The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have had my car for about two and half years and have noticed on a couple of occasions that my gauges would just drop to zero. Tac and speedometer would read nothing with no access of signal or AC controls. AC controls still work but no indicator lights that they are working. Turn signal do not work at all.
In the past this would only happen briefly but a restart of the car restart took care of it. This time I cannot get the gauges to work again. Anyone else having this problem or seen this before.
Would a battery disconnect and ECU reset fix this possibly?
Not sure what is going on here but it scares me a little bit with only about eight months left of warranty.
All suggestions welcome. Well, most suggestions welcome :)

Update
Turning on turn signals and the headlights go out
Turning on front defrost and headlights go out
Dome light will not go out unless I turn it off
This is just wacky

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Sounds like a connector issue. Probably gone from intermittent no connection to no connection at all.

Just take the car to the dealer, the moment the mechanic takes a look the connector will miraculously work and everything will be OK until you get back home.

·
Premium Member
6,981 Posts
Remove cover over speedo on dash and check your plugs!

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Remove cover over speedo on dash and check your plugs!
Looking for help removing speedo cover. Is this the airbag cover over the binnacle?
any trick to getting in there? :shrug:
Could a BCM be going out?
Thank You

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
I think he means the round piece inf front of the cover. Its just held by velcro.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think he means the round piece inf front of the cover. Its just held by velcro.
I will check it out and report back

·
Premium Member
6,981 Posts
Correct. and as usual the velcro will be stronger than the adhesive holding the velcro strips.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Connectors looked good. I unplugged and replugged them back in. still no gauges.
I have lights in the gauge cluster. the little car schematic shows when the doors are open, but no tire pressure. I also have temp reading in the left side of the cluster.
Lights on the AC controls (AC and recirculate buttons) do not come on but the controls seem to work. Lights around the fan controls work.
Really have no idea what is going on here
Used my OBDII tool and no CELs or trouble codes

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
I've attached the schematic of the instrument cluster. I'm pretty sure its the CAN-bus, which is going through connector A. The CAN-bus data doesn't seem to be getting through, so best to check the functions one by one to validate that. If they're all dead its the bus, otherwise the cluster itself.

Attachments

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow thanks tbd_evora !! :bow:
I think :shrug:

This is were I let the dealer and warranty take over.

Thanks for being such a great resource :bow:

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
I had this problem with my Exige a lot...came down to my battery on the negative side had a loose connection ! Tightened it up never happened again! Sometimes look to simple things first...

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had this problem with my Exige a lot...came down to my battery on the negative side had a loose connection ! Tightened it up never happened again! Sometimes look to simple things first...
Worth a try. I have cycled the power, removing and reconnecting power cables. I will go out and check the ground again

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
for what its worth I recently had some similar issues with my Elise display (intermittent loss of functionality)... actually a pretty common issue for our cars after doing some research

ended up being the CANbus connector/wires (white plug on my car)

repositioned the wires temporarily to troubleshoot & hasn't lost display since... thinking Ill probably have to recrimp the wires to the plug for a more permanent fix

glad to know Lotus still offered 'problematic dash display option' for the Evora's as well :panic:... atleast you are still under warranty

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the dealer just called
And the cause of the problem...................
................Loose fuse..............:facepalm

Really
I thought I went through every fuse. guess I missed something

Great news

1 - 15 of 15 Posts