The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks guys, just bought the car early lastweek. Want to make sure I can drive enough to get some premium gas at a Shell or Cheveron. Thanks. -JD

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
One time, leaving Las Vegas with the gas light more than on. ZERO bars. Somewhere just after I got on south 15, there was no bars left. Totally blank. I kept going. To Jean. 31 miles. It was a Kramer moment. I never felt so alive.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Well, that gauge is never accurate. It actually changes based on how you drive (hard or soft) in my experience.

I've driven on zero bars and was TERRIFIED. I thought 2.5 bars would be PLENTY to drive 60 miles, but I didn't realize I'd have to chase Lamborghinis that were going 170...

Don't ask!!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I don't have the manual readily available, but I believe the the light should go on when there's a specific amount of gas remaining? One would think it'd be at least a gallon or more.
The tank holds 10.6 Gallons (or 40 litres)

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
When my light goes on, I have one bar left and fill up, it is usually around 8 gallons to fill, but sometimes more and sometimes less. That helps a lot doesn't it?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
in 14,500 miles only once did i get 9.0 gallons in.
i guess it depends on how far you'll walk to get more fuel.
i think the bad stuff at the bottom thing is an old wive's tale.
you always draw fuel from the bottom unless there's a flop tube setup and we don't have that.
my light goes on at about 8.5 gallons.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I don't have the manual readily available, but I believe the the light should go on when there's a specific amount of gas remaining? One would think it'd be at least a gallon or more.
The tank holds 10.6 Gallons (or 40 litres)
I believe the manual specifies that the light comes on at 1.3 u.s. gallons remaining... IF its accurate, it implies a good 20-25 miles of highway driving (depending on the typical factors, weight, type of driving, etc.). I usually find something within 10 miles, because, well, its a Lotus.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
My guess is about 60 miles. I try to fill up before the light comes on but it has come on a few times. It takes about 8.5 gal to fill the 10.6 gal tank when the light comes on. I've gone 35-40 with the light on and it took 9.7 gal to fill.

You should avoid running on a very low tank. There's a possibility of fuel starvation at the pump which can cause brief "over revving" of the pump.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Fuel cools your fuel pump too, it sorta kinda needs it to run properly. Don't cheap out, fill up, whatever gas is left over isn't going to make a difference, besides what's cheaper running with some "old gas" in there til the next fill up, or replacing a fuel pump sooner than expected? :p

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
ive run out of gas before. to my credit though it was when my whole cluster pod was not working, so i had no idea where i was with regards to fuel. that night sucked!

it s a foggy light rainny night with no moon, and i was parked on the shoulder of the garden state parkway, between exits. i had coasted to a stop just behind another car pulled off on the shoulder. i was so happy! but i guess they thought i was some kinda creep as they speed off only a few mins later. after about 15 mins my battiers went dead and i had no hazards. AAA was on there way but some how had my direction wrong. so it took an extra 40 mins to find me. and my cell was almost dead. '

note do not run out of gas

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
I run the car down to where the light is on every time and I've never even put 8 gallons into it...

I'd assume you could go 50 miles after the light came on if you kept your speeds down. It's not good for the car (or your stress level) to run it out of fuel though so why risk it?

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
My most recent fill-up came with the gas pump icon showing and maybe one bar left. I topped it off and got 6.75 gallons in there. Not the most accurate guage I've seen...generally, when I get to two bars, I fill up because I never know when I want to point it west and head up into the mountains for no particular reason!

Tom

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I went about 31 miles with no bars. Coming home from work I was in a hurry and figured I would get gas the next morning. I'm happy I did b/c I pulled out of my garage, stopped to put my sunglasses on in the driveway and the car shut off. It was empty' i went all the way! I don't recomend doing this.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Of course the smartass answer to the question is that you can continue to drive until you run out of gas. How far that might be is questionable. My warning light seems to come on when the gauge is down to the last bar. I seem to get about another 30 miles before the last segment of that bar vanishes.

But the capacity of the fuel system seems to be somewhat larger than the 40 liters (or 10.6 gal.) shown in the manual. I've put as much as 11.099 gal. in the tank, and since I hadn't run dry before I filled it, there must have been some gas in the tank.

It would be helpful to have a gas gauge that actually indicated the amount of fuel in the tank.

Bill Bowser

·
Registered
87 Posts
Fuel light comes on when I get down to 1 bar. Fuel guage can go from 3 full bars to less than one in about half a mile... after restarting goes back to 3 bars (at a stop, fuel not sloshing around in there). Don't rely on the accuracy of the low fuel light, just keep her filled up.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I've put as much as 11.099 gal. in the tank, and since I hadn't run dry before I filled it, there must have been some gas in the tank.
May I humbly suggest that the pump was shorting you?

xtn

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Wasn't there a study done recently on the benefits of always filling up when you're between 1/4 tank and 1/2 tank remaining?

I've been filling up pretty regularly. Tank is small to begin with so getting less than 3/4 tank of gas makes it feel like a quick cheap visit to the gas station. Shame I make so many of them. =) =)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts