The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Elise SC 2007, i'm willing to install a 2 gauge rack (maybe 3), which gauges should i consider first?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,549 Posts
Not sure why you'd go with a boost gauge or AF on a SC car, unless you're changing the pulley often. Once you've tuned your car the AF and boost should be static.

I went with oil pressure and temperature. Plenty of good gauges out there, just depends on what you want to spend.

San

·
Super Moderator
6,549 Posts
I personally would never want a boosted car without an A/F ratio gauge. It is a good thing to monitor and can give a heads up if something goes wrong.
On a turbocharged car where I'm changing the boost level I'd agree. On a SC car with the boost and fuel being consistent I don't see the need. Honestly unless you've decided to constantly stare at the AF gauge it won't save you. A knock sensor is a better idea. Just my opinion. My last toy ran nearly 30 pounds of boost.

San

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
On a turbocharged car where I'm changing the boost level I'd agree. On a SC car with the boost and fuel being consistent I don't see the need. Honestly unless you've decided to constantly stare at the AF gauge it won't save you. A knock sensor is a better idea. Just my opinion. My last toy ran nearly 30 pounds of boost.

San
While true it is more an issue with a turbo car there are many with a SC car that will at some point, change their exhaust, intake, pulley size or manifold, etc. They will usually mess with it and it just nice to see what the car is doing fuel wise.

·
Super Moderator
6,549 Posts
While true it is more an issue with a turbo car there are many with a SC car that will at some point, change their exhaust, intake, pulley size or manifold, etc. They will usually mess with it and it just nice to see what the car is doing fuel wise.
I wouldn't change a major component without measuring the results. My AF looks quite good to me.

San

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Personally speaking, my vote is for Prosport gauges. I just recently purchased a Prosport Evo Boost and AFR gauge for my set up (mostly because i wanted to run two gauges, and really i was told AFR was the only one that is really important, being my typical symmetrical self). But their gauges look GORGEOUS are not to bright at all, SUPER easy to install, and their customer service is by far the BEST I have ever worked with. Also, their system is very accurate, and flawless. They have A LOT of various gauge designs, so you can pick and choose and their prices are REALLY good.

I know alot of guys suggest Defi and AEM, but Prosport makes gauges that are just as good if not better for less money, and they really are just a great group of guys to talk to, if you ever need to. They worked with me over a period of 5 months with an issue I had (ended up being a bad ground connection), and sent me a replacement boost sending unit, also sent me a 2nd gauge while I still had the first just to make sure my gauge was reading the same as the "new" one did. Talked with me over the phone, and not once did Kyle (head tech) sound annoyed or bothered, just super polite and supportive. They were even going to swap gauges out for me had we not resolved the problem to a completely different line without arguement.

So my vote, PROSPORT Gauges!!! Prosport Gauges - Boost gauges, Wideband Air Fuel Ratio, 80mm tachometers, 80mm Boost gauges,Oil pressure gauges, peak warning Gauges. Wideband Air Fuel Ratio Gauges, 45mm gauges

·
Super Moderator
6,549 Posts
Sorry, if you have the cash to spare I'd have to recommend Defi. Had 'em, loved 'em, just can't justify the cost on the Lotus, mostly because this car doesn't need a lot of gauges, if any. I only have the one dual-purpose gauge because I have a Laminova setup I want to monitor.

San

·
Registered
159 Posts
Im looking into prosport gauges right now, iv had them on my last car, easy to install,not to bright, Im probley going with the peak/warn witch beeps and flashes if there is a problem, you can set it to go off at a spacific temp/press/ect...you have to use there senders if you tap into oem sender most likely you reads will be off.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
My generic suggestions:
OBD-II Param Gauge
[For a track car] Oil pressure (likely will want oil temp as well)
[For a boosted car] Wideband
[For turbo car] Boost gauge

FWIW in my supercharged Honda setup my gauges in the car:
- AEM Oil Pressure
- AEM Oil Temp

No boost gauge needed, its supercharged so if anything fail safe.
No AF gauge, although I have the lean protection enabled in my standalone so any bad fuel failure my engine computer will catch.
Automatic internal datalogging configured in engine computer.

·
Inactive
831 Posts
I thought that Prosport looked really good until I tried one. When I start up a race car the first thing I do is look at the oil pressure. The stupid 'opening ceremony' on the Prosport means that it is quite a while before you know what the oil pressure is. So I'm currently still using SPA, but digital gauges are hard to read. Racepak's Intelli-Gauges would be my next choice but you really need the whole works as they are data bussed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts