changed the part number on the gas cap...so maybe there's an issue? On a side note, if anyone knows of a gas cap that will fit in the interim, please do share.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
The gas cap is different from other's that I've seen.

It doesn't screw on, instead it has two tabs that fit in slots in the filler pipe, and then you turn it a quarter turn or so. I had a bit of trouble getting it off the first time as it doesn't unscrew - but I didn't force it, and figured it out quickly. It appears to be a unique cap (or at least different than what I'm used to...).

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
You might check Ford. I'm pretty sure that my wife's Ford Explorer sport trac has a cap that doesn't get screwed in, its just a 1/4 of a turn twist to lock. I can try to see it next to my Liz and see if they look similar and post pics if you want.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
It's gotta be something inexpensive and mass produced. Lotus uses the parts bin to try to cut costs, always has. I used to know a gazillion Europa cross references. Saves ya time and money.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
The Elise gas cap functions and looks identical to that of a Toyota Corolla I rented on a recent trip. I did not exaimine them too closely, so there *could* be minor differences.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I'll check tonight and let you know. I know the rear view mirror says GM right on it and I hate the thing! Can't wait to get rid of that!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Ok, checked and the Explorer sport trac gas cap is not the same. I would think its probably a GM product since they may have borrowed the same the Vauxhal uses.

·
Registered
640 Posts
[QUOTE

So... a) don't let anyone reinstall the gas cap on our cars..in fact, I'm going to cut the tether off because all it does is get in the way and make the gas cap scratch the paint and b) you might want to order one to have on the side.

[/QUOTE]

That's interesting my gas cap doesn't have a tether. I wonder if Lotus changed the gas cap type mid-production ??

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Here are some pics.

You may be able to go to your local large auto parts place and possibly "get lucky"

Attachments

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
This is out of focus but it shows some detail that the other shots did not show.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Last one.

BTW this cap has a ratcheting mechanism so that you can not break it from over tightening...

Hope that helps.

Two weeks for a cap form the UK? I would be on the phone to fedex:)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I would think there is a chance that the cap is a Toyota part and you might show these pictures to your local Toyota dealers parts department...

·
Registered
643 Posts
In south Georgia, the commonly accepted aftermarket gas cap is a red shop rag... :no:

Jim

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Patricko said:
I would think there is a chance that the cap is a Toyota part and you might show these pictures to your local Toyota dealers parts department...
Excellent point. The gas cap is considered part of the emissions control system of an engine (it's even tested during CA smog checks - evaporative emissions are the concern). Thus, one has to think it'd be easier (maybe even mandatory) for Lotus to certify the Elise if they used all of the emissions equipment the Toyota motor was designed with. Thus, this gas cap almost certainly came from either a Celica GTS or Corolla something-something (can't recall what the designation was for the 2ZZGE Corolla). This would also explain why Lotus does not offer a locking gas cap - the Corolla does not have one, and to design a locking one, Lotus would have to do additional emissions testing to certify it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts