The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night, the low fuel warning light went on. So I hit the first gas station I saw (didn't want to run out!) and only put in 8 gallons (I have only filled it up twice so far).

Questions:

1) Is that about right for all the cars (seems like a lot of gas left considering a 10.6 gallon tank).

2) Am I correct to assume I have another 2.5 gallons (or 50 miles+ range).

3) Has anyone ran out of gas yet?

:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,466 Posts
One thing I've noticed is that the low fuel light lights earlier and the gauge reads lower when going up hill. The opposite is true as well.

This is a pretty common thing from some of the other cars I have (in some cases downhill reads lower).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
29,081 Posts
Leaving Las Vegas 2 weeks ago, I ran it lower than I have ever ran it as far as the gauge. It had no bars. Nothing. Just a slim rectangle over the area that has bars. And I drove like that for about 15 miles until we found the next gas station. I was sweating bullets, sure I was going to run out.

Funny though, I put in less than 10 gallons.

Most of the time when the yellow low fuel light is on, I don't worry about it for another 30 miles or so. And when I fill up, it takes 9.5-10 gallons.
 

·
insert clever title here
Joined
·
7,702 Posts
Mine took 8.2 gallons when the fuel light came on. I don't know how much of the extra 2.4 gallons can actually be sucked up by the fuel pump, but I would assume most of it. So, 50 mile range possibly, but I wouldn't push it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,941 Posts
I think the manual says that the low fuel light triggers when there is one bar remaining, and that each bar is 1.6 gallons. I recently ran it down to one skinny line of the last bar and it was fine. A little stressed though as I was out in the sticks.

I have also noticed that you can often get more gas into the car after a pump automatically turns off. Often over a gallon more. However Lotus cautions not to top off the gas. Since this can lead to overloading the fuel tank's ventilation system, wet carbon filters and so forth. Which can lead to smelling gas fumes...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,150 Posts
Like Randy, I ran it down to no bars, had driven 28 miles with the warning light on, and when I finally found a station in rural Virginia it took 9.9 gallons. Whew. At 8 gallons you weren't even close. :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,217 Posts
On my drive home from the dealer I got down to the last bar and not knowing what that meant I stopped for gas. The car took 7.6 gallons. I was shocked, I immediately pulled out the manual to find it holds 10.6. Maybe they're afraid we're all going to run out of gas and then give them bad reps for not having road side assistance. What's everyone getting for range with broken in cars?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,374 Posts
Only slightly related, but I still remember running out of gas when I had a quarter of a tank. It was in our old '68 Ford pickup, with the vertical tank in the cab, behind the seats. You see, the road had a high crown to it, and the gas pickup was on the left of the tank.:( Ever since then, I try not to stretch it out too far and get gas before it ever gets quite empty.

Now, my wife on the other hand, can tell you exactly how many miles she can go after the warning light comes on. It was real fun the night she was driving the Miata, and she left the gauge get lower and lower, waiting for the warning light to come on. Early Miata's don't have low gas warning lights...:huh: When we finally found a station, I but in about a half a gallon more than the tank was supposed to hold...-eek-

My Elise gets filled up when I get down to one bar...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
971 Posts
When driving cross country, I was getting around 30 mpg, and noticed that each big bar on the guage was good for about 50 miles. I only let it get to the low fuel light once. I did notice that there was quite a difference in the automatic shutoff features of various pumps. One shut off with six gallons after 197 miles and the next took 7.2 after only 189 miles, but it had to make up for the fact that there was less fuel in the tank at the start.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
29,081 Posts
TimMullen said:


My Elise gets filled up when I get down to one bar...
I was inspired by a Seinfield episode. Living on the edge. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,195 Posts
Stan said:
However Lotus cautions not to top off the gas. Since this can lead to overloading the fuel tank's ventilation system, wet carbon filters and so forth. Which can lead to smelling gas fumes...
Bummer. I like to top off (carefully). On some cars, you can see the fuel come right up to the fill pipe and get really accurate mileage numbers by topping off each time. I've turned this into an art on my motorcycle, since the range sucks anyway.

This is how some magazines rate them too -- fill to the brim, drive, repeat.

Is there something below the Lotus nozzle other than tank?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,150 Posts
I almost always wait for the light to come on before fueling, but there are gas stations everywhere around here. Guess I'm an idiot.;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,959 Posts
Heres a list of the mileage I have been getting. Note: The first one was after having the car for a few days and filling it up, so the tank might not have been full when I got the car, or they may have left it idling when theythe did the PDI testing.

The light didnt come on when I went 215 miles, but did when I went 226 and 249 miles. When the pump shuts off I give the handle an additional squeeze until it shuts off again. On the last fillup I drove about 20 miles after the light came on.

I varied my engine speed and drove a lot on the highway and kept changing between between 5th and 6th gear every 10 minutes or so when I was driving at a constant speed.


Miles
Driven Cost Price GALLONS MPG
153 14.74 2.289 6.439493228 23.75963365
226 18.54 2.299 8.064375816 28.02448759
215 17.19 2.299 7.477163984 28.75421757
249 19.68 2.349 8.378033206 29.72057927

It looks like the light is coming on at about 225 miles and the car is taking about 8 gallons. It is not good to let it run all the way down, since the tank builds up sediment and crap after time, and then you wind up sucking it into the fuel filter and clogging it up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,150 Posts
My beautiful little Fiat 850 Spyder I drove in college only had a 5 gallon gas tank in it. But if I let it get below 1/2 a tank, crap would get sucked up into the gas lines and I'd have to disasemble and blow them. Tasted great! :rolleyes:

It got old filling up my tank and every time adding only $3 of gas. At least the car got 45 MPG.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,154 Posts
TimMullen said:
Only slightly related, but I still remember running out of gas when I had a quarter of a tank. It was in our old '68 Ford pickup, with the vertical tank in the cab, behind the seats. You see, the road had a high crown to it, and the gas pickup was on the left of the tank.:( Ever since then, I try not to stretch it out too far and get gas before it ever gets quite empty.

Now, my wife on the other hand, can tell you exactly how many miles she can go after the warning light comes on. It was real fun the night she was driving the Miata, and she left the gauge get lower and lower, waiting for the warning light to come on. Early Miata's don't have low gas warning lights...:huh: When we finally found a station, I but in about a half a gallon more than the tank was supposed to hold...-eek-

My Elise gets filled up when I get down to one bar...
My 1990 Miata has no fuel warning light. The E to F scale covers 10 gallons, so when you hit empty you still have half a gallon in reserve. As you use that up, the needle drops below the E. I've never run out of gas, but I have been running on fumes a couple of times, as I have put 10.4 gallons in on occasion. Generally not worth the angst created by pushing it so far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,154 Posts
xxxotic said:
Heres a list of the mileage I have been getting. Note: The first one was after having the car for a few days and filling it up, so the tank might not have been full when I got the car, or they may have left it idling when theythe did the PDI testing.

The light didnt come on when I went 215 miles, but did when I went 226 and 249 miles. When the pump shuts off I give the handle an additional squeeze until it shuts off again. On the last fillup I drove about 20 miles after the light came on.

I varied my engine speed and drove a lot on the highway and kept changing between between 5th and 6th gear every 10 minutes or so when I was driving at a constant speed.


Miles
Driven Cost Price GALLONS MPG
153 14.74 2.289 6.439493228 23.75963365
226 18.54 2.299 8.064375816 28.02448759
215 17.19 2.299 7.477163984 28.75421757
249 19.68 2.349 8.378033206 29.72057927

It looks like the light is coming on at about 225 miles and the car is taking about 8 gallons. It is not good to let it run all the way down, since the tank builds up sediment and crap after time, and then you wind up sucking it into the fuel filter and clogging it up.
You seem to be getting better mileage with the more expensive gas. :p
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top