The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
Just wanted to share a pet project I've been working on for a gated shifter. I've always loved the look of those, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Attaching a shot of my V1 3-d printed prototype, I'll be using this thread to update with progress.

I've already found that the symmetric H pattern isn't going to work - it's not possible to get the throws I need for all gears and have all gates be the same length as I don't have enough opening to work with, so I'm moving to a stair-step model, pictures attached. With this pattern, each gate closely fits the actual gear throw, which I think is kind of cool.

The V2 model has angled sidewalls to account for the shifter rod angle in 1,2 & 5,6, and moves the gates a little lower on the plate to get better clearance in neutral.

I was initially concerned about how it'd feel, but the tight gates actually lock the shifter in place & reduce slop. It feels pretty good actually!

The idea is to get this CNC machined in brushed aluminum once I'm happy with it. Will post updates as things move along...I'm using a 3-d print shop so turnaround times are ~1.5 weeks unfortunately.

Attachments

·
Registered
956 Posts
Wow, what a cool project. Now just add some LED lighting underneath!

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! LEDs would certainly be interesting if done right. The area under there isn't exactly all that appealing to look at, it'd need some thought. :)

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If this works out well, I'd definitely consider selling it, though may work with an established elige parts provider to get the cost down. No idea how much the CNC's going to cost, but I imagine it's not going to be cheap! First step is to get it working well & polished :D

·
Less is Better
2,627 Posts
I REALLY like the appearance of that and it will be great in Al. Nice job. It looks like you're planning to use a really thick plate. Any particular reason for that? Unfortunately for me it looks like my ShiftR111 wouldn't work with something like that.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys!
@me73 - my inspiration has been Lamborghini gated shifters, which have pretty thick plates: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ab/53/4c/ab534c9cce7a915c1f5df0d69109e311.jpg

I didn't want this mod to look aftermarket, and some thinner plated shift gates I've seen look a little cheap/plasticky: https://uniqperformance.ca/wp-content/uploads/IMG_8193-768x1365.png.
@Brandonm84 - definitely, I'll shoot a video once my V2 print comes in. I misjudged the throw positions with the V1, so it wouldn't be very indicative.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Playing around with raising the plate up a bit. There's a practical purpose to doing so, as the shifter linkage can collide with the plate if it's too low when shifting into reverse (this is an argument for making it not as thick...this shot has the height decreased by .1 inch)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I REALLY like the appearance of that and it will be great in Al. Nice job. It looks like you're planning to use a really thick plate. Any particular reason for that? Unfortunately for me it looks like my ShiftR111 wouldn't work with something like that.

@me73 - Do you know what specifically about the ShiftR111 kit wouldn't work with this? I just took a look at some photos, seems like unless you have the short throw shifter(which might also work if it's really just shorter in the y-axis), the gear pattern & separation should be the same?

I had to remove the reverse lockout, which is something you'd need to do as well but apart from that, is there another issue that'd prevent you from using something like this?

·
Less is Better
2,627 Posts
@me73 - Do you know what specifically about the ShiftR111 kit wouldn't work with this? I just took a look at some photos, seems like unless you have the short throw shifter(which might also work if it's really just shorter in the y-axis), the gear pattern & separation should be the same?

I had to remove the reverse lockout, which is something you'd need to do as well but apart from that, is there another issue that'd prevent you from using something like this?
Going from memory I thought the beam/shaft transition was high up the shifter on the ShiftR. There's an interference between the reverse cable stop and the console/boot seam so I thought that meant the reverse stop would be too high up. But on second look, I think it might be low enough for a gate to work. It looks like the reverse stop on the ShiftR is nearly the same height as the shift cable bracket on the stock unit.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Going from memory I thought the beam/shaft transition was high up the shifter on the ShiftR. There's an interference between the reverse cable stop and the console/boot seam so I thought that meant the reverse stop would be too high up. But on second look, I think it might be low enough for a gate to work. It looks like the reverse stop on the ShiftR is nearly the same height as the shift cable bracket on the stock unit.
Thanks for the photos! That is super helpful. Yeah it does look like it'd be workable, though of course would need some testing to ensure it.

Edit: Though from those photos it seems as if the rod portion itself starts higher up on the ShiftR. That might be an issue, as the linkage/bracket is right below the plate (in fact I had to move the plate up a bit to accomodate it)

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
I’ve been wanting this for years. I’d take one without a logo and brushed Al. Maybe even powder coated satin black.

Reactions: Varun916

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
This is a great idea!!! Definitely in for a group buy. Seeing I have quite a few CF pieces including console, the Al might be a great contrast to it and go well with the rest of the stock Al. Subscribing!

Gabe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Supporting Vendor
4,248 Posts
This is a product that people will like. Getting the gated plate to line up with the top of the console may be the hardest part. The shift boot provides alot of flexibility for gear lever position variation. Wide slots may be the solution but will obviously need to be different when a short-shift kit is installed vs stock throws.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is a product that people will like. Getting the gated plate to line up with the top of the console may be the hardest part. The shift boot provides alot of flexibility for gear lever position variation. Wide slots may be the solution but will obviously need to be different when a short-shift kit is installed vs stock throws.
Thanks for the tips Shinoo! Throw variability between cars is something I've been wondering about - I'd have imagined them to be relatively close, but I need to confirm that.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good news everyone! I've partnered with Greg at @GregsRaceParts to bring this to market. There's a lot of testing we need to do first to make sure it'll actually be viable, but I'm optimistic that it'll all work out :) Greg has laser engraving & anodization capabilities too, so that opens up possibilities.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts