The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else been approached by strangers at the gas station asking for "just a few bucks"? I've had this happen to me about 5 times recently... oddly enough it's not just the vagrants that hang out there all the time, but middle class people also. I even had a dude wearing a polo shirt, khakis, and holding an iPhone ask if I had a few bucks to spare so he could gas up his Durango!!!

Our cars seem to attract a lot of attention and I get the overwhelming vibe of jealousy lately. Others are barely scraping by and here we are driving our exotic looking cars.

Anyway, onto my scary story. I was filling up the Lexus when a working class fellow comes up to me and asks if he can have $5 for gas. I said I didn't have any cash and was only using a card... sorry.

He kept hanging around and said: "Come on dude. There is an ATM right at the entrance of the store, just withdraw $20, buy something inside, and let me have just $5"
Me: "Sorry, I'm in kind of a hurry"
Him: "COME ON! YOU HAVE A F***** LEXUS!! CAN'T YOU SPARE JUST $5?!"
Me: "No, sorry."

I started to put my card back into my wallet and he looked inside to see a hint of green. That's when he got really riled up.

Dude: "WTF!!! You do have cash!!" *reaches into his front pocket*

I backed up and actually put my hand on my 9mm pistol concealed IWB... We kind of looked at each other for a minute before he decided to back down. He said something about me being a "stingy ass rich mother f***" before getting back into his truck and taking off. My heart was pounding... that was the closest I've ever been to having to draw on someone...

Who would have thought that $4/gallon gas would cause so much angst and trouble in the community :crazyeyes

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
You were about to get robbed. A similar situation occurred to my dad in a bad part of town in Detroit. His car broke down, he went to a McDonald's to wait, some girls approached him to ask for some money, he said no. As he has walking to his car, he saw the two girls and two thug guys following him. Luckily, the tow truck just pulled up and he jumped in.

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to mention that it was in broad daylight at around 3:30 pm...

Being robbed is one thing, being attacked with a weapon is another. If he had said something like: "Give me the money that's in your wallet or I'll beat you up" I would have just handed it over. Reaching into his pocket and making a forward motion toward me is :no:

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Glad you kept a cool head - My problem is a can't find a good holster location because the lotus seats are so tight :) alot of people are becoming more and more desperate and I agree that I have seen people begging looking like they just came out of an office job! I fuel my car up at a station near me because it is always busy and well lit - It's when I am traveling and stopping for fuel at random stations that I seem to have the most trouble!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
We have a gas station at the entrance to my community, and it's a fairly wealthy area (about 1/3 of the homes are 1 mill+) and about 25% of the time I stop for gas I get asked for a few bucks. Even happened to me in La Jolla, which for you non so-cal folks is known to be a very rich area.

Luckily I haven't had a weapon drawn on me yet. :crazyeyes

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Sometimes I go out of my way to make sure I gas up at the rich peoples' gas station on the good side of town. I don't think they'll even let you buy gasoline there unless your car cost $40K or more.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Only in Oakland

Few years ago (2004), gassing up a rental car in Oakland near the airport, had a guy approach me and as for some spare cash. Long story short: gave him $10, but can't say he was threatening in any real way. Guess I was just surprised to be asked for money at a gas station...

·
Registered
836 Posts
I tried many different holsters and none of them worked in the Lotus seats, paddle holster is my solution for now, easy in, easy off

:shift:

Glad you kept a cool head - My problem is a can't find a good holster location because the lotus seats are so tight :) alot of people are becoming more and more desperate and I agree that I have seen people begging looking like they just came out of an office job! I fuel my car up at a station near me because it is always busy and well lit - It's when I am traveling and stopping for fuel at random stations that I seem to have the most trouble!

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
It appears to me a "strong asking" is really just a way for the crook to get around from the risk of flat out robbing you... "No officer I didnt demand the money I just asked"... Yeah right more like scared the sh!t out of someone until they gave in to get away from you.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I'm kinda scared that sorta thing is gonna happen when my exige gets here... the costco station is pretty busy tho and doesnt accept cash...
fortunatly there arent alot of guns on my island(hell I dont even know where you can buy one) but if someone pulls a knife or something on me I do have something I keep on myself that would incapacitate any would be attackers(not why I have it tho :p)... granted I'm not sure about the legality of permantly blinding someone to defend yourself but I am sure that is the last thing on your mind when something like that is going down

plus our cops are worthless for anything but speeding tickets(read totally worthless)... my boss found a guy a few years back rolling in the waves with his hands ziptied behind his back and a bullet hole in his head and it was listed as a "possible suicide"

·
Premium Member
11,717 Posts
On NPR this week, heard stories about people claiming that they've run out of gas, to get the free gallon or two that the state says should be provided.

They've begun to keep records of repeat offenders, check gas gauges, etc.

I can't imagine sitting on the shoulder of a hwy waiting for $10 worth of gas. It could be dangerous.

I think this is more group panic than anything else. If a car gets 25 mpg and is driven 15k miles/year, that's 600 gallons. $1200 spread over a year is $23/week. Maybe give up cable tv? dining out? alcohol?

Also reported, people living in vans, motorhomes and cars to save $$.

Neighbors don't like it, but some areas have no laws against it.

Me, I'd move to a trailer park....rotfl Do they have 2-car garages??

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
depending on the size of your weapon, a wallet holster may be a possible solution for you. i carry my kel-tec P3AT in a wallet holster. it stays in the dash cubby until i stop the car. as i'm exiting the car, it stays in my hand until i'm upright when i slip it in my back pocket. to anyone near me, it looks like i'm holding my wallet. of course my wallet stays in the car and i only step outside the car with the credit card i intend to use for the gas purchase.
I tried many different holsters and none of them worked in the Lotus seats, paddle holster is my solution for now, easy in, easy off

:shift:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Glock 36 in a DEA Paddle, easy to palm and fits in the cargo net pocket between the seats....

Galco "Miami Vice" shoulder holster, is another brilliant choice....(Les Baer SRP 1911)

South paw as well....

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
If a car gets 25 mpg and is driven 15k miles/year, that's 600 gallons. $1200 spread over a year is $23/week.
Math is off here. Gas is $4 a gallon, so $2400 / year and $46 / week.

Gun guys: What do you do whn pulled over? Only thing cops hate worse than perceived rich people would be perceived rich people with concealed weapons. They'd take me to jail every time.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts